F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle | FerrariChat

F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Pantera, Sep 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Which one do you think would win in a straight up dogfight?

They are pretty much the same Aircraft except one is in the navy while the other is in the Air force. The Tomcat has suffered a loss to a Mig while the F-15 has yet to be defeated by another aircraft except well other F-15's.

Sparow vs the Phonix is pretty much what it would come down to.

My personal favorite is the F-15 Eagle and I think i would beat the F-14 with no problem, It has the record and the rep to prove it, until I see Eagles starting to fall out of the sky I don't believe that there will be another Aircraft that will come close besides the newer F/A-22 Raptor and possibly the new F-35 Lightining II.

What do you think?.

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I don't know what support you have to make this statement. They are completely different planes, except for the superficial aspects of delta wing and twin vertical stabs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F14#Specifications_.28F-14D_Super_Tomcat.29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_Eagle#Specifications_.28F-15C_Eagle.29

Here's another forum discussing this. As they point out, a large part of it depends on the weapons systems that each is able/configured to mount.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=10608

3. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The F-14Dtomcat and the F-15Estrike Eagle are very simlar.
    I should have been more spisfic on that.

4. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'd say the F-14 becasue its the Phenoix missle platform. the F-14 would have in incomming missles before the F-14 ever was on the F-15's radar. the F-14 was designe as a long range intercpter. the Sparrow is a POS platform compaired to the Pheonix imo.

5. rakjoe

rakjoe Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe R.
    Pantera, stop making ignorant posts and go read some military literature instead.
    F-14 vs. F-15 is not like Ferrari vs. Lamborghini....
    Those are very different weapon platforms designated for different environments and operated by two very different branches. (Of course the F-14 is getting retired as we speak)

Some info on the Air-to-Air missile Phoenix (AIM-54):
    The AIM-54 was originally developed for the cancelled F-111B naval variant, and based on the Eagle project for the cancelled F6D Missileer. Both were based on the idea of long range, slow cruise non-maneuvering missle carriers.

The Phoenix missile was the U.S. Navy's only long-range air-to-air missile. It is an airborne weapons control system with multiple-target handling capabilities, used to kill multiple air targets with conventional warheads. Near simultaneous launch is possible against up to six targets in all weather and heavy jamming environments. This is possible because of an active seeker which can illuminate the target without help from the launch aircraft. The airframe is a scaled up version of the USAF AIM-47 Falcon with 4 cruciform fins. 4 can be carried under the fueselage tunnel in special aerodynamic pallets, and 1 under each wing root. A full load is over 6,000 lb, about twice the weight of Sparrows, so it was more common to carry a mix of Sparrow and Sidewinders. Despite the much vaunted capabilities, the Phoenix was rarely used in combat with only two confirmed launches and no confirmed targets destroyed.

The US Air Force had no similar capability with the F-15 Eagle until the introduction of the AIM-120 AMRAAM. The Phoenix was designed to defend fleets against both low flying cruise missles against ground clutter and water reflections, and very high, fast aircraft such as the MiG-25 'Foxbat'. The improved Phoenix, the AIM-54C, was developed to better counter projected threats from tactical aircraft and cruise missiles. A similar missile was developed for the experimental Mach 3 Lockheed YF-12 interceptor version of their venerable Blackbird.

The AIM-54 Phoenix was retired from USN service on September 30, 2004. F-14 Tomcats will be retired on September 22, 2006. They will effectively be replaced by shorter range AIM-12 AMRAAMs, employed on the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. Both F-14 Tomcat and AIM-54 Phoenix missile continue in service of the Iranian Air Force, although the operational abilities of these aircraft and the missiles are questionable, since the United States refused to supply spare parts and maintance after the 1979 revolution.

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The AIM-120 AMRAAM has effectively replaced the AIM-7 Sparrow.

I believe it can be fitted to the F-16 and F-15, aswell as the F/A-18, and presumably other platforms with similar attachment points.

It's an over-the-horizon radar guided missile.

In a close "Top Gun" style dogfight, assuming identical pilots, the F-15 would probably win - it is faster, and more maneuverable.

Anyway, the only F-14s that will be in service after this year will be Iranian, and they wouldn't have a hope in hell against any modern Western airforces.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Agree with other Poster's...

The F14 and F15 are drastically different planes. About as different as 2 fighters of the same era can be.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The one with the better pilot.

9. rovingardener

rovingardener Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Two tailplanes, engines and seats just don't get it. Different avionics, different missions, different frames, fixed wing v swing wing and the list goes on and on and on...

From a distance I'd take the Tomcat unless the Eagle outruns it, which it would.

A closer comparison would be F-18 and F-16, but they're cheese and chalk as well.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Tomcat is BIG airplane. It was designed more for long range interception, NOT dog fighting. The F-15, F-16, F-18, are made for this role. It would be better to put the F-14 against the F-111, or British Tornado, in a "vs" competition.

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.

