F1 612 Scaglietti window switch removal | FerrariChat

F1 612 Scaglietti window switch removal

Discussion in '612/599' started by Italiancarken, Dec 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Italiancarken

Italiancarken Rookie

Jul 22, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ken B
    driver’s door window switch has broken. How does one remove the switch? Can it be fixed or is a factory part only solution? Thanks Ken

2. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Same thing happened to me: easiest is to swap over with the passenger seat switch if you don't want to buy a new unit. The only downside is that you'll need to reach for the passenger door to open that window. They all brake if not handled very carefully...

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There was a DIY posted here a few years ago on a very long resto thread. I think it was the hydrolocked car. But the guy took the box out and glued it back. Sorry I can't be more specific off the top of my head, but I know it's been done. Maybe swap it with the pax unit and take your time working on a fix.

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, look back at the "Here is a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 today thread"...

The repair works perfectly. Still perfect after a few years. Better than OEM. Will save you $1000+ per side. Only requires black RTV. PM me with any questions after you review the thread. Original poster was TRYGVE11 but her was banned for making a single business posting.

5. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    Yes I remember that thread and there’s was a post about fixing the window switch.

I had the same problem with mine but picked up a used unit on eBay for a fraction of the price. I believe its the same unit as on the Maserati QP. They’re vary delicate so I always handle with care now.

You can also check Dave from StockyRX as i think he may have some experience with fixing them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Italiancarken

Italiancarken Rookie

Jul 22, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ken B
    Many thanks for help. Will follow up and let you know how I go.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    The switch portion on the QP is the same but it isn't typically the switch part that does bad, it is the rocker portions that lie on top of the switch (but can't be purchased separately).

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My passenger side window switch broke. I took it to Aston Martin New England. They removed it, repaired it, and it is stronger than the original. I think it cost me around $200 versus about $1200 for a replacement switch.

9. LuxLife458

LuxLife458 Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    What were they able to do exactly to avoid replacing it? I have a car I'm negotiating now with a broken switch and am having the dealer fix it...but would like to know in case the other one fails.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We repair many parts when we refinish. Repair methods vary greatly depending on the type of damage and location. We often embed metal rods for strength.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In my case the switch broke near a rocker that the toggle switch attached to. They used some type of plastic to rebuild it. I can't remember the name, but it was something like this -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263428070091?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

12. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I may be a bit slow on the uptake here but TRYGVE11 was banned? He was a great contributor with one of the best threads of all time!

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Love to know why.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Me too. I looked up his last post and it was Sept. 2016 (ordinary post about his trip to Maranello). It's funny how I didn't realize I hadn't read any of his posts in so long. He was a fabulous source to this forum.

Makuono likes this.