F12 Tire Question...(Michelin Cup 2R) | FerrariChat

F12 Tire Question...(Michelin Cup 2R)

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bobby_P, Aug 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    I know most here suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire. However, I am thinking about potentially going the Cup 2R route.

One issue, though...Michelin offers the front 255/35 in the 2R, but for the rear I would have to go 315/30...is that either an aesthetic or performance issue?

Thanks.

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The sidewall will be a little shorter, so you will see that aesthetically. I’m not sure about the Ferrari ECU to know the total impact on functionality, for sure your speedometer will be off a small percentage.

One note on Cups, excellent traction in dry weather only. Additionally, they can become hard after a certain number of heat cycles depending on your use. This was my experience with a gen iv viper ACR.

Bobby_P likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The diameter difference on the rear is significant, so it will present several challenges and issues. The SF90 set which is what you are looking at will create a challenge for the ESC system. So you will potentially have some issues with ABS. On top of that you will change the balance of the car significantly as you lower the rear about 15 mm.

But the biggest challenge will be the grip. The F12 suspension is much, much softer than what an SF90 or Pista has, and the grip will easilly overpower the suspension. Also, unless you change the alignment,the camber is not aggressive enough for that tyre. In short, it is not a good match.

There's a few guys in my neck of the woods who track F12's and they all run the TDF set. Yes it's a 275 front, but those fit the stock F12 front wheels. They also have a slightly narrow tread for a 275, so it's not like it will overpower the rears.

If you go the TDF tyre route, get your car realigned. It does not need a lot, but a 12-15mm drop squared and a bit of added camber goes a long way.

If you really want to push forward with Cup 2R's or Trofeo R's. You should get a set of 20/21" wheel combo. This will allow you to run the GT2RS tyre set which is 265/35R20 and 325/30R21.

Hope this helps a bit, but the SF90 set is a no-go unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11, Alexcle, PJxxx and 3 others like this.
  4. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Thank you! That is exactly what I was trying to understand. Unfortunately, try as I might, I continue to get tripped up on the geometry & physics of altering sizing.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also think these cup tires are not a good fit for most street cars- unless you drive fairly aggressively and live in a very warm climate- or will be doing most of your driving on track. I found I could never get the Cup2 tires into their operating window very often on the street and actually went to 4S on my Pista and much happier. There is more feel through the steering and the seat because the tires are much easier to get into their operating range. Surely, they will not be nearly as good for track days, but those are few and far in between for me. On the F12 I’d stick with the MPS4S or other street biased high performance tire.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bobby_P likes this.