F1 spending break down, check it out: | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 spending break down, check it out:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jameel, May 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Looking at the other side of the spending picture, has anyone seen any estimates on what the major sponsor contributions are? Example, what does (or did) West pay to McKaren each year? Or how much does HP pay to Williams, etc.
    Bruce

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    This thread got dragged up from the depths :)

As far as I can tell, the expenditures are spelled out very nicely above. The INCOME would be derived from

1) Sponsors paying for their logo on the car
    2) Pay drivers
    3) Merchandise/apparel etc sales
    4) Charging for promotional events (i.e. ride in the 2-seat Minardi)
    5) TV money from FOM paid to the teams

Do the teams see any other income? Anyone know the relative levels of the above line items? I thought I had heard somewhere that Marlboro was paying something like $100mm a year to be with Ferrari - could be wrong. In addition, some of the sponsors pay in full or in part with barter, i.e. HP I'm sure gives free computers to Williams and pays less in actual cash. Not all teams have pay drivers, and some teams merchandise business is worth a whole lot more (Ferrari vs. Minardi), and same for the value of promotional events.

As for the TV money, I am not sure how it works. I know that Bernie pays a percentage of TV revenues (money that TV stations have paid Bernie/FOM to cover the races), and that it varies depending on race results, points scored, etc. Anyone know details of how the money is paid out? Is it on a per-race basis? Total points at end of season? Do driver points count?

3. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Several years ago, a famous American driver sponsored by Shell for decades, but having trouble getting them to pony up again because they had decided to sponsor Ferrari, told me that it was his understanding that Shell's (initial) deal with Ferrari was that they covered Michael's salary. I can't confirm of course but that makes for an interesting story and the amount would seem about right (to an outsider like me).

4. ou_phidelt

ou_phidelt Rookie

Feb 17, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Justin Jones
    as far as nascar...
    some of the sponsors(bud home depot) spend up to 20mil a year. so through in associate sponsors, hats, and other things ang you can see this isnt a cheap proposition.

as far as them not being able to spend much because the rules are tight..
    this why they are spending so much. it cost a lot of money to go faster with the tight rules.

5. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    speedmore, that is facinating stuff, thanks for taking the time to explain some of that

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Top teams spend closer to 70 - 80M