F1 to manual | FerrariChat

F1 to manual

Discussion in '348/355' started by cavallo95, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Its been 5 long months since ive had my car , f1 pump failer , so decided to do a manual conversion , work being done by continental ferrari , after lotsa stress and part searching the job is almost complete , i will keep you posted on end result, if anyone is interested in advice, since i now know wats involved and what parts are needed ,please feel free to ask thanks.

2. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Just curious, what did it cost for the conversion

3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why did you convert it?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Let me know if you wish to sell any of the F1 parts :)

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Can't believe its taken this long to gather the parts.
    I have a few things I have collected but if I wanted everything its all on Ebay from all the normal exotic salvage yards.

Interested to see what they charged you and if they used all brand new or used parts to convert it.

also Interested in your F1 parts if you want to sell including the broken pump and the actuator.

thanks

jp

6. Raiden

Raiden Karting

Mar 13, 2015
    I'de love to hear the whole story. I'm guessing if my F1 was that bad, I would sell the whole car and be done with it, however I'm really interested in this story.

7. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    #7 cavallo95, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Selling the car was not an option, its with me till death do us apart.....lol
    It only took me a couple weeks to figure out out what i needed and gather parts .

Since im keeping the car, i decided to convert to manual to eliminate this same issue in the future,
    Plus three pedals are much more fun .☺
    Coversion did not take long only a week....indy shop had it for over 2 months doing major and clutch.
    And after that is when the issues started ....like rite after! On my drive home .after paying them of course��...car stoped shifting and stuck in neutral, so towed it back to Reina international.

After a few more weeks of investigation and no luck they decided to send car to Continental and refused to take responsibility for any of it .....coincidence ?....i dont think so.

So after investigation seemed like a pump failer...cost for a used pump and labor was to much and too risky for me witn the possibility of the same thing happening down the line.

So after discussing with Continental i suggested the conversion and they said they would do it , (first one i mite ad) so i told him id gather all the parts .

So far they have been great , just finishing touches. Cost? ....$3400 in parts , labor? Not sure yet hopefully under $5.000.00.
    I do have all the f1 parts for sale if anyone is interested, like pump (repaired) ,actuator, f1 display, ecu, paddles, reverse box/ switch ...etc ...pm me if intrested.

8. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I just posted and deleted my response on your other double posted thread :)
    Yes I would like to know and see what was involved in your conversion.
    Lots of info and pictures please:)

9. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Sorry bout double post everyone.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Seems like you are converting due to a shop that does not know what they are doing...that's a shame.

11. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Or at least taking responsibilty for their actions...
    the car has performed flawlessly for my 3 years of ownership , i take it in for service , pick it up and after 15 min of driving stops shifting?
    Very upsetting , waiting 2.5 months only to have car towed back with major issues.

they sent it to Continental for diagnosis ....now the problem is mine? wtf!
    Do i have a case? how can i prove of any of their miss doing?
    Now im stuck with a huge bill wile they got paid and washed their hands of it, its ashame.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You may have had a case until you decided to convert the car. The time to get on this was when they sent the car to another shop. Now you have made the decision to convert instead of fix. I'm not an attorney but I think this is where it will get muddy. Had you had shop 2 fix the problems, you would have had recourse to get shop 1 to pay for it.

13. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    pretty frustrating situation..

I am not familiar with F1 system maintenance costs.. since I have a manual..
    so you are saying it would cost more to repair or buy new/used f1 pump to keep the car as an F1.. versus doing a whole manual conversion.. which you are estimating with labour will be ~$8,400..?

aren't 355 F1 owners often switching to 360 f1 pumps..?

so from what I gather from this.. once the f1 pump goes.. you are looking in the vicinity that it would cost to do a major..?

14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

That was almost the exact story of my car. worked fine for 38k miles, went in for a belt service, came out and wouldnt go into gear. dealer said pump dead. Owner converted it to manual. At least there is two of us now! we should start a club haha

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The part of all of this that is troubling is the F1 system can stay untouched during a major. Yes - untouched!

Certainly F1 fluid service should / can be done but servicing the belts can be done without messing with the F1 system.

16. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Prob not as much as a major , but i had so much money in diagnosis plus new pump ..it didnt make sense to me to risk it happening again , and f1 parts are getting harder and harder to find , goin manual is a safe bet , all the issues with ecu, pump actuators etc are gone.

17. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ah but you are assuming that the folks doing the major know what they are doing. ;)

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What would be done to fail the F1 pump during a major? Incorrect bleeding?

Just saying maybe it is coincidence. Could have been on the way out and running it enough to bleed the system finished it off.

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I would say you do have a case. Does your state have an automotive bureau that mediates between shops and consumer? No lawyer is needed.

Reina International is not well adept in the 355.

20. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I'm trying to figure out how the shop caused this failure. Any ideas other than timing of failure? Like exactly what they may have done to cause it? I'd like to know so I don't make the same mistake.

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    That's what I would like to know. Sometimes things are just old and fail once disturbed, no matter who did it.

Not saying that's definitely what happened here but would like to hear how the shop would have ruined the pump.

22. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    Im assuming they could have it run dry or bleed it wrong, he also mentioned he changed the hydraulic hose to the pump.....so?

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    They really did not need to touch the F1 system so perhaps they noticed and issue or hurt something (hose) while working on the car...

24. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Correct.

Spending nearly $10k because a shop didn't know what they were doing and damaged something seems rather extreme.
    Despite being early tech and pretty crude the F1 system has proven to be pretty robust overall, according to the expert Ferrari trained mechanics I deal with.

However, if you're happier with the three pedal conversion result then that's fine.

:)

25. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Do you have a list of all the parts needed for this conversion? I think ultimately you'll be much happier with a 3 pedal...