F12 Paint Bubbling Poll | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling Poll

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by rockitman, Jul 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Has your F12 Paint Bubbled (corroded) around vents, doors or rear of car ?

1. yes, I have or have had bubbling

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. no, I have not noticed any paint bubbling

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I was going to buy an F12 until I learned of this issue. Now I've decided to steer clear.

IPO1 likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That's a little nuts. Great car u can still enjoy. If u keep it 5 yrs it's inconsequential. If you keep it 50 yrs just fix it. Not like an essential organ failing.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

BRADAN, Adamas, JAM1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Well, I don’t think it’s a little nuts. It’s a pricey car. If this keeps happening outside warranty and you need 5k to repaint/sort the problem from time to time, then clearly becomes a significant problem very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It's a 400k car. 5 to10k issues/events will be par for the course.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

ScottS and Adamas like this.
  5. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Well, I guess 2 points as many have said - first, indeed in a 400k car these are issues one shouldn’t even see
    And second - It used to be... not anymore. There are plenty now in the 190ks / low 200s and as usual, prices will keep trending lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    I have had my 2017 F12 for 8 weeks now and use it as a daily driver. No issues as yet, and my previous car AMG GTS was brilliant and did the Top Gear track in 1min 17.4 and the F12 1.17.3 so not much in it. I prefer my F12 for its styling, power and driveability.

I knew about the paint issues and still bought it - no regrets.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #57 SAFE4NOW, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    8. 98547
    9. 00804
    10. 21215
    11. 21193

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW today's spot check of F12's in the shop , none of them have any signs of corrosion:

S

Makuono likes this.
  9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    IPO1 likes this.
  10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Is that a triple layer paint? Does the car get driven in the rain?

11. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    my last F12 had a 1.5 inch crack on the paint next to the rear intake on the quarter panel...

12. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    As they say, the car depreciates but the parts do not. This is (in part) what causes that steep depreciation - knowing the likelihood of $10-20K repairs and the possibility of a $50K repair.

13. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    You can take 19427 off the list, it has started bubbling

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Paint is Grigio Silverstone Fer - PPG - 740

Has it been in the rain, yes.
    Is it driven in the rain regularly, no
    Did it have full body clear shield , yes

S

15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Not sure of the context of your estimated repairs ( maybe mechanical ) but paint repairs for the rear 1/4 vents that I have seen range from as low as $2500 to as high as $ 7500

S

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Ugh, well there you go then!

Let us know when you would like to get it handled. Warranty expires 8/2019 so we have some time to make it happen!

S

17. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Curious, has anyone asked the dealer to discuss issue with FNA or Ferrari Italy and see if this is abnormal and that Ferrari should stand behind it to repair? Mine is in storage and when I get to the storage facility I will have to look if I have this issue. Thanks.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Will do. It has always been very easy to deal with Ferrari warranty, seems to be "no questions asked".

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    It absolutely has been " discussed " w. FNA / SpA and while there are some here that say that a majority of the F12's they see have it, as a whole it is not a common occurrence. Now, I have offered a sampling of chassis numbers for reference. I certainly have not included all chassis that I have seen , but it for perspective, and for tracking purposes in the thread. Alexfor8 as an example, the last time I saw his car in person, it was not showing any signs of imperfections, but now it is.

Ferrari stands behind their product , they offer a 3 year warranty, another 2 years of warranty extension, and up to 15 years of warranty options year to year.
    Owners have some buy in and I can speak from personal experience, that Ferrari takes care of their clients who take care of their Ferrari's, have an established relationship, and continue to be brand advocates.

2nd or 3rd owner , never been serviced by a dealership , has no established relationship w. a dealership, never purchased a warranty ( listed above ) and takes digs on Ferrari whenever given the chance, yeah... not so much.

My personal opinion and personal experience , FWIW

S

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I had discovered a few small bubbles at one of the rear windows (bottom) and reported that. Agreed was to redo that part of the chassis during the 'winter break', so it was done! All under guarantee, even when I am a second owner. I have a second car from the same dealer, but do not know who in the end paid for it.
    So nothing but happy!

21. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My f12 in Grigio Silverstone bubbled on the front of the bonnet. Very annoying and disappointing imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. LagunaSecaDoc

LagunaSecaDoc Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Has this issue happened on F12s from 2013 and 2014?

eskanday likes this.
  23. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    The problem of paint bubbling is likely to affect all F12s because it seems clear to me that the likely cause of the issue is the bi-metallic reaction between dissimilar metals. In this case between the aluminium body and the steel mesh. Aluminium is particularly prone to the corrosion that results - it becomes visible when the paint bubbles. The only solution is to physically separate the two metals with a 'barrier'. Simply removing the corrosion and repainting will not solve it - the problem will return sooner or later. Rain water or any other moisture is not the cause.

My experience, although not with a Ferrari, leads me to believe that this is what is happening. in 2015, I bought a 4 year old Jaguar XKR (which has an all aluminium body) from a factory Main Dealer here in UK, and after a couple of weeks noticed paint bubbling on the lid of the trunk where the aluminium lid was in contact with a full body width trim panel that was chrome plated steel. I checked two or three Jaguar forums and found it was a common issue. This was essential information to have as, of course, when I reported it to the Dealer, I was told this had 'not been heard of before'. I said that was clearly not the case and insisted that they took it up with the factory. The result was that six weeks later my trunk lid was repaired and resprayed by a factory approved body-shop at Jaguar's cost - they admitted it was a 'known issue'. The authorised factory repair included putting a plastic membrane between the lid and the trim to separate the two metals. Four years on, there has been no further corrosion and the paintwork is perfect. Elsewhere on the car, which has now done 70,000 miles as a daily driver, the paintwork is unmarked with no sign of corrosion anywhere.

Have you seen the other thread referred to elsewhere in this thread? https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f12-paint-bubbling.547557/

Marco

LagunaSecaDoc likes this.
  24. LagunaSecaDoc

LagunaSecaDoc Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks Marco!

I read all the threads on this subject and understand the issue to be as you've kindly described it. In my reading I also found out that a conductive medium like water helps accelerate the metallic reaction between the steel mesh and aluminum body. I live in Vegas where there's no humidity and no rain -- my detailer uses deionized water which carries little charge. I don't have any bubbling right now, but I'll try my best to keep that area dry. From the poll (I know it's a VERY small sample size) it appears roughly half of F12 owners have the issue, so I wonder why everyone doesn't have it. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so I suppose it won't bother me too much if it has to be corrected one day.

I just joined this forum and already like the camaraderie!

Ciao,
    Sam

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Exactly correct. An electrolyte solution significantly accelerates the electrolytic process of galvanic action, which results from metals having differing electronegativities. Absent electrolyte, it will take much longer and possibly not occur at all. Also correct that deionized water will NOT conduct current.

I suspect the cars not having this issue have not been driven in the rain.

LagunaSecaDoc likes this.