F1 Rant | FerrariChat

F1 Rant

Discussion in 'F1' started by clonmeliw, Apr 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Please forgive me but, in watching Bahrain qualifying and mindful today of Jim Clark's 50th, I just can't take what this sport has turned into anymore. Will I continue to watch it? Sure - it's the deeply imbedded habit of a lifetime - but I loathe every aspect of what it has become. Boring, featureless circuits (the "Tilkification" of F1) at venues chosen only for their commercial appeal, a complete and utter lack of the soulfulness that made it great, crass commercialization (when did it become cool for an auto manufacturer to simply buy space on the side of a car (Alfa, Infiniti, Aston, are you listening) instead of committing to development and an actual presence? A support system rivaling a space program rather than a man and a car competing against another man and a car? The complete and utter "bitchification" of the talent pool replacing sportsmen - could you imagine Clark, or Hill or Amon publicly throwing a hissy fit on a radio over some perceived wrong? And how about the ridiculous, imperious overlay of stupid rules - "Hamilton, move five spots back on the grid because you changed a transmission". IN PRACTICE???? When in the hell are you supposed to address a mechanical malfunction and why does it deserve a penalty? There - I feel better now.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I hope you do feel better because the choice is either go with the flow and evolution or not watch. So, go with the flow. It could be a Ferrari year!

Makuono likes this.
  3. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Today's F1 is a caricature of our contemporary society. Infantilization, political correctness, media promoted hypocrisy plus low or none meritocracy.

Incomparable to the context where F1 was created and became a world's sport. By 1950, the world was wakening after WWII, drivers knew they could not survive the race, there was no telemetry, public was seeing the races live - not recording on their smartphones- or not seeing at all . It was pure seat of the pants.

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    +1

5. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    We have entered an era wherein life imitates a video game. Perhaps that's a bit misleading, for too many, life imitating a video game would be an improvement to their virtual lives.

Makuono likes this.
  6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I posted something similar a while back. To me it's more a spectacle rather than a sport.

I still watch but not that intently. If I miss all or part of a race, oh well.

Makuono likes this.
  7. airtsua

airtsua Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    seattle
    Full Name:
    David Alkire
    ha! i love it. YES f1 sucks these days. Senna would have had the balls to say "enough, this isnt racing" but due to endorsement obligations and a general overstock of guys who can drive an f1 car fast, nobody has the guts to push back on these ridiculous regulations. I posted something similar on reddit and got torn to shreds. so much hate upon me. I was accused of not knowing anything about f1 because if i did, i would love it like they do. I don't know anyone who is into f1 that has liked it for more than a couple years and i don't know anyone who used to love it back in the 90's and early 2000's who still does.

I think the main problem is that F1 has gone so far off course that it's difficult to even agree on what F1 is really suposed to be anymore. Well, it's not about putting on a 'good race', and i could care less if there's a lot of (contrived) passing, or if Nico turned in one too many times. No, i think F1 is about the freedom to design and build the most innovative, elegant, fast, and visceral racing cars possible. Putting a driver who can focus on feeling the responsiveness of the machine at the edge and remain there in a sublime state that only the very best will ever know.

The cars need to be more varied and the rules should open up possibilities, not hinder performance and potential. Again and again we hear drivers talk about how bad the cars are to drive. that's not right. They are suposed to be the best cars in the world but i bet my m-coupe and 63 thunderbird do more for my soul than the droopy nose lovechild of a lawnmower and a slug, even if i dont have a halo.

jgonzalesm6, clonmeliw and daytona355 like this.
  8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What a first post! Welcome to the madhouse that is the FERRARIchat F1 section, where half the members seem to hate ferrari or their drivers and love the opposition more than their wives/girlfriends/significant others

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..and everyone get's banned form time to time!!! :)

daytona355 likes this.