F355 Spider Top Replacement With Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 Spider Top Replacement With Pictures

Discussion in '348/355' started by 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not doing this myself !!!

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #27 97 Spider, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I put a little tape on the front edge so I wouldn't spread glue around on the top surface while I glued. I should have done the same on the inside bottom of the roof too, When I was wrapping it around I ended up with a bit of a mess I need to figure out how to clean up.

First I only glued about the first inch. I wanted to get the front edge of the top set nice and straight and where I wanted it. I used the binder clips again to hold it while it dried. Then I worked my way back, cut the hole for the release handle before you glue and make sure everything lays nice. Glue it all on and where it wraps around the back I used the clips again. I am not going to glue the bows until all is settled in where it wants to be this summer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #28 97 Spider, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well that's pretty much it. All that is left is to keep working on stretching the back inside corners so I can get the stud/cover clip bolts in and wrap the bows.

I just went out for a drive and got her all warmed up for the first time in nearly 6 months. I don't want to put the back in the garage again now. :)
    The sun is trying to sine so I left it out to soak some up even though the high is only going to be 60. Finally Ferrari season in Montana!

I hope this helps anyone wanting to undertake the challenge of doing this task your self.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This made me nervous just reading about it. Nice job and glad you got it to fit.

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don't blame you! This was a very trying ordeal. I gained some serious respect for those who do this sort of thing for a living. :)

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Many years ago, I had a 911 cab and had the top replaced due to vandalism. Brand new top from World Uphostery. Gave it to a professional in Laguna Hills. Did a great job on a perfect dry southern california day. Then a few months later, when the weather turned wet, the top got very loose. It seems the fabric stretches by an inch when wet. It was no longer tight.

Ever since then, I believe there is a trade secret that only the good professionals know in order to install the top nice and tight for all weather. It is something that you cannot learn by doing it once every 10 years.

7. uzername

uzername Rookie

Aug 12, 2014
    What glue did you use for your top? Ive been trying to do some research but have come up empty handed. Ive called several upholstery shops and have gotten mixed answers. Yours seemed to work well though.

8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I actually used 3M ultra pro trim and emblem adhesive. Its a brush on so it is much easier to control then the spay on adhesives and it holds better then anything. Hope this helps.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Similar thing happened with my leather tonneau cover. It was loose in some areas and tight in others. I had to punch the holes for the snaps myself. Once I got it reasonably close I started driving with it in place. Then this past month started parking it in the garage with the top down, cover in place. Over time, the engine heat, sun heat, and fixed mounting allowed the loose areas to shrink and the tight areas to stretch. It's still a little loose around the back edge along the engine compartment but much better than day one.

10. uzername

uzername Rookie

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks a bunch, Im going to go ahead and give this stuff a try. Your a life saver.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My father in law did this for a living. Trick was to make it super tight from the start

I thought I did an old mustang properly and when he say it laughed

I always send them out now, not worth my time and frustration

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    great thread and hats off to you. i had dealer do mine when car was being resprayed. this is way beyond my capability

13. uzername

uzername Rookie

Aug 12, 2014
    #38 uzername, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, the glue worked perfectly.

And a tip for anyone who may stumble upon this thread in the future looking for advice. When I got to the point where I needed to stretch the top, and work with it while it was hot, I kept running into the issue of either not having enough time to work on it in the sun, or the majority of the time, it would become overcast and start raining as it likes to do at a moments notice in southern Louisiana, so I couldnt work the fabric enough to do what I needed. I finally settled on trying a heat gun, and carefully and slowly heating up the fabric in the area I needed. It worked like a charm. Just be careful, dont concentrate the heat in one area, and dont apply to much heat to fast. And when working in the corners by the engine cover by where the two screws are, use extreme caution around the rear window. Its plastic, and a heat gun is hot. I dont think I need to say more. That would be a crummy way to ruin your new top.

Just be slow, and take your time.

Edit: Also, use masking tape, everywheres. Anywheres you think glue might get, tape it, and then several inches beyond that, and over there too. You cant use to much masking tape. It is much better to take another 30 minutes taping and covering stuff up, than to spend 2 hours trying to get glue out of your new top or carpet or something. I know 97_Spyder said all that, but Im reiterating, cause its that important.

Thanks again for the info 97_Spyder.

14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #39 97 Spider, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I'm glad it worked out for you. There are not a whole lot of people who want to tackle this but I went ahead and added it to the 355 DIY thread.

