Exige 240S or F355? | FerrariChat

Exige 240S or F355?

Discussion in 'British' started by 308tr6, Mar 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I am struggling with a decision between these two cars, and thought I would get some opinions.

Price point is getting fairly close, so that isn't the main factor (mid 50s). Figured I would get a little less Ferrari bias (I am Ferrari biased already) in the British section. Actually I am British biased also (loved my TR6).

I am just finishing the restore of my 308, and eventually will probably sell it to fund this 240/355 theory, but not wanting to sell in this market. A buy seems in order however!

Anyway, .....thoughts????

2. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    They are two completely different cars. I certainly regret selling my F355 but I sold my Elise and have not looked back...a Ferrari was part of the family the Elise was just a machine (as stupid as that sounds). The F355 is a great looking great driving car. As you would expect they are expensive to fix and they have to take out the engine to change the belts which is a $5k job.

The Exige will be a great track car that you can just thrash. There is not a lot to go wrong especially with a Toyota engine. The F355 has all that cliche Ferrari soul and what not but the Exige will be a lot more fun to drive. Since you already have a Ferrari I would probably choose the Exige.

3. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Price is only one consideration - what do you want to do with it and what do you expect out of it?

Lots of track work - leaning towards the Exige (which will be significantly less expensive in terms of consumables as well)
    Daily driver - probably still the Exige
    Weekends away - F355
    Weekend windy roads... toss up

In value terms the Exige is newer so still on the steep part of the depreciation curve and will decrease in value much faster than the F355 which ahould have already suffered its biggest loss years. The conter to that is that the Exige is unlikely to cost much in maintenance and will still be under warranty.

One other key point - exhaust note - no contest :)

Really though you can't go wrong with either car - either will deliver much enjoyment for years to come :) - Tough to have to make such a decision!!

PS: I love both and for full disclosure I daily drive an Elise.

4. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, though I would love to do some track time, it is about a 6 hour adventure to get there (Denver), but not out of the question. I realize the Exige is probably "the car" in that regard. My primary use is just for a fun car to drive through the Black Hills, lots of twisties, canyons, etc. Also, I love to mess with cars, have a pretty nice shop, so mods, and adding bits and pieces, or simply changing the oil on a Sunday morning, is a lot of fun for me (that sounds weird when I say it). Maintenance cost is a definite factor, though hopefully on the 355 I would get a fairly well sorted car, and in either case, probably trade/sell in about 3 years.

My general sense is that the 355 is the "smarter investment choice", classy, Ferrari mystique, etc, and damn solid performance car, wondeful sound, but I am very into the "fun factor". So, which car would be the most fun? Can you flick a 355 around? I know the answer on the Exige.

5. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fun factor is my primary motivation too :) My wife wasn't happy with a Caterham so I had to go luxury and get the Lotus (its a tough life I know ;)). I suspect that the F355 is the next rung up the comfort ladder - I don't know if it will deliver the road speed legal thrills of the Exige (on track I'm sure it would!).

6. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #6 ...m..., Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
    ...i honestly can't speak to the 355, but the lotus is stupidly easy to fiddle with and change out bits and bobs, and likely considerably cheaper to do so, as well - a very large part of its appeal to me is its pure, basic, straightforward simplicity...

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    +1, I love both as well. Check the profile :D

8. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks for the comments, seems an Exige tendency here on the choice (is this the British section????), but is probably the direction I am leaning, though if I found a "bargain" on either car I would probably pull the trigger.

I followed 2 cars on eBay that both ended yesterday. A black 355 that ended at about $60k, not meeting reserve, and a black 240S that ended at about $37k, not meeting reserve. I didn't bid on either, but both looked to be very much in line with my interests. I was surprised that the Exige didn't get bid a little higher, and sort of surprised the 355 wouldn't have considered a sale at the $60k point in this market - though it was a later year F1, and seemed quite nice.

The Exige market seems to be particularly dead, and makes me wonder about resale in a couple years, but I understand people not wanting to get totally hammered on price.

Granted, eBay isn't "right", but still some degree of a market read. In the next couple weeks I will probably start taking some serious runs at one of these. The frozen tundra in my part of the world has got be giving way pretty soon.

9. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Having owning MY99 F355 for over 4 years, I would not go to Exige S personally; although I have had my moments about the switch. There are many stories about F355 problems. The fact is beside 30k major, headers, and normal fluid change it is a very solid car. I do hammer on it whenever possible. And if you like to do the basic stuff yourself, find a well sorted car with upgrade headers and high flow cats, all you need is just to save up for the 30k major then. BTW, the coupes and GTS are the way to go IMHO... :)

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    All the eliges seem to be appreciating. If the car is stock that’s better in terms of future value. The Ferrari has all thenItalian drama.

The exige simply outperforms pretty much everything, there simply no driving experience that compares, it’s the lightness and precision, the directness of the controls while there is this feeling through the wheel of delicacy of movement.

Of the elige theee simply will not be an oem
    Road car like it again, it’s teuly special. However you have to drive one, you’ll either get it and love it or hate it.

The elige also costs near nothing to run, whereas the purchase cost of the Ferrari is just the beginning.

Wind the clock forwards 5 years all
    In, financially you’ll be better off with the elige.

It’s really two different experiences, drive both, whichever you choose, decision will be easy for you after that.

12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I fit in the 355. (For the most part)

I do not fit in the exige... (at all)

Robb

ShineKen likes this.
  13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie