f18 vs UFO | FerrariChat

f18 vs UFO

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Dec 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    What is it?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bug on the front of the camera??

SV

Anyone know what an “SA” they refer to is??

4. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Would have to be a big bug as a ship was also tracking it

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The trailer to Independence Day 3? :)

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I read the story in nyt today. I personally believe theres other life forms in universe but not this. There is lots of slush money for corupt politicians, cotractors to 'investigate' these ufo sightings. Dont think aliens are doing donuts in sky to impress fighter pilots. Follow the money....

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Looks like some artifact in the camera and not real based on how it's moving relative to the jet.

LouB747 likes this.
  9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    The objext was being tracked by the USS Princeton, so I doubt it was any artifact in the camera.

10. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    It is odd how the object stays perfectly centered in the camera view.

LouB747 likes this.
  11. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I think that's the f18s targeting system keeping it centered

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Having worked programs over the years, there is always "the need to know" first and foremost...including plausible deniability....

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Eh...a system like tracking can't always tell if something is really there or not. Artifact can fake out even people looking at images.

Btw this is off topic but I'm at Tucson intl airport right now and F16s are taking off one after another with burners on. It's awesome.

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Just gonna say? At some point, travel won't be influenced by "wind" or "gravity" or other external forces. "Time" might still be an issue, but that gets a bit complicated. Being one place, then just being elsewhere? That might happen first. ;)

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Agree. The Pentagon lead on the project subsequently went to work for the contractor who made most of the dough. I know there are some things that remain unexplained that deserve more scrutiny, but I think your assessment is spot on in this case.

I think the Princeton was involved in a different incident off San Diego. The location of this vid remains undisclosed, if I remember correctly.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Here's a longer video:

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Another account of this incident was posted on another forum a few years ago: https://fightersweep.com/1460/x-files-edition/#prettyPhoto

Also, this was reportedly the actual event summary ???

CVW-11 EVENT SUMMARY
    14 NOVEMBER 04
    EVENT SUMMARY110/100, 303/305, 401

FAST EAGLES 110/100 UPON TAKE OFF WERE VECTORED BY PRINCETON AND BANGER (1410L) TO INTERCEPT UNID CONTACT AT 160@40NM (N3050.8 W11746.9) (NIMITZ N3129.3 W11752.8). PRINCETON INFORMED FAST EAGLES THAT THE CONTACT WAS MOVING AT 100 KTS @ 25KFT ASL.FAST EAGLES (110/100) COULD NOT FIND UNID AIRBORNE CONTACT AT LOCATION GIVEN BY PRINCETON. WHILE SEARCHING FOR UNID AIR CONTACT, FAST EAGLES SPOTTED LARGE UNID OBJECT IN WATER AT 1430L. PILOTS SAW STEAM/ SMOKE/CHURNING AROUND OBJECT. PILOT DESCRIBES OBJECT INITIALLY AS RESEMBLING A DOWNED AIRLINER, ALSO STATED THAT IT WAS MUCH LARGER THAN A SUBMARINE.

WHILE DESCENDING FROM 24K FT TO GAIN A BETTER VIEW OF THE UNID CONTACT IN THE WATER, FAST EAGLE 110 SIGHTED AN AIRBORNE CONTACT WHICH APPEARED TO BE CAPSULE SHAPED (WINGLESS, MOBILE, WHITE, OBLONG PILL SHAPED, 25-30 FEET IN LENGTH, NO VISIBLE MARKINGS AND NO GLASS) 5NM WEST FROM POSITION OF UNID OBJECT IN WATER.CAPSULE (ALT 4K FT AT COURSE 300) PASSED UNDER FAST EAGLE 110 (ALT 16KFT). FAST EAGLE 110 BEGAN TURN TO ACQUIRE CAPSULE. WHILE 110 WAS DESCENDING AND TURNING, CAPSULE BEGAN CLIMBING AND TURNED INSIDE OF FAST EAGLE’S TURN RADIUS. PILOT ESTIMATED THAT CAPSULE ACHIEVED 600-700 KTS. FAST EAGLE 110 COULD NOT KEEP UP WITH THE RATE OF TURN AND THE GAIN OF ALTITUDE BY THE CAPSULE. 110 LOST VISUAL ID OF CAPSULE IN HAZE. LAST VISUAL CONTACT HAD CAPSULE AT 14KFT HEADING DUE EAST.NEITHER FAST EAGLES 110 OR 100 COULD ACHIEVE RADAR LOCK OR ANY OTHER MEANS OF POSITIVE ID. FAST EAGLE 100 WAS FLYING HIGH COVER AND SAW THE ENGAGEMENT BY FAST EAGLE 110. FAST EAGLE 100 CONFIRMS 110 VISUAL ID; 100 LOST CONTACT IN HAZE AS WELL.CPA OF ACFT 110 FROM CONTACT 4000-5000 FT.