15. uzername

uzername Rookie

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks. It took some time, but all in all its not super bad. I think its just more nerve racking than anything. I tried to quit smoking during this, and that didnt work out to well for me. Hah. Any person with some decent mechanical skill can knock this out. Just takes patience and a steady hand.

16. CTC

CTC Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Gloucestershire
    Just a quick thank you to the OP, all these years later i have found a pic useful (removing the release handle)

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m glad something in here helped someone. That’s the whole reason I document and share.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

Well, following in the footprints of these intrepid FChatters, I decided to replace the canvas on my '98 spider.

2 hours in, and I'm surprised at how well I'm progressing with some things.

The old glue on the ribs seems quite giving and I'm not having any problems peeling it off.

First problem however:

I'm not sure I understand how to remove the handle. I'm hitting the pin which is at right angles to the axis of the handle with a pin punch but it's not moving. I've applied heat, but still no luck. I don't think penetrant would help. Am I hitting it in the right direction (towards the front of the car (with the roof latched closed)?
    Do I simply need a bigger hammer? I'm worried about cracking the windscreen.

There seems to be a roll pin along the axis of the pivot, but hitting that would seem to knock this pin deeper into the pivot point and possibly through the canvas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to attach photos to my messages using my iPhone. My PC is currently not connected to the internet.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Problem #2

Do I unhook the cables from the riveted end or somehow unhook the springs from the cables and remove the cables that way? The channel in the fabric is too narrow to drag the springs through. Also, the rivet head seems too large to remove the wire hooks.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is this the pin I hit (from the other side of the handle)?

I put a drop of Penetrene on the pin and will let it sit overnight and attack it in the morning.

22. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    You can not drill out the rivet and pull the cables out leaving the spring attached?

I am traveling so I can not look up much, but I think that handle pin has a hat on one side...maybe?

Qavion likes this.
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I decided not to mess with the rivets, but just prised open the hooks on the ends of the springs a little. I just hope they snap don't snap when I reclose them. I thought about drilling out the rivets, but I wasn't sure if I could find a matching type. The neck or whatever you call it is quite short.
    Hard to see in this photo....

Perhaps there is a hat on the handle pin. One end looks slightly bigger than the other. I couldn't see that in the first post though. I'm attacking it from the thin end, of course, but maybe the person who hit it in flattened out the end and it just looks like a hat.

I'll try again tomorrow with a bigger hammer

WATSON likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #49 Qavion, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    I'm not sure if all aftermarket tops are the same, but
    1. I'm missing a press stud which sits under the middle of the window. I had some replacement studs from another job, but there are tiny differences and don't match. I don't know if the old one can be refitted.
    2. My new top comes with 2 of the wires, so I'm hoping these will hook over the rivets. Otherwise I'll have to remove them and re-use the old ones.

I finally got the handle pin out. I removed the canvas from the car and was able to get a good look at what I was hitting. I applied heat and used the biggest pin punch I could fit in the hole (4.8mm). I was repositioning the canvas all the time and I forgot if I hit the pin from the aft or from the front. Also, the pin shot out of the hole onto the floor, so I'm not sure which end of the pin went where. The pin seems to be slightly tapered and bullet shaped at one end, so one end of the pin will go in a little easier than the other. There is an access panel on the roof front section on the opposite side to the handle which allows you to get to the other end of handle spindle. You may be able to release the handle that way if you can't get the pin out. It's held in with a circlip. You may mess up the handle alignment however by doing that.

In hindsight, I should have covered the whole handle in masking tape as the pin punch was jumping out of the hole and scratching the paint.

The really hard part will be gluing everything back together. I'm wondering how you get tension in the canvas if the new one is loose. as both fore and aft ends are fitted.

Just wondering what to use to cut a hole in the canvas wherever the handle spindle goes through.

Currently feeling a little light headed... I've been inhaling Scotch 700 adhesive remover for the last hour. It works really well, but it leaves you with a hangover.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Now going through a similar process with my car....

My first really major hurdle. The new top is way too narrow at the windshield.

Old top fabric 1130mm

New top fabric 1110mm

20mm difference (about 3/4")

I contacted German Auto Tops (North Hollywood) by email but they will probably laugh at me. eBay refunds are limited to 60 days. I've been building up my courage to fit this new top for 5 years.

https://www.germanautotops.com

It's a damned shame because the new top looks like it was bought yesterday. The old top was a bit of a dog's breakfast, but it's better than none. I suppose I could refit it, perhaps with double-sided carpet tape for easy removal.

I could imagine the top stretching a few mm with heat, but not 20. The windshield (front) rail is rigid, so I couldn't win back a few mm there (unlike the fore-aft fitting).