Exhaust too loud! | FerrariChat

Exhaust too loud!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Thomas Ruland, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    2006 F430 Love the car but just to loud when factory valves are open. I have been unable to find replacements for the exhaust bypass cutout actuators, mine have failed. Of course Ferrari only will sell the complete system. Would it create any problems if I wired the valves closed until I can find suitable replacements? The graph that I have seen seems to show them closed until around 3000 RPM and 98% of throttle is used, which in my case is never. I drive like an old woman, never much over 5-6 thousand RPM. I have had the good fortune to have owned a 1979 308, 1986 328. 2002 360 and now the 430. I do most of my own maintenance but I would appreciate some input in this matter. I do not want to create any unwanted issues. I have a Novitec Exhaust System (no valves) in good condition that I removed, if anyone is interested in buying please contact me. Thanks, Tom 321 453 5639 321 432 8369 Happy New Year!

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #2 tifoso2728, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    In my opinion, Ferrari have gone way too far in the noise making department. It does not enhance the driving experience one bit.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Roger That!

tifoso2728 likes this.
  4. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    If you compare Ferrari cars before and after 2005, I believe in their effort to make the cars feel sportier they have gone too far in the noise department !! In the 1990s you had the 512 TR and F355 that sounded just right !!! The Ferrari 360 Modena was sounded amazing in stock form (the EURO version without precats) and when the 360 CS came out everyone went crazy about how it sounded like a race-car !!!
    I believe Ferrari got carried away in each subsequent car and made them too loud !!!
    Look at the F430 that basically has the 360 CS exhaust !!!
    Sure loud exhaust is fun, but only for a short while !! After that it gets tiring !!

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    You can obtain the valves and have them fitted in place.
    Pneumatic controlled exhaust flapper valves are commonly available. Get a good quality one ... they will probably cost a couple hundred $. Avoid cheap-ass ones as they likely will not last long. Pierburg makes very good ones, but hard to find. Helical Technology is another good source and they available from Fabspeed. Get a couple of new valves and have a good shop cut out the old ones and weld in the new ones. Click here for the link to Fabspeed Helical Technology valves.

P.S. I have no association with Fabspeed.

Steve.

Bob in Makiki and Red 27 like this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Stock exhausts for these cars tend to go dirt cheap...nobody wants them. I'd check ebay, etc., but you can just replace the valves also as bisel said. They are just vacuum actuators, pretty cheap and common.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    OP should call the various used Ferrari parts houses, and also watch on Ebay and classifieds here. I am sure they must come up occasionally.

Sigmacars likes this.
  8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    +1. A few years ago I purchased a complete F430 exhaust system for $750. Muffler and exhaust tips, including valves from Exotic Auto Recycling in L.A.

Steve

9. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    #9 Mats Andersen, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Christ!. What is this bashing of a perfectly tuned and exiting oem f430 exhaust? It is one of the best sounding exhausts ever. Perhaps you are in the wrong forum? The mid engine ferraris are super sports cars and are definately designed to look and sound as something exotic. They have some savagery to them that needs to remain. Have you forgotten this? If you want comfort get the V12GT range cars instead? Or a porsche? Or any medium range sportscar with more subtle exhaust chararacter.

I think when those valves are operational again you will find it to be perfect:)
    Actually they shoudl open at more like 50-70 percent throttle, not 98%..
    Cruising in 6th gear on highway, the engine/exhaust note should be composed and comfortable. No droning.

Mats

VAF84 likes this.
  10. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    what? Speak up. WHAT?

11. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017