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    If you say so,

19. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    There was a similar event in the late 80's in Brazil, many ufos where spotted all over the country, F-5s and Mirages tracked the objects, with visual by the pilots, air force ground radars and important people like former Embraer CEO at the time.

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    The thing that gets me is this - if these things are ours, what is the benefit of the projects remaining secret for sooooo long (and remaining absent from any modern conflicts - maybe not strategically crucial enough to expose the tech? Or maybe the tech is so greatly advanced that it hasn't been superseded and must remain secret)? More importantly, how on earth is that secrecy maintained?

I suppose these things could be hyper-secret drones that are either still in development, using the "UFO" story to the benefit of the project (that has happened before), or just haven't seen their day yet. What better way to test your new toys than to actually send them out against your own military whose capabilities you are intimately familiar with...?

I don't know, some of the military folks here maybe able to answer these questions. I'm a firm believer that the overwhelming majority of weird things can be explained rationally. "We don't know who they belong to, but we can't defend against them" seems to have a number of strategic benefits, but I ended up choosing drums instead of a fighter jet so I may have an entirely incorrect point of view :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If the UFO craft were US drones, then likely this incident would have been kept secret. Secrets can be kept. Also, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend millions of dollars to research something that you already knew about. And wouldn't some of this new tech have made it's way into military aircraft by now after 13 years ?

wjw300tt likes this.
  22. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Yes and No.

Take the SR-71 Blackbird for example. Designed, built in the early 60's with slide rules. The engines were modified with bypass tubes to solve an air pressure buildup problem in the section after the intake and before the compressor. The result was a new technology that did not exist. The jet engine was now a 2-in-1 propulsion system. Half jet engine and have ramjet, allowing the SR-71 to speed beyond the Mach 4 region**
    (** M 3.9 was stated in the Blackbird book, no reason to doubt it would reach 4.0 if this information ever becomes declassifed)

Since the Blackbird, no other jet engine has been duplicated or reproduced in smaller scale and put on active duty. Fighter pilots say speed is life, yet this tech has never been adapted in any form on fighter jets, despite the current tech that solves problems, which was not available in the 60's.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The way the jet was tracking it and keeping it in the center of its FOV while the background was clearly dramatically changing makes it look like artifact.

Is the concern this UFO is from another country like Russia and we want to know what their intent is? If it's a concern people have that it's extra-terrestrial then I think it's not worth further pursuing. Statistically given the size of the universe, there is other life form out there. I personally don't care to ever figure out what that is as I have more problems to deal with on a daily basis. Even if it was intelligent enough to come this far away, it's not like we could do much about it in advance and would have to improvise anyway. At least that's how I look at it.

Boomhauer and Chupacabra like this.
  24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hard to say with black programs. The GE YF120 was dual cycle capable and had a lot of inherent growth potential. Wouldn't surprise me if the YF-120 development continued and is in use on other experimental aircraft.

25. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra

Well...I think it could make sense if the overall goal is to provide disinformation and mask the actual scope, depth, or existence of a project. Really, in the grand scheme of things, $22mm is not much for the federal government to spend, IMO. If they're taking a sneaky tack to guard what as perceived as beyond next gen tech by presenting it as unexplainable, thus preserving an element of surprise, it could be worth it to them.

I was pretty surprised by the dollar amount - I know of various (obviously unrelated and comparatively banal) studies done on the local level that equal a tenth of that amount. Seems if they were really serious about accomplishing something, a lot more would have flown out the window.

This of course begs the question, "Why undertake the study at all and risk exposing the tech if it has successfully remained secret?" I don't know, but I guess there could be a reason.

As for the implementation of new tech...well, that's still part of the problem for me :) I suppose it's possible that these things are to remain absolute secret until a worst case scenario?

Bottom line...I don't know, but I'm reluctant to jump to ET. Its weird :)