F1 overhaul thread; clutch, pump, throwout, flywheel, 360 pump etc. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F1 overhaul thread; clutch, pump, throwout, flywheel, 360 pump etc.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Subarubrat, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did you ever check the connectors behind the pass seat. The reason i ask is mine were hooked up wrong. The car still ran fine but they could not use an sd on it at the shop. They figured out this was the problem and when they swapped the plugs the sd worked fine.

2. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They had no problem using the SD on it. I verified every signal into the TCU related to entering self learn and they were fine. I am tempted to try a self learn now, in the name of science, but will probably let sleeping dogs lie and enjoy a working F1 system. There certainly seems to be a division in cars that self learn triggers in and cars that the owners just can't trigger it.

3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #78 Subarubrat, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    It worked great for a while (sat idle allot due to work) but two glitches came up but are resolved.

Problem #1 really pissed me off. I had Ferrari calibrate the F1 system after all the work detailed in this thread. It was OK for a while but what I discovered when I started having gear engagement problems was pretty sloppy. They installed a longer bolt with the bolt threads facing downward, it probably had a tiny amount of clearance but once the motor mounts settled it started hitting the cross member. I turned the bolt around and huge clearance was gained. How F'in sloppy can you get for the price they charge.

Problem #2 was developing as problem #1 was worsening just by dumb coincidence. The pulse generator was failing and failed all together which made the problem easier to zero in on. A new one was ordered from Ricambi and was installed today, When I pulled the old one a hairline crack was very visible on the face of the sensor. It doesn't show up much in a pic but it is there once you see it.
    The car behaves very well and is back in action. The more I learn about how the F1 system works on our cars the more inspired I am to move past the SD dependency.

The F1 impact from the failing/failed pulse generator is that when it fails the TCU locks you into 1st/2nd/N/R and a flashing trans light.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Which pulse generator
    The speedo sensor??

5. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, the speed sensor mounted on the driver side of the transmission.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    But atleast of you pull neutral then a gear you can access 6th

7. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Love this thread. Thank you for sharing. I have a Gated GTS and just bought an F1 GTS to go with it. Based on these threads, I have no fear with my new exotic - LoL. But what I would really love is a list of the most common spares to have on hand that I could bolt on or swap that fail. Is there such a list. I have been searching F1 stuff the last few days. Car arrives next week or weekend, never know with shippers.

I am going on the assumption that the dealer says it is perfect and no issues. I figure it will have issues sooner than later. I just want it to be what everyone says it is when dialed in. My gated car is fantastic. Just did a new clutch. I am hands on but know my limits and clutch replacement is not something I would do on my own. But sensors, self learn, external items, I am good at and thorough.

Cheers and thank you for any help! -Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    My two cents...and others may have different perspectives.

If the f1 systems acts up I would attack it this way:

Standing reset (or whatever it is called):
    If the car is rolling while you shut the engine off, the sensors go all wonky.
    with car off, Put you foot on the brake, turn the key until it powers up, but do not start it.
    Keep your foot on the brake and shut the car off.
    Keeping your foot on the brake, start the car. Sensors happy now.

Check the motor mounts. If they sag, the bolt that attaches to the transmission input shaft will hit the frame cross member and throw all kinds of crazy results and fault codes.

Count your flashes. If the car takes 7 or 8+ flashes to come up to pressure after sitting overnight, there may be a pressurization issue.
    Many here will rush to replace the pump motor or swap in a 360 pump. Not a bad option....but I would change the accumulator bulb first.
    I swapped three pump motors thinking I had it licked and it never really worked.
    I swapped the accumulator bulb and it has been spot on since.

After that, checking electrical connection for clean contacts.

Pull the FI fluid and replace with new stuff every other year.

Beyond that? SD computer time.

OK all you 355 Stooges...what did I miss?

MAD828 and carnutdallas like this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes a perfect summation for most issues. I had an issue with my F1 GTS thought it was pump motor, changed it only for it to blow again as it was constantly priming a system that was leaking pressure via a faulty accumulator bulb. Swapped that out and voila.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Good advise. I will add, no longer is the 360 pump conversion needed. There are now 3 sources for 355 pump motors, the typical component that fails, not the pump itself.

carnutdallas and WATSON like this.
  11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My listof spares
    Sdl ecu
    Brake light switch
    Extra bulb for brake light
    20 and 30 amp large fuse

No matter. What they say check the engine mounts

WATSON and Qavion like this.
  12. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I thought I would share the latest work. After about 8k on this clutch I did a few years ago (and the F1 system working very nicely other than the failed pulse generator) I started getting the worn clutch alert and noticed a few slips so I knew it was time for a new clutch, but why so soon?

****A bit of relevant background: When I had the original fault(s) that resulted in the new F1 components and new clutch one of the problems was the clutch disk being contaminated with trans fluid. It wasn't slipping or worn unevenly but it wasn't in good shape, this was the second clutch that the car had seen and was installed before I owned it. I replaced the clutch disk with a relined one and resurfaced the flywheel. The pressure plate was flat and had no odd wear patterns. I used the OEM Ferrari triple seals and O rings.

I got it up on the lift and took it apart and found that the clutch disk was worn very unevenly with the side facing the flywheel having aggressive wear and the side facing the pressure plate wearing normally, however the flywheel is fine but the pressure plate is dished. I guess the disk flexed because of that creating an opposite wear pattern. Odd, but the flywheel is fine and the pressure plate is certainly not. So the pressure plate dished since the new clutch went in, which is a known failure of these clutches. Typically the triple seals leak, the disk gets contaminated and slips, and the heating warps the plate. There was some fluid leakage and it was coming from around the triple seals which were intact and undamaged, but the disk doesn't seem to be contaminated like it was last time. This time I ordered the Viton triple seals from Superperformance instead of using the OEM ones which have leaked twice on me. I have a new clutch disk, pressure plate, and all the seals and O rings on order and will get it buttoned back up when they arrive, then go get it calibrated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WATSON likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Wow thats pretty severe

14. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The new clutch/seals going in and the end result have got to be the smoothest experience yet with the car! Everything just slid into place with no difficulty, the viton seals were a joy compared to OEM. The stock seals remind me of that ring left on a soda bottle after you take the top off, the viton ones installed with no drama and fit in their grooves much more snugly. I performed the self calibrations before taking it for a short drive to make sure it was OK to drive to the shop for a proper SD calibration. The clutch engagement and shift behavior of this car has never been this awesome in all the time I have owned it, engagement is like magic and it is so good I almost don't want to let anyone change a thing in calibration. I know I HAVE to so that the clutch wear can be reset to 100% so everything continues to play together well......

Attached Files:

phrogs and WATSON like this.
  15. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I took the car in today to Loudoun County Exotics in Sterling VA and had them do a post install and reset of the clutch wear data and everything went perfectly. The car is shifting perfectly and the data looked good. These guys are a great resource and quite reasonably priced as these things go. What really impressed me about them is that they had no problem with me watching over their shoulder and seeing how each step went. I am not interested in the couches and coffee of a waiting room, I want to see what they are doing and how. I got another good up close look at the Leonardo system and how it plays with the 355F1 and learned quite a bit.

Tarek307 likes this.