F1 gearboxes:white elephant of the future? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 gearboxes:white elephant of the future?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bullfighter, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Mmmm bacon!

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

My vote is for soylent green!

Clearly you realize pork has issues.

- you are an elitist! you exclude more than 1/4 of the earths population from ever having one.
    - second the maintenance costs of keeping pigs are just to high.
    - They are temperamental, can't be used every day.
    - they hate the rain!
    - everyone knows pig leather shrinks in the sun.
    -pigs just don't hold resale value in any other color than pink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I do find myself discriminating against those who don't drive a manual...

I'll never date another woman who can't handle a stick.

:D

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    My guess would be that in 20-30 years anyone with an interest will be able to rebuild their own F1 system using their home computer and 3d printer to replace parts and software from schematics downloaded (from FChat?) from the internet or scanned from their own vehicle.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #55 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mexico? Really?

Do we grind corn into maze in America too?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Face it. The all electric Ferrari is coming and you guys will all jump off bridge.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    No. Too many were manufactured for them to go obsolete. An aftermarket company will step in if F stops making parts for them.

I disagree F1 technology was a gimmick. I couldn't imagine NOT having an F1 car when I began shopping for my first one. Ironically I bought a 3 pedal unit instead. Go figure.

9. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014

The problem is the manual gearbox only shines in optimal driving conditions meaning empty windy roads, anything outside that and it's more of a nuisance. The move towards electronic boxes like DCT simply adds the comfort that was missing. For most people the majority of their time behind the wheel is spent on congested public roads. Road infrastructure has not kept pace with vehicle volumes.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    [​IMG]
    I'd argue people have more issues, are higher maintenance (psychologically and ecologically), and are more temperamental than our porcine friends! ;)
    T

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We don't have a bald spot to cover.

I love silly threads like these. Rob should make Ferrarimanual.com. It will have 10 members but millions of posts.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I disagree. It's crappy city driving where the F1 is easier than constantly pushing a clutch pedal. I just got rid of a manual 997 for a DCT M4. Much easier around town.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I think this is a very valid point, and same goes for Mayor's. When I bought my 991 GTS which is my daily, I could have had it with a 7 speed M/T. I opted for the PDK, and for good reason. While i like a car that can be a bit of fun when doing the daily round-about, most of the time, I want to relax, or I'm thinking about something I have to do etc. Playing Le Mans 1980's style, is not my thing on my daily commute. The PDK is fun, and it truly shines on the twisties, just in a different way than a manual would. So where am I going with this. Well after my 308, I got a manual F355. I miss my F355, but not because of a manual gearbox that was, uh, labor intensive at best, but because the car was such a balanced package. If I were to get back into an F355, I might try an F1, because the number of occasions where the fun of the manual outweighed the issues, were quite few and far between. 45 minutes of stop-start traffic in a gated 355? Oh yeah, it's engaging alright. So much so, that while still being a fit young man in the prime of his life, you make that "sound" when you sit down after arriving at your destination - wishing you'd taken the bloody Merc. Sorry to say, but I for one fail to see how the manuals are the and-all-be-all of Ferraris. I think both F1 and gated cars will be around for quite a while. They simply cater to different people.

14. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Ban him!!!

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The F1s cost a lot more to maintain. the price difference on clutches is high. Five years down the road, when that model is obsolete, people will want to ditch the F1s for the 3 pedal. It's happening now, and the demand will go up.

Art

16. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    My daily driver machines since 1985 have been manuals. In March I finally switched to auto with paddles since my daughter will soon be driving my car. I'm one of those people who just loves a manual transmission. I don't give a rats bum about fast shifting. I just want to have fun. I miss the daily stick routine. So every night I find an excuse to take out the 348 and all is right in the world. SAVE THE MANUALS.

17. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I do not think it will matter much if it is a Manual or F1. It is fully possible to rebuild a Manual into a F1 and a F1 to a Manual, is that not so?

I find that the F1 is so much different from a "classic" automatic gearbox that it does not detract much from the Manual.
    A friend has a 550 Manual, and I have a 575 F1.

Spare parts in the future? I am sure if we will not be able to buy an OEM part, somebody will re engineer it, with improvements.

I am a Manual guy, but have bought cars with an Auto if there was no option ( new MB S class, Jaguar) or the particular used car I wanted came with it ( 993 with a Tiptronic I hated and the 575 I do not mind)

18. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    F1 transmissions aren't going anywhere but up. I would like to see them replace everything including the torque converter automatic transmission. If there is ever a want or need to keep a certain type of machinery working, someone will figure out how to do it. Muskets may be easy to make and cheap to use, but I just don't see them making a comeback. Cars are getting more and more complex. But manufacturing is getting easier and easier. I see the day when someone will restore a 30 year old 458 Speciale to showroom condition, complete with 3D printed interior plastic that won't stick, just so long as old cars are still allowed on public roads that is.

19. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

ROFL!!

20. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey!

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    F1s are my favorite, cost no more to maintain, amd in the future will be less and less to maintain, just like history has shown so far. Parts get cheaper or are fixed rather than replaced cheaper. Lets face it no ferraris are cheap to maintain properly.

I hope though everyone keeps driving down the f1 prices because then i get to keep buying more.

Like all things its a personal choice.

22. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    ha ha .... yes yes, but remember that the porks come from all ....

1- with your prius you can't bring your family to the beach on the sunday only with electric drive because after 25 km the termal engine will start due to ended battery ....
    2- if all of us will go by electric, there not will electricity for charge the batteries in the night
    3- when your battery is died where do you think to put? in my green? ..

About the point 2, is easy to calculate the energy that you use during the day and in the night when you would to re charge you need to put in the battery the total amount that you used in the day, but in how many time? Is this less time for charge that need a big power for do, that power are not at disposal now ... Then the day after you will go to work by bicycle ....!!

Perhaps if we will increase the number of nuclear centrals probably the electricity will be sufficient but:
    - the big flow of electricity do an electromagnetic effect on the people, this is good for the health? ...
    - electric wires probably are not able for transport all this power
    - nuclear central are sure? yes but if one will explode all of us will go on sky ...

This is my opinion, but obviously you do as you want ......

23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will never buy and F1

24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hill Engineering is rumored to be working on a replacement for the dreaded Reverse Lever on 612 F1 models. Currently, when they break (quite often) you have to replace the whole F1 assembly - nearly $6K USD at the Ferrari dealer.

25. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Never say never. Many years ago I said I would never buy a Ferrari!