F12: Future Collectible? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12: Future Collectible?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Last year I tried to guess how many F12b's have been sold worldwide. That's not an easy task because the only source of information available is the reported sales in all Europe until the end of 2017 according with the table below. A total of 2068 F12's have been sold in Europe and according with another source the old continent represented between 35 - 40% of Ferrari total sales. According with this source the USA represented 30-35% , China 15-20% and the rest of the world 10-15 %. After some simple calculations my guess for the total number of F12's sold worldwide until the end of 2017 is a number around 5200.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's F12b? Was there a F12a?

Nevermind...I have just realized it stands for berlinetta.

dustman and MDEL like this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Not bad 5200 but still more than 3000 550s and 2000 575s, still rarer than many cars we deem classic like a jaguar e type or 190sl

MDEL likes this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't know. My F12 is 1 of 1. Its the only F12 owned by me so I got that going for me - which is nice.

ait_z28, Avia11, iloveferrari and 4 others like this.
  5. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Now the next question to this: "How many are still 'alive' (meaning have not been 'demolished' - unintended obviously)?"

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    William in the web there is one of these tetric web sites which I personally don't fancy at all, www.wreckedexotics.com/all-categories, which shows pictures of exotic cars that have been involved in accidents. On their register there are 53 Ferraris F12 Berlinetta crashed in different parts of the world.

7. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks Mario! Like me, not a fan of crashes as it makes me cringe! But in this case, we know that sum becomes 5'200 - 53 -.. (a few which have not been recorded) = still plenty around to enjoy :)

MDEL likes this.
  8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    In my opinion the F12 will not be a collectable. It lacks the gravitas. Yes I own one. Just will not rise to that level, IMO.

9. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Per prior history, and as it has been for every class of collectibles, I expect that "collectibility" will for the most part be driven by unknown future market participants, not by people who own them today. Current owners and Ferraristi are quite likely to underestimate their collectibility.

10. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    IMHO. The new portofino is a verry good looking Ferrari GT car. I'm a GT car guy. 575M. IMHO the last v12 good looking classic is the maranello. The last good looking v12 is the 599. I think the problem is in Ferrari trying to tame the aero on the new cars without using a splitter or wing. Rather than all the ducts and openings/bulges that detract from the rear fenders etc why not a pop up rear wing etc for when speed dictates. Then you have a good looking smooth design and pop up aero when you need it and the wing not needed on a street car at any normal speed is still in tact. GTS Bruce

Philipnz and Texas Forever like this.
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In the pictures below we can see some GT Ferraris from different eras in different angles making it easier to compare design differences.

If we look at the rears we notice that the 550 /575 Maranello seem to have a more pronounced wing than the successor 599 GTB Fiorano and the four rear lights of the former models were abandoned in favour of only two on the latter. The F12 Berlinetta also has a wing but this time covering a wider width and completely integrated on the perimeter of the so called “vagina” . The F12 TDF seen from the rear shows it's more pronounced wing than the one of the F12 Berlinetta but also extending through the width of the car. The 812 Superfast returned to the four rear lights design like the 550/575 Maranello but this with a even more pronounced wing than the previous models.

The 550/575 Maranello front wheels seem to be further away from the front- end of the bonnet than in any of the latter Ferrari GT models and this elongated visual effect gives a special elegance and personality to these models when seen from the side. To my taste the rears of the 550/575 M when seen sideways look prettier than the one of the 599 GTB and is also notorious the improvement made from the 599 GTB to the F12 Berlinetta rear wise when viewed from the side. It looks more harmonious like the ones of the Maranellos.
    From the 550/575 M to the 599 GTB the bonnet, head lights and the grill had a drastically design change and in all the latter GT Ferraris these particular areas are evolutions of the 599 design . The aerobridges incorporation on the F12 Berlinetta was a revolutionary step in terms of aerodynamics as well as design and when we look at the 550/575 M and the 599 GTB side views and compare them with the F12B, F12TDF and the 812, it becomes clear that aerodynamics and design have worked side by side .

Each of these models marks a different period and purpose but it can’t be denied that in terms of beauty and elegance some of them are better achieved than others.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Prancing12, Oz-ATL, WilliamB and 3 others like this.
  12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Great explanation. I guess what I don't care for is the pronounced rear wheel arch or hump on the f13,812 as seen from the side.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All Ferraris are potential collectibles, but only after maybe 40 years. In the meantime, remember you can’t take it with you, so you might as well enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

deltona, energy88 and WilliamB like this.
  14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And it is also a generational thing. For example, 308/328's, despite large production numbers, have just recently been recognized as being "collectible," despite sluggish performance relative to their more modern-day depreciated counterparts, such as the 360. Further, there are so many other additional series of Ferraris waiting in line to also become regarded as collectible. The downside is that today's younger generation, who will represent future buyers in the 2050's, don't seem to be as interested in cars today. The upside for the F12 generation is the V-12 power plant, which will represent quite a contrast to the hybrids and electrics that will likely be the norm by the middle of this century.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    TDF will definitely become a collectible. If I remember correctly, some of the more recent ones for sale at auction were going for $800k - $1M+.

Also, any of the F12 dressed in the 70th anniversary liveries will become highly collectible, especially since there's only 5 of them - each one is essentially a 1 of 1 of 5 if that makes any sense.

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The possible downside is whether the politicians let you drive it. Over here tightening regulation is already forcing "modern classics" of the streets of London. The over 40 year old "vintage classics" get a lot of exemptions. Something like a 550 or air cooled 911 does not.

Sorry , maybe off topic, but damn, I hate our government !

energy88 likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Then take it back....

Cc1911 likes this.