Exhaust Valve Vacuum Disconnected | FerrariChat

Exhaust Valve Vacuum Disconnected

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CaliforniaK, Feb 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Hello All,
    I was thinking of selling my 2010 California. A potential buyer asked for a PPI of course. One of the things found was that the left and right vacuum tube feeds into the exhaust valves were disconnected. See picture below.

So, I get it, that is not correct. But what is the actual result of leaving these disconnected? Does the valve just stay open all the time? If so, is that bad? (Besides the noise.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In that same inspection, the shocks were flagged for what appears to be dirt collecting on some seepage. See picture below.

In your opinion, is this a problem? Would YOU have it fixed? i sort of thought it was remarkably clean for a 10 year old part. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thank you VERY much for your insights!!!

Katie

2. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The vacuum lines can be plugged back on. When off the flaps stay open so the exhaust note is louder. Highly unlikely but the flaps could be seized from lack of movement for many years.

The shocks on the other hand could be a problem if leaking they need replacement and do cost a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    So, if I don't care that the car is loud, and maybe even sort of like it, can I leave the vacuum tubes disconnected? Will I harm anything by doing that?

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well that depends. If the vacuum.lines were not plugged they can be full of dirt and dust. This is why people often plug them after disconnecting them. Some also put a cap over the tubes in the solenoids where the lines would normally be, to prevent crap from getting in the solenoids.

I think it will be advisable to connect them at make sure everything works as it should. Leave it to the future owner to figure out, whether he wants a valve controller, disconnect them or leave them stock - sell the car in as good shape as possible. Also keep in mind that leaving the valves open, will take away from the bottom end torque and throttle response. Fun fact: it will make the car louder, but also slower, and it IS noticable!.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Regarding,
    HA!

My previous car was an MB AMG, which had LOADS of very low end torque. When I first drove the California, I thought it was completely gutless at low RPM, and that driving the car aggressively meant keeping the RPMs above 5K. Perhaps it was just the exhaust valves.

It is also interesting to me that the dealer didn't mention it in the half dozen times it was in their hands.... Perhaps that is a whole 'nother discussion... :)

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, the difference is noticable, but probably not by that much:)

Fact is that the original Calivwasn't very fast. Aside from not having the engine with the most torque and a ton of power, not only was the original Cali a bit of a Hector at almost 2 tonnes, but the gear ratio in the first few gears were very tall. While the Cali 30 lost 30 kg and gained a whopping 30 PS which in reality would hardly be noticable by itself, the absolutely biggest improvement and the main reason why it feels so different power wise, is because Ferrari gave it new ratios. I mean, the power to weight ratio of a Cali vs. a Cali 30, can pretty much be offset by a Cali with CF seats vs. a Cali 30 with full electric seats and maybe the individual folding rear seats etc. 30 PS and 30 KG simply isn't a lot in a 2 tonne car, but do the math in the torque put on the ground with the altered ratios, snd it is clear why the 30 is that much more spunky.

CaliforniaK likes this.