Exotic Hides for interior trim - Zebra | FerrariChat

Exotic Hides for interior trim - Zebra

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Russ Gould, Jul 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Has anyone done an interior using Zebra hide? I want to do the rear window shelf and the door panels in Zebra with the hair on. I am a bit concerned that said hide will be too thick to tuck around the edges. Anyone?

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Zebra with the hair? (Checking calendar... nope, it's not April 1)

IMHO, a Ferrari with hairy zebra interior is about as tacky as the legendarily tacky Rolex Leopard Daytona.

Keith Darby likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    IIRC, about 25-30 years ago I did some work on a 1956 Imperial that was some special order example gifted/delivered new to a CEO/Chairman/Heir/President/something of some fire arms/rifle manufacturer (Remington perhaps ?) and it had Zebra insert sections on the seats and door panels, along with its two-tone (red & white) leather interior. The Zebra hides were said to have been from the actual hunting kill of the recipient himself. I probably still have pictures of the car and its original interior somewhere.

5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    This is the technical section, not asking for aesthetic input. If you like vinyl, which is the factory finish on the door panels, more power to you. If you like that berber cloth on the rear shelf that collects dust like crazy and comes unglued when you try to clean it, go ahead.

It's my car and yes I killed the zebra.

6. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    AWESOME!! I killed 5 myself and have the skins in the house:)

7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    How sad and tasteless you are.

8. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    100% AGREE👎😡

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I like fine watches, but never heard about that. Just googled a bit. OUCH!

Best
    Martin

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Well the prancing horse and the zebra are closely related, so I think Enzo would be pleased.

I once did a gun case in Eland hide, was very pleased with that. The gun is a 20ga Jones underlever Paradox made in England in the late 1800s with hammers. It still works as intended. Hence the Eland.

(P.S. You all have leather seats in your cars right? Do you think the leather came from a factory someplace? Every cow has a mother, a father, sisters and brothers ... )

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    What car?

Please fill out your Profile.

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :D

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    +1

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Well the car is not correct to start with. It's a 288 GTO recreation by Norwood on a 308 chassis with a 355 motor and manual 355 transmission ... so I am not concerned about correctness, political or technical.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Russ, since your quest is strictly technical in nature I'd suggest asking the question elsewhere.

My impression, many of the negative responses here have to do more with the purists view of what a Ferrari is, and how it should be presented.

For example, this F-40 owner can do what he wants but it's pitiful to me.

Ferrari Purists Turn Away, Because This F40 is Hell Bent On Doing Things an Ultra-Rare Supercar Shouldn't be Doing - Moto Networks

Maybe try this:

The Hog Ring ? Auto Upholstery Community

And if you're not in a hurry, wait for their new discussion forum to come online:

How Do You Like Our New Look?

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    +1 on the tackiness. truly a poor choice.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My car is currently being redone in Spotted Owl. I cant wait to get it back. Feathers from Bird Land.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What's the point of this question? I mean, you have the hide and the door panel and parcel shelf, can you wrap it around the edge?

Post something you know will be controversial and act surprised at the responses?

Keith Darby likes this.
  19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't have the hide, it's still in Africa and I have to make a choice as to what I am going to do with it .. floor rug or upholster the car. The tanning process is different depending on the end use. So I wanted to know how difficult it would be to use in the application suggested. But it seems that this, as Wade said, is the wrong forum. I need a technical forum, not a "correctness" or "good taste" forum.

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It seems like that type of hide would be better on a floor.

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't think you need any forum, just need to decide what to do.

If you can manage an F355 drivetrain into a 288 conversion surely you can manage to get some Zebra wrapped around the interior panels.

If the thickness is too great for the panels to fit take some material off the edge of the panels to compensate.

22. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Or even better: on a zebra.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Puhleez!

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    To each his own... but the best exotic car interior I've ever seen is John Mozart's Bugatti Corsica, with Crocodile hides... I think it looks great!

25. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Russ - If you are going to use the hides for upholstery work, DO NOT have the hides tanned in Africa. Get them tanned in the States as they will be much more supple and will hold together much better. In order to answer your question, I think it would be best to talk to an upholsterer as I'm sure there will be limitation in terms of what can and cannot be done due to the hair pattern.