F355 major service | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 major service

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mitch Alsup, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Mitch,
    My TR was just finishing up this same service as your 355 was coming in to the shop. I saw your car the day I picked mine up. Dave has a nack for finding gremlins. Seeing your bad hoses reminded me of some of mine that he replaced. I've driven my car nearly every day since Christmas and it's like driving a brand new car.
    Kelly

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Mitch:

I'd replace all hoses. In the plane, they are time limited (every 5 or 8 years) and that's a good idea, even with cars. It is telling that the 30k service didn't include the tensioners. That says something about the shop that serviced the car. I'd post the name, so that people in that area can avoid them.

Art

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I am replacing all the hoses and anything that has even a moderate probability of going south before the next major. Since I track the car a lot, and since I drive it to and from the track, I really don't want it to leave me 'low' and 'wet'.

I am holding back on the service organization as the car arrived with the engine in impecible state of tune, and the tensioners only went south when I spent several minutes (over the course of a day) above redline in a track event. In addition, I have had good dealings with them several times. It could very well be the case that the original tensioners were in perfect condition. It could also be the case that the tensioners were replaced with 'new old stock on shelf' of the older (but unused) tensioners.

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the engine bay pic, Sweet. Excellent work on saving big bucks on the heat sheild, looks like yours will last alot longer.

Who is doing the work on the car? Sound like they know what they are doing.