F12 tdf or 365 gtb/4 and 330gtc | FerrariChat

F12 tdf or 365 gtb/4 and 330gtc

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by irvinest, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Would love some opinions on this.
    First let me set the stage- I am lucky enough to currently own 6 Ferraris 550, 599, f12, 430 scud, 458 spec, 488 spider. I have 812 in q3 (assuming no production delays) and pista coming as well.
    I have been offered an f12 tdf, but for the money circa £900k, I could get a decent 365 gtb/4 AND a 330gtc.
    It kind of blows that is was never offered a tdf at list by Ferrari but such is life.
    Question is what would you do? Tdf or the classics?
    Is the tdf different enough from the f12 and 812 or given the prices of the classics have been falling is it time to scratch that itch?

Would love to hear some answers to a first world problem. Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do you love driving the 550 ? If you want to turn back the clock to its predecessors then buy a Daytona

If you want yet another modern car that is too big and too fast for UK roads buy the TDF

If you can afford a million for another car then you could stretch a little for an Enzo or even consider an F40 both of which must have less potential downside than the over-inflated TDF

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agree with @greyboxer. You incoming 812 is going to give you much of the tdf type experience on the road anyway, and on track a Pista is going to offer more nimbleness. The bucking bronco fun of the tdf has its fan club but I think that the novelty wears off. In many ways, the 812 is a more road useable tdf. And at £900k, you are paying top premium for the "modern" limited edition Ferraris as well as a RHD premium. On the continent, asking LHD prices have fallen to €800k vs over a €1million a year ago. Finally, if you put miles on a £900k tdf, the resale hit is going to be significant as there many tdfs competing as garage queen investments. With the older cars mileage less material beyond the delivery miles "time warp" cars.

The F40, Daytona, Lusso all compelling alternatives with an established reputation.

Roland1688, LVP488 and of2worlds like this.
  4. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    I think if I had 900k for a Ferrari, I’d have a tough time walking past an F40 (I’d walk straight to a Porsche dealer and buy a CGT but that was not the question :) )

5. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Go classic and pester dealer for 812 VS.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would stick with something modern as it represents a known quantity.
    There are too many challenges to running an old car now. From different fuel requirements to finding knowledgeable people to work on them. Not to mention no power steering and brakes the size of milk bottle caps. Also parts shortages and the old technology that they represent. The old cars may look wonderful parked on a manicured green lawn but out in the real world they now have some serious challenges. As the saying goes 'rust never sleeps'...

7. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    You have enough modern Ferraris.
    Go vintage!
    It’s a totally different driving experience. The new cars are so good and so fast that you really have a hard time appreciating them. You can be driving 120mph and it seems like you’re going 40. In the older cars you feel every mechanical piece of the car working, you smell every fluid, and 80 mph in a vintage Ferrari on small tight roads feels like you’re going 150! It’s a much more engaging drive.
    Maintenance can be an issue, so make sure you have a competent mechanic. Repairs and new motors/transmissions can be absurdly expensive as well.

I’m partial to the older cars but I do enjoy the limited edition newer cars.

That’s a tough problem to have my friend! I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever you decide.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    First of all: congratulations on a really nice collection!

Secondly: There is nothing like driving one of the 50s/60s cars. If you like the "mechanical" feeling, the interaction, you will love it. It won't be as easy to just jump in and go as the modern cars, and they lack all the modern safety things, but, the times you drive your vintage Ferrari, if such things matter to you, you will feel your sprit lifted. You might even cry a little, so much is the delight. The vintage cars are also far simpler to maintain, but as they are much older, yes, they can sometimes rack up larger expenditures for engine rebuilds if needed. And no one has x-ray vision so you have to go into ownership of a vintage car with eyes wide open. However, if you love to drive, if you love the simple mechanical interaction, and you love Ferrari, the experience of driving an historic V12 Ferrari is a singular and sublime automotive experience. These cars transcend being cars and are now truly art. I highly recommend it.

And then we have the TDF. Anyone I know who has one says it is just a huge step above the F12. I suppose if you enjoy driving the F12 in an everyday role, then the TDF isn't as good a car, but otherwise, they all say just how amazing (and pardon the overused word) and how "epic" the TDF is. It's hard to predict where values will go. Probably not going up any time soon, and likely a little bit of a slide down, but I doubt they will move too much.

So with the above said, and understanding it sure is fun to give advice when I'm not writing the cheque - :) so here is my advice: Get the F12tdf and a vintage car. I don't think you need to go with 2 vintage cars at once. I think the 330 GTC is a better choice to start with. It's just less money going in, and if you want something more you can always add or trade for the Daytona. To achieve these ends, I would sell some or all of your modern V12s. In your shoes, I think I would definitely sell the 599 and then its a question of can you keep the 550 and/or F12. I think the vintage car would occupy the spot the 550 does: stick shift V12. The 550 is a modern classic. But the 330 is a classic classic. And the F12 is a great modern GT, and it does that better than the TDF, which I think would be more of an event to drive.

MDEL and Edc2104 like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As you ask what I would do, it would be to get an Enzo Ferrari. A nice one. Quality over quantity but still keep the F12 and 458 Speciale for variety.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Here a quick test I did between my Daytona and F12 it was done just to test my camera's sound quality but is a bit of fun. By the way I did not roll the F12!

of2worlds, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you Grant I really enjoyed the video . Your Daytona 365 GTS4 is wonderful, I love the blue color and the stream lines and can't think of any modern convertible that combines so much beauty and personality. To have two Pininfarinas, a classic convertible like the Daytona as well as the F12 which was the last creation, I would say that apart from being a great privilege is also the best of both worlds. I thought I was a rare specie because I like Ferraris as well as Volvos but when I watched your video I discovered that I'm not alone.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    If you weren't offered a F12tdf, it was not meant to be. However, you couldn't possibly have purchased the classics new so this is your chance.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Mario.
    Its my wife's car, she needed something big [ for the shopping] and strong [ for the little mishaps]!

re the question about a TDF.
    If you were really desperate for a track focused car and you were going to use it for that purpose then a TDF would be great, if it was just to look at a TDF would be great, long journeys take the standard car, as an investment I would wait for more to come on the market which won't be long.

As for the older cars, I was amazed how much attention it gets, also, you often get the prime spots for parking at shows which is nice, and it is very likely that you will will have the only car in the car park of that type, but the most important thing is that there are very few people in the world that will experience the sound and smells of an old Ferrari V12 engine and a car that brings all your senses alive when you drive it.
    The best thing would be for you to try one and see what you think.

of2worlds, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.