I agree with pretty much all the pro F15 comments - but the F14 is actually SMALLER than the F15. Here's the numbers:

F14 wingspan - 38 ft (swept)
    F14 length - 62' 8"
    F14 height - 16' 1"
    F14 max weight = 74klbs

F15 wingspan - 42 ft
    F15 length - 63' 8"
    F15 height - 18' 8"
    F15 max weight - 68klbs

So...other than max weight, the F14 is smaller in every dimension.

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Not only completely different airplanes, but completely different missions. An all weather fleet interceptor that is designed to protect the fleet from Soviet bombers with cruise missiles, vs a battlefield air superiority fighter.

The AMRAAM is more effective vs the Sparrow. All modern F15s are most likely armed with AMRAAM missiles. You mentioned a straight up engagement. - How would the PHX perform, when the F-15 would induce air combat maneuvering, and would also deploy chaff and ECM ? A lot would also have to do with airborne early warning platforms. The F15 would have much better eyes with the E3 AWACS, vs the F14 and the E2C Hawkeye. Advantage for the F15 in a furball. - Especially the 1st generation under powered throttle/engine restricted F-14A models.

As far as another aircraft coming close to the F-15 performance ? I wish that were true. I understand the Indians did very well with the SU 30MK1, in practice aerial engagements against the F-15E Strike Eagles from Elmendorf. Hopefully the Ego jets from six o'clock, will soon clean up some painted tally-ho rainian F-14As. - Spray painted rag headed mullaaaah caricatures and rainian flags just under the cockpits of the Ego jets ? Time to take care of their nuclear bomb factories.

13. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Don't know a lot about the missle systems, but if I had to choose which one I'd rather be in during a dogfight, I would pick the F-15. Saw one at the Chicago Air Show a few weeks ago, and it was amazing what that thing was able to do in the sky. And the pilot was probably flying at 5/10s, if that.

14. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Very well spoken.

15. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    both awesome planes. and F15s are huge. anyone know if F14s will play a training role with the navy after they retire?

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    No, they're too expensive to run.

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Here's a little known fact during the F-15's debut during the testing phase. The F-15 was put up against the F-5 in mock dogfighting scenarios. The nimble F-5 was nearly equal to the F-15 in maneuverability. Only when the F-15 was seated with an experienced pilot, the F-5 was shot down. However, the F-5 was doomed for replacement as the F-15 had a greater thrust to weight ratio enabling it to carry nearly its own weight in bomb configurations, whereas the F-5 could not. The F-15 had the better Hughes radar system, the F-5 did not.

"It's the man, not the machine" - Gen. Chuck Yeager

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I got that documantry on the F-15 and they talked about that ordeal. They didn't mention anything about the radar.

19. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The radar item I knew about from a relative that served in the Navy. The Hornet was his baby.

The radar topic is a discussion within itself. As technology becomes more advanced, so the the demand to see things first and better, while being shot at. Some F-5's didn't even have radar at all! And if they did, it only had a 30 mile range and was a poor information delivery system compared the the new Hughes APG family. The F-15 was outfitted with the new(at that time) Hughes APG series (APG-63) radar, which entailed longer range, target details, redundant backup system, mapping, weapon control, basicly, it was a leap in the future for the pilot. That made it a better selling point to the military.
    Both the F-15 and F-18 are McDonnel Douglas products so the Raytheon APG radar family is consistant throughout the lineup. Both planes would receive several radar upgrades right up to today.

20. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The USAF actually hated the F-5. The big ego jet with their superior systems would truly have to screw up, to lose to an F-5 in a real air engagement. Any half experienced ego jet pilot, would know to not tangle in a furball with any light day fighter. At Nellis they simulate with elite Aggressor pilots flying F-5Es and F-16Cs the finer points of close range dogfighting. The F-5 will lose a lot of energy, when it begins to turn in an aerial engagement and in addition has poor range.

Those toy day-fighter sports car aircraft are most effective in a furball, with same generation heavier multi-mission aircraft.

Tiny Indian Gnat jet aircraft chewed up the much bigger Paki Mirages and F-104s.

21. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    What is the latest fighter RADAR? Most designs I read about seems to date back to the 70's.

It seems the Hughes legacy lives on in many forms...

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Other than the radar in the F-22A, I would think it would be the radar in the UAE F-16 block 60 aircraft.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Didn't (doesn't) the upgraded Mig25 have one of the largest radars in the world. (MiG-31 FoxHound)

I know its not a fighter, but an interceptor, yet still IIRC it has/had one of the largest radars in the biz.

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    And yet despite being vastly outnumbered, the PAF had a kill ratio of over 2:1 in air combat missions over the IAF...back in the day of course.

25. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Yeah, that's what it really would come down too. But I persoanlly love the F-14, and I think it might have a chance. It would be an interesting match, but in pure dogfight, it's 90% pilot and 10% plane. But will piolts of equal skill, I'd be rooting for the F-14, but it would be cool to see a mock dogfight of an F-14 going up against an F-15.