F-22 - Su-35 conflict? | FerrariChat

F-22 - Su-35 conflict?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Dec 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Who really knows. If I were a betting man, I would call bs on the Russians claiming their radar/sensor suite could track, let alone find an F22, especially at the range they quoted. Put it this way, if you had the skills and had to choose between these two amazing aircraft to go into a dogfight, what would you choose? F22 for me.....its a no brainer. You get what you pay for in this world. I'm not even American but I have absolutely no doubt that the US airforce would absolutely annihilate any other airforce on earth. Just my two cents.

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    What was the ROE for the F-22, at the time of the engagement.

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's possible the F-22 was flying with drop tanks and/or external munitions and as a result wasn't stealthy.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The F-22 has ways to fly "unstealthy" even without external stores, such as when it is flying under civilian ATC. Perhaps they do that intentionally in Syria to hide their stealthiness from the Russians; then the Russians can't really find out if stealthy Raptors are trackable.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    'Seeing' an aircraft via primary radar return is not the same as interrogating and receiving a transponder code (i.e. civilian ATC). They are independent of each other. If anything an F-22 providing a transponder code only makes it easier for the Russians to test/enhance their radars to achieve a primary return.

6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is it possible that there are some panels that the F-22 can display to magnify itself as a primary target? I think that's what I was thinking of when I read "unstealthy."

Just running with the transponder on is a different deal, and I can see why they wouldn't want to do that.

8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Missile bay doors, although I don't think they would run with them open. Not even sure the pilot can open them at will or whether they are slaved to an actual launch sequence.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The real story apparently is that one F-22 warned off the Su-25s using flares instead of an AIM-9 or cannon fire, and a Su-35 saw that one F-22, likely with IRST,while one it did not see watched it from 6 o'clock to ensure it did not do anything aggressive.

RWP137 and jcurry like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tensions are running high between the U.S. and Russia over operations in Syria after an F-22narrowly avoided colliding with a Russian Su-25 in midair.

Two Russian Su-25s on Dec. 13 flew into coalition airspace on the east side of the Euphrates River near Abu Kamal, Syria, violating verbal agreements that the Russians would remain west of the river and the coalition would operate to the east, according to an Air Forces Central Command spokesman. Two stealthy F-22 Raptors patrolling the area immediately noticed the Su-25s, —1980s-era fighters designed to provide close-air support for ground forces—and moved to intercept them.

The F-22s released chaff and flares near the Russian aircraft, and placed multiple calls to the Russian pilots on the emergency Guard frequency asking them to leave the airspace. However, the Su-25 pilots did not immediately move to depart the area.

At one point, one Su-25 flew close enough to an F-22 that the Raptor pilot was forced to “aggressively maneuver” to avoid a midair collision, the spokesman said.

At another point, a Russian Su-35 also flew across the river, and was shadowed closely by one of the Raptor pilots.

The incident lasted approximately 40 min. before the Russian aircraft finally flew back to the west side of the river.

During and after the event, coalition leaders at the Combined Air Operations Center (CAOC) at Al Udeid air base, Qatar, contacted the Russians over the deconfliction phone line “to de-escalate the situation and avert a strategic miscalculation,” the spokesman said.

Although high profile, the Dec. 13 incident is not the first time the Russians have violated verbal agreements with the coalition. Since early November, the Russians have flown into U.S. and coalition airspace on the east side of the river 6-8 times per day or approximately 10% percent of Russian and Syrian flights.

“If either of us needs to cross the river for any reason, we’re supposed to first deconflict via the line,” the spokesman said. “It’s become increasingly tough for our pilots to discern whether Russian pilots’ actions are deliberate or if these are just honest mistakes.”

The coalition’s greatest concern, the spokesman stressed, is that they could shoot down a Russian aircraft because its actions are seen as a threat to air or ground forces.

“We train our aircrew to take specific actions and to make every attempt possible to de-escalate the situation wherever possible,” the spokesman said. “We are not here to fight the Russians and Syrians—our focus remains on defeating ISIS. That said, if anyone threatens coalition or friendly partner forces in the air or on the ground, we will defend them.”

U.S. pilots have observed increasingly alarming behavior for months as Islamic State militants lose ground in Iraq and Syria, officials told Aerospace DAILY during November visits to the CAOC and Al Dhafra air base, UAE. Lt. Col. “Ox,” a U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor pilot and commander of the 95th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron assigned to Al Dhafra, said his pilots have had numerous close calls, with Russian aircraft frequently flying within weapons range of coalition ground troops.

The Russians fighters—primarily Su-30s, Su-35s, Su-27 Flankers and Su-17 Fitters—have not made moves to attack U.S. or coalition forces, but their proximity to the ground itself is threatening, said Ox, who requested partial anonymity to discuss sensitive operations. Russian fighters regularly fly within range of coalition ground forces for twenty or thirty minutes at a time, he noted.

“We have to use our judgment to figure out, is this somebody getting close to attack our guys? Or is this somebody that is just flying a wide pattern?” Ox said. “You don’t know if they are doing this to test us, to see what our response is, or if it’s completely innocent. That’s the call that we have to make every day.”

11. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If our guys were pulling those actions do you think it would be innocent or by design? (rhetorical) Of course what the Russians are doing is by design. Cold war shenanigans in a new type of theater. Increased risk of escalation since both sides are operating in a hot 3rd party threat environment. Anything you read, from either side, is part propaganda.

Boomhauer and tomc like this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I think part of the time, the Russians do not even know where they are.

rob lay likes this.
  13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They likely don't care where they are, i.e. 'wrong' side of the Euphrates, in part because the likelihood of repercussions is nil.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    2015 F-16 1 SU-24 0
    2017 F-18 1 SU-22 0

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    really? is that the count?

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They open them during airshows as part of the Raptor demonstration, but the bays are empty. Are you suggesting maybe the demo team uses the launch sequences to open it even though it's empty just to show? I think they should be able to open it at will in flight without launching...

http://airheadsfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/f22weaponbay140726fhv225284_usaf.jpg

17. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    neither was US vs Russia

18. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not suggesting anything, I said I don't know what the protocols are. However in combat it would just be more pilot workload if not automated.

19. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sort of. Turkish F-16 shot down a Russian S-24. US F-18 shot down a Syrian S-22.

rob lay likes this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah in combat I don't think it would do anything other than slow them down, but I can see why they'd add that feature for the weird situation they may need it that I probably can't think of.

jcurry likes this.
  21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I don't know if the F-22 has the same issue or not but on the F-35 they have to open the weapon bay doors in flight to cool down the bay from overheating in certain situations.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not a problem I have heard about on either aircraft. The weapons bay doors on the F-117, B-2, F-22, and F-35 are all designed to open and close as quickly as possible during weapon release to cut down on the radar flash seen when they are open. Obviously, all can be opened manually.

23. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a19199/pentagon-reports-puts-hard-limits-on-f-35s-combat-utility/

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I guess we just flew around with "truck nuts" hanging...at least they stayed cool!

and, by the way, no one chased us away from anything...ever!

Image Unavailable, Please Login