F1 transmission light comes on periodically | FerrariChat

F1 transmission light comes on periodically

Discussion in '360/430' started by natman316, Feb 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Hello

Another issue with my car is that I occasionally get the transmission light error come up, especially when the car just started for the first time of the day and is still cold. After about 20 minutes of driving it usually never comes back.

I have had this issue since delivery of the car, and took it back to the dealer once. They said that sometimes there is air in the system so they re bled it. Issue still persists. Although I have found that on weeks that I drive the car often, I tend not to see this error.

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#2 24000rpm, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    I am not sure if this is the issue cited by rustybits " driven on marginal f1 system" , but my hunch/guess is that if you don't have any visible leak anywhere on the f1 system, the power unit is probably on its way gone. I.E. some valves leaking or starting to fail. Just a guess, based on my own car.I could be wrong, but I should be very close

My modena had the same problem, until i replace the tcu with a CS unit and the problem was gone. I was thinking it is that the CS tcu's algorithm is so good that it require less of the 'marginal f1 system's hard-working. Thus.....

Fact: my power unit's clutch solenoid valve has a 150 cc/min leak when it is not triggered ( the benchmark should be somewhere around less than 60 cc/min )

Despite this fact, my car, before the cs TCU , still drives ok, with occasssional f1 lights on, just like yours.

your 430 could be the same, go hook up with an sd3/leonardo to see the leakage value on the valves.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Natman316, what year and month production is your F430?

4. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Thank you for your input, car is at the dealer getting the door fixed right now so I will ask them to take a look at this

My car is a 2006, not sure what the production date was but I believe the in service date was in April 2006. Is there problems in certain years?

Thank you!

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Very early production 2005 F430s had smaller pumps that were undersized for the application. Ferrari increased the size during 2005.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, powering the F1 system and the E-Diff was just too much for the 360/575M pump in early F430s. Especially since few bothered to change fluid and bleed.

7. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Hopefully I am good then, my car is a 2006.

My dealer had done a fluid change and bleed right before delivery and the car was serviced regularly throughout its life.

8. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Hello guys,

Just got a call from the dealer today about the transmission. They said its the gearbox position sensor which needed to be replaced...to the tune of $1600 :O

I'm quite new to the ferrari world but doesnt that sound steep just for a sensor? sucks because I've only had the car 2 months and I bought the car from them :/

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I am no expert but I don't buy it.
    summoning experts here. i am still 99% sure its a pressure issue.

10. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    So what should I tell the dealer? Check the pressure on the SD3?

A pressure issue means its something with the actuator?

11. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Your E diff solenoid might be starting to go. Also could be the connection to your rear hood not securing all the way?

Those are two possible scenarios

12. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Didnt have an issue with the rear hood, but had an issue with the passenger door not closing which apparently they said was a result of the battery being dead (not sure I buy this, but they said the door closes properly now....)

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

again, i am no expert, just my personal informed guesses:

From my 3 years peresonal dealing with my 2+ modena , CS , basically the clutch actuation and gear selection actuation are actuated by a close hydraulic cuicuit. For your f430, which im not familiar with, the e-diff was added, which forms, I guess, a complete hydraulic circiut together with the aforementioned hydaulic circuit. Any leaking point(including the actuator) or any malfunctioning valves in that circuit could cause a low pressure in the system, ergo the f1 light.

From my understanding of my 360/cs, the clutch position sensor ( you named it gearbox position sensor??) is a black and white thing. I.E. if it works, it works perfectly, it dosn't work, car won't start! If it was my car i would guess the dealer was with the "throwing parts until fix" approach. Again , its a guess, they might be all correct and I be uber wrong.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

did you get a reading about the clutch valves and stuff from SD3 or SDx?
    I'd like to see it (shoot, i sound like an expert)

15. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    nope, not yet. Should i ask the dealer for that?

Yeah, I'm getting skeptical about their "fixes" also because last time they said it was air in the system and they rebled it and the issue still happens. However, maybe its just because they said the first time they would cover the repairs and just chose the more cost efficient way of dealing with the issue lol.

If it makes a difference, the CEL also came on once last time (havent got a chance to drive the car much after it came back from the dealer the first time, only about 50 miles or so). The dealer said the CEL was also regarding the transmission issue. Although I have not seen the CEL since in my 50 miles of driving after getting it back.

16. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Is the only sensor on the F1 transmission the clutch position sensor?

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

should you ask for the dealer for the SD info? um..... depends on the situation i think?
    you don't want to rub them the wrong way? you are on your own for that

is the clutch positoin sensor the only sensor in the f1 system? No. there's pressure sensor, there's another 2 sensors on the actuator, iirc.

18. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah I mean it would be nice if they covered it but I understand the car was bought as is.

But I also want it to be fixed properly without throwing random parts at it hoping it works.

All the service advisor told me was that I need to change the "gearbox position sensor". Not sure what they mean...I do feel like it may be a sensor issue though since it is very random when the light comes on. I never see the light if the car has been driven a lot that day.

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i am pretty sure the "gearbox position sensor" is the "clutch position sensor"
    i am not quite sure if this sensor works like perfect or complete failing as I just said. This working or non-working is based on just 1 experience I had. so experts please chime in.

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

call ricambi for this part:
    Search results for: '243784' - Ricambi America, Inc.

I know my buddy has a new spare in hong kong as well if you need it fast.

I did this on my 360 without transmission off, but for a 430 I don't know.
    since the gearbox are almost identical, i guess it is a pretty simple job for an indie.
    takes about 1 hour maybe? I did it within 1 hour but I am very familar with the 360 so everything was pretty fast.

21. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I just asked for clarification from the dealer as to which sensor they are talking about. Will also give them a call, thank you!

22. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    just have heard back from the dealer, they said it is the potentiometer sensor?

also they offer a 20% discount to 1280.

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

there should be 2 of them, which one? or both?
    for that price it should be just 1

24. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015