F355 rod bearing change w/pics, oil analysis | FerrariChat

F355 rod bearing change w/pics, oil analysis

Discussion in '348/355' started by ThomasK, Nov 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hi all,
    Ive posted a few times before mostly with my OCD kicking in and me needing to fix every dang potential problem with my car.
    Anyway, i got my 99 355 last year and have put about 3k miles on it and changed the oil twice. when draining the oil everytime there are small metal particles that always settle on the pan. the largest being the size of the tip of a pencil (maybe .2mmx.2mm?), so yes very small, but still, metal isnt good. ive driven the car anyway for the said 3k miles. i just completed a major service and found absolutely NO signs of wear on the cams, lifters, cam journals, etc. the heads were near perfect. i removed them to get freshened up anyway due to leak down through the exhaust valves.
    Everything is back together and decided to run the engine with some new oil, then drain and check for particles. i drain the oil after 20 minutes of run tim and i still see these damn tiny flakes of metal, so i figure what the hell, inspect the bearings, so i pulled the sump and i am in the process of inspecting all the bearings. Here is the bearing from rod #1 in the pics, looks like normal wear to me.
    i also inspected the oil filter and i could only find a few tiny specks in the element. Im going to take the oil i drained out and try to see if its aluminum or copper, the gold oil color makes everything look like copper.
    I plan on buying:

(16) new rod bolts from either Dave Rocks or Eurospares, need to check on their stock
    (16) STD rod bearings (Do i assume all the bearings i have are STD size??? or do i need to measure each one?) OEM or superformance?
    all the main bearings and do the "roll in" method to change the uppers. or just inspect the mains?

Oh, and here is the oil analysis of oil that is about 1k old about 1k miles ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Thomas - wow strong work. The bearings look normal but it's a bit hard to tell from the photos. I would not assume anything - I'd measure them. We have a set of rod bolts in stock on our online store.

3. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    thanks. i just spent a ton of time on the major service and head work so i dont want some other problem to ruin everything. i also dont want to take this engine apart again, so i figure i spend the cash on all new bottom end bearings and then just drive it and not worry.
    good to know on the bolts, ill let you know asap. do you consider those bolts better than the stock ones in any way or equivalent?

i plan on measuring all bearings and using plastigauge to measure clearances using my old bolts for that process since they will need to be torqued to get the clearance measurement.
    here are a few major pics, something we are all familiar with by now :) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Very cool! Hey Tom - did you make your engine stand from my drawings? It sure looks like it ;)

The bolts we sell are from the same manufacture who supplied Ferrari. It's my understanding that a few suppliers have been used. The quality is excellent.

5. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    heck yea i used your drawings, they were awesome. ive been meaning to thank you for putting them out there.
    do you have any opinion on rod bearings? i see some on superformance website, but i should probably take them out and measure before buying new ones.

just so im clear, my plastigauge should read the install clearance shown below, and my standard bearings should measure the thickness below?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You could always get some good ole plastigauge to at least know if your in the ball park.
    Generally the crank needs polished for new bearings. Back when I had a LT1 camaro, it was always the number 8 cylinder to spin a bearing probably because it was the last one to get oil on startup.

How are the internal cam gears and oil pump/chain? any wear there?

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The crank journals are case hardened. A worn bearing won't necessarily result in damage to the crank and the need to polish.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Using plasti guage is a black art, do it several times correctly torqued

johnk... likes this.
  10. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    i havent found any issue with the oil pump, etc yet. I now have the engine on a stand ready to not only change the bearings but go through the heads. plastigauge is a must and ive always used them as a "sanity" check after both measuring the old and new bearings to verify thicknesses. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    some pics of the old bearings i took out. They were pretty close to failure. luckily i caught them now. both rod bearings and mains are being changed.
    The crank is perfect, i think i caught the bearings in time before they were damaged enough to screw up the crank.
    the car had no symptoms, and sounded great, i am just obsessive about checking the oil very closely and ive noticed fine "shimmering" to the oil when doing the last 3 or 4 oil changes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    i know the oil analysis came back clean, but my intuition was telling me otherwise.

FlyingHaggisRacing likes this.
  13. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd be willing to bet nearly all of your sparkles in the oil were coming from #2.

14. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    yes #2 appears to be shedding larger pieces than the others. Im glad im doing this. the car was my daily all year and i want to keep it that way. Every day it is down is one less day i get to drive it.

15. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have any photos to post of all the rod bearings lined up 1through 8 ?