F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Pantera, Sep 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    The Iranians shot down 159 for 1 loss. The Navy shot down 5 for 0 losses (air-to-air) Read Tom Copper's book about the Iranian Tomcats at war. Awesome! One F-14A shot down a Iraqi Mirage F1 with a AIM-54 at 10 miles! the iranian F-14's now carry the R-73 (AA-11) Archer dogfight missle and have produced the AIM-7E-6 Sparrow (with no liscense). They are out of the AIM-54 missle.

2. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    Actually the F-14 was designed as a fighter first, not an interceptor as every one thinks. The F-14 can fly as slow as 90 mph! And the F-14D could carry AMRAAM. In fact the first AIM-120 tests were with the Tomcat, not the Eagle. The F-14 is more manouverable then anything in the sky, although the F-16 is more agile.

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My dad's airplane, can beat up your dad's airplane.

As far as the air-to-air kills post Vietnam, it has all been against a bunch of worthless opponents, who are simply loyal to the corrupt military dictatorship. These hapless loyal "pilots," could not find their way out of a wet paper bag. The Mig-29 is actually a good ride, in close-in air combat. - Given the reports I have read.

When it comes to a furball, pilot skill has a lot to do with, who actually gets to be the hot-shot at the bar, and has the privilege to buy steaks and drinks for the squadron.

4. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    F35 & F22!!! end thread/

5. afterburner81

afterburner81 Rookie

Oct 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Glenn
    LOL. Well put. Like I said, it's like beating a dead horse over and over. Let's just leave it to the pilots who've actually flown them. Ok now end thread.

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Those are the two most overated airplanes in the world.

7. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

The Tomcats orginal design was built to shoot down sovet bombers, distoryers and even missiles in large formations where as the Eagle was built to tango with Mig's.

To me they both sound like Air Superiority fighters.

8. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

The plane was lost for a reason. It wasn't a Mig 21 either I believe it was a Mig27 or an Su-27.

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    And that would be based on your vast flying experience, right?

I hope I can be like you when I am older - there are so many things you are an expert on. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLaren's and apparently fighter jets too. You're batman!

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It happens when you are a teenager.

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    That's a load of horse poo. You're talking outta your ass.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #87 LetsJet, May 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    sure buddy you show me an aircraft that can beat the eagle headsup and then ill start believing in stealthy planes.

The Su-27 and eurofighter just don't cut it.

14. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    What and your like 40 and still acting like a preteen.

15. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    Let's get back on topic.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I drive a Dodge Stratus!

17. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  18. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I certainly believe this to be true. I remember watching a US Senator in a press conference expressing our need for a stealth bomber. (Back in the days when the cold war still existed). A reporter said "I've heard the Russians have developed new radar that can track these stealthy planes"
    The Senators response was "Yes that is true but we can send in a missle in advance to knock out those radar sites" I was a kid sitting at home watching television but my immediate response was "If you can send in a missle to knock out the radar then why can't you send in a missle for the target?" If we can destroy anything with missles aren't we wasting money on airplanes.

19. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I totally agree.

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

21. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    I think i heard some romours about that. Don't know how real it is. Just probably some British military geeks how want to say that there better then the USA.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Its probably some bullsh1t.

Everybody believes the Su-27 is gods gift to the sky and would dominate american fighters but the realitie is that it had a tough time against the Mig-29.

Its just away to sturup crap for the media to talk about.

23. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    If the F-22 can beat the Eagle so easily, then it would cream the Su-27 any day. The only aircraft to pose a threat to the F-22 is the Berkut, but only in a dogfight. But then our pilots are so superior that it wouldn't matter.

24. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    You mean the Su-37 Terminator?

The Berkut was the prototype and the Terminator was the production model. Both where set to dominate the F-15 Eagle then thats when the USAF created the ATF program, built the raptor, and the Terminator is now Terminated!, The russians hacked the program in the late 90's because they thought it was pointless to put a fighter on the market that will lose to the west newest fighter.

Now they are building a new "Stealthy" aircraft with the capablitles of the Su-37 but as stealthy as a raptor. Think of the modern day Firefox.

25. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    why would the Sukhoi pose a threat to the raptor in a dogfight? both have thrust-vectoring, so I assume it will depend on the pilot.

I have also heard that the Eurofighter has the edge over the Raptor in dogfight(WVR) while the Raptor has the edge on BVR. While I don't doubt that the Raptor will beat the Euro Typhoon on BVR fight, I haven't got a satisfactorily answer why the Typhoon would beat the Raptor on WVR fight. The Typhoon doesn't have thrust-vectoring, although it will probablt get it in future upgrade.

here is the video of the raptor. It can pull stunts just like the Sukhoi/Mig
    http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/videos/F22_AirShow_Langley.wmv