F1 driver career earnings . . . . | FerrariChat

F1 driver career earnings . . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jean-Pierre Marchand, Apr 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    It says "includes salaries and bonuses only" which raises a boatload of questions regarding endorsements, etc. But a fun topic to discuss . . .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Now where to live-->Monaco, Geneva, etc. (tax havens)

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and crinoid like this.
  3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    If that includes endorsements/sponsorship it's no surprise to see Hambone on top.

The same posters here are always whining about Hambone's "fairweather" fans and how they wish his fans would all go away when he starts losing. I look at his career as similar to Tiger Woods here in the US. They have big personalities, exemplify diversity, appeal to a broader fanbase. I think it's awesome they brought new fans into golf and F1 respectively.

Furthermore, by bringing in more fans, they have brought more money into their respective sports which benefits all competitors. A rising tide lifts all boats.

ATBNM3, cairns, ktu and 4 others like this.
  4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I do not see my name in the list...... so it must be a bogus list. ;)

Remy Zero and daytona355 like this.
  5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Apart from the fact that it is pervert that a guy who does nothing than driving circles earns half a billion (But that could be said about a lot of sportsmen) I wonder where these numbers are coming from. I guess a journalist tries to get a story but I doubt that he has seen all the contracts that should be base for these numbers. So I would not see this as some sort of science but entertainment with fantasy numbers...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  6. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Right. As I said, it raises a boatload of question.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    At least tiger woods has a personality, and his sport is one whereby his equipment is the same as every other golfer trying to beat him. It’s pretty easy to win races in a car a second faster than everyone else bar a teammate that is neutered to throw his races for your benefit. When he was in a second rate car from 2009, Elton didn’t shine any more than anyone else and no one gave a **** about him, it’s only the Mercedes that made him.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Right and the PGA doesnt have inferior pros qualify for thr tour and get their PGA cards because of Daddy's money (Stroll) or inferior golfers keep their card over superior golfers because of their political connections with Mexican billionaires like Perez over Ocon.

Hambone's career earnings reflect his marketability and his influence in broadening the F1 fanbase bringing in more casual fans which has brought more money into the sport which benifits all drivers. Vettel had a superior car for years and his influence on the sport is a fraction of Hambone's.

9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Oh I absolutely cared...and so did many. :) Wasn't a shadow of a doubt in my mind he was the driver on the grid in 2009. Defending champ in a second rate car (your words)...dragging it to 2 wins and 3 poles against the double-diffused Brawn (clearly best car for the first 2/3 of the season) and Red Bull (the strongest by the end of the season.) Lewis was good to watch. This year really was the beginning of the slide for McLaren with Ron Dennis stepping away and the smarmy Martin Whitmarsh taking the helm.

ATBNM3, ktu, Surfah and 2 others like this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Don't know what he was defending since he didn't won in 2007!!! As for 2009, the best driver was by far the same as in 2008 (and the won who actually won it on track), Felipe Massa, until his accident of course, one just has to look at him embarrassing Jenson in Silvertone to realize that.

lagunacc, fil and daytona355 like this.
  11. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    We're talking about the 2009 season - the year Hamilton was defending his 2008 championship.(and at no point was Massa Champion on track or off.)
    Massa was very quick in those years I agree...

Incidentally which Silverstone Massa/Button duel are you talking about? Massa never won the British GP

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I read somewhere that Michael Schumacher earned close to $800M during his career

375+ likes this.
  13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Aww. Poor Elton lost his biggest fan (bar the ones here) when Ron moved on..... no wonder he spent 2010 crashing into everyone anywhere near him, and of course his ***** cat doll dumped his ass too...... boo hoo, mental giant Elton sidetracked by a bird, an ugly one at that.... hahahahahaha

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry mate, the fact that Mosley decided to GIVE elton a cup doesn't make him world champion, not to my eyes and many others, in a real championship, rigged races don't count!
    Who said Massa won the British Gp? I merely stated he trashed Button in that G.p while driving a much inferior car.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Haven't you understood yet that these people (sportmen, artists, etc ... don't really get paid for their talents, but for the business they drum up ?

lagunacc and ATBNM3 like this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Is that why most of the leading football clubs in the champions league are losing money and have to be funded by wealthy Russians or Arabs? Because they make so much money with the players?
    Does Mercedes GP make any profit?
    I guess not, they throw money in it for publicity so drivers get money on imaginary publicity calculations and not really because they generate money...
    But thanks for enlighten me

daytona355 likes this.
  17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So much noise about Hamilton, but no comments about raikkonen???! Seriously? He has basically robbed Ferrari of an outrageous amount of money and been a very second rate driver in the process. He should be renamed Dick Turpin.

ATBNM3 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Put that in relation to Ralf Schumacher and he is underpaid...
    He gave Ferrari a title and in his second stint he was paid to be no.2 just as Barrichello. But was did Ralf achieve?

daytona355, Mbutner and Bas like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Sorry, but I cannot see how a driver can "robb" a team.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I have never believed in any of those lists. It is really debatable to know how much a sport star earns.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    slow news day I suppose, and ultimately the numbers don't really matter to the guys with over 120m in the bank.

22. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    I find the disrespect for Hamilton on this thread quite laughable. As a rookie he was a match and in many cases beat a Double World Champion in Alonso (the guy who beat MSC into retirement remember). He has had competitive cars but shouldn't you ask yourself why he's always been in good cars? Obviously teams understand he is one of, if not the premier talent of his generation. You can call him 'Elton' all you like you cant argue with his stats, over an 11 years period thats no fluke. Even as a die hard Scuderia fan i'll admit he had no right to win the WDC in 2018, that Merc was not as quick as Sebs Ferrari but Lewis showed like all the greats he is able to outperform his equipment particularly in qualifying. (the Singapore quali lap was Schumi-esque imperious). Dislike the guy as a personality that's fine, but as a race driver he is a fearsome talent up there with the greats.

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And once again this "disrespect for his achievements"... it is ok to bash Seb, it is ok to bash Michael but as soon as it comes to Lewis it is "disrespect"....

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #24 william, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019

Not so long ago, the FIA published a list of the drivers' pay, which the team have to provide.
    I suppose the FIA has the means to verify the figures it is given, no?

For 2019, the declared payments were:
    1 Hamilton 46M €uros
    2 Vettel 35M €
    3 Ricciardo 31M €
    4 Verstappen 11.5M €
    5 Bottas 7.5M €
    6 Raikkonen 4M €
    7 Hulkenberg 4M €
    8 Sainz 3.5M €
    9 Leclerc 2.9M €
    10 Perez 2.9M €
    11 Grosjean 1.6M €
    12 Gasly 1.15M €
    13 Magnussen 1M €
    14 Stroll 1M €
    15 Kubica 0.5M €
    16 Kvyat 0.27M €
    17 Norris 0.23M €
    18 Giovinazzi 0.2M €
    19 Russell 0.16M €
    20 Albon 0.15M €

That makes some drivers very good value-for-money, and shows the enormous difference between team mates also.

Interessting to see that Renault pays Ricciardo almost 3 times more than he could have expected at Red Bull !

Remy Zero likes this.
  25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Shhhh....according to drive to survive thing, Ricci moved because he wanted to be WDC, and cannot achieve that at Red Bull :D

Mbutner likes this.