F1 vs 6spd | FerrariChat

F1 vs 6spd

Discussion in '360/430' started by sfa1509, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    I am very close to buying a 355 GTB F1 (see related thread posted today).

From those of you with the F1 trannies, how easy/hard/impossible do you find it to drive around town? How about in the occasional traffic jam on the freeway? Does using the auto mode smooth it out at all?

I have only driven one which had very worn motor mounts (I think) and caused the sales guy driving with me to need a neck brace (could have been his crappy advice on how to shift it).

Has anyone done a good comparison of launch capability of an F1 versus a 6spd?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it going to be a daily driver?

3. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    If it is a daily driver (or street use only for that matter) I would opt for the manual. From what I've heard, and read, the F1 system on the 355 series is nowhere as smooth as it is on the later 360s.
    Keep us in touch with your purchase!

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
  5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    there are several factors involved with the decision....1) the 6 speed on a 355 is ot as smooth or direct action as on a 360 but is still fun to shift once you get the hang of it....2) f1 on 355s tend not to be smooth and f1 s tend to have more maintaince issues that can be very costly....i have a goo d friend who is ferrari mechanic and he varifies this 3)you cant beat an f1 for going fast,esp. on the tract orfasst street driving 4)the bootom line is personal preferance....the 6speed is more engaging to me and has more driver involvment...i tended to get bored when i drove the f1 for mor than 10 minutes.....

6. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    It will be a frequently driven (no garage princess) car, cycling between the 993 and E55.

69??? What does that mean? (don't give the obvious please)

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Sorry, didn't mean to make you the butt of this inside joke, but its a perennial issue. See http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10570

BTW, i had a 355 with F1 and found it uninvolving for the street. But, i have an SMG2 in a new M3 that i absolutely love. Dunno whether its the transmission or me. Go figure.

8. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well firstly the 355F1 is not as advanced as the early 360s as it does not have fly by wire throttle. Actually I wold suggest that a late 355 F1 is better than an early 360 in terms of smoothness.

The F1 system takes a lot longer than a short test drive to get the best of it.

When on an open road its very impressive but what all this systems do not give is consistency in traffic. One minute its an utra smooth take off but as the flywheel heats up its gets a bit jerky- they all do this!!

If you intend to use your car more in traffic than the open road, then chosse a manual car. the auto mode is a mess whatever you get!.

One factor as has been mentioned before is cost. Generally, apart from early 360s they are reliable BUT if the actuator goes that $3000 and if the pump goes its $10,000 in addition to any gearbox repairs.

Ive had both and each has its merits. Some say it dissolves the driving experience, others that its much more fun and a very quick change!