355 - F355 Stuttering | FerrariChat

355 F355 Stuttering

Discussion in '348/355' started by goodcoffeecode, Dec 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Hi all,

This is my first Ferrari, so apologies if this is a bit of a noob question!

Had my '96 F355 GTS manual for about 2 months now. A couple of days ago it felt a bit rough pulling away (almost like carb icing back in the day). Once I pushed through it, though, everything seemed OK.

Took it out this morning and it was the same. Did a 30 minute run on country roads and it was great. Parked it up for a couple of hours and now it's worse. Not able to "push through it" any more. Sounds really rough, so just limped it home. On the way home, the "Slow Down" light flickered for a second or two, but didn't stay on. Reading the manual, does this suggest that there's an exhaust problem? Oil pressure & temp, and coolant temp all normal.

It had a major service in July this year.

Any pointers to avoid a garage trip much appreciated, thanks :).

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Check
    ignition wires,
    spark plugs,
    fuel pressure
    and Cat Temp Protection circuitry.

It would help you if you can an OBD2 scanner for that car.

3. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    By "check" do you mean "wiggle a bit and make sure they're connected" or "test with some gadgetry"?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Pull the ignition wires from the car. 1) see if there is water in the spark plug holes, 2) measure the impedance, 3) inspect the ends to see if they are good.
    Pull the spark plugs, 1) read them,

5. sal123

sal123 Rookie

Dec 1, 2008
    Hi, it sounds more like the wiring harness has been stretched , when the engine was removed .
    this is a 5,2 right ?
    I have been working on Ferrari for 31 years now & have seen & fixed this problem many times
    The car starts & runs ok , but when you drive it & give it some load it starts to cut out , like a rev limiter.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The Slow Down light can only be caused by high cat temperatures (or perceived high cat temperatures due to thermocouple ECU faults). From your description though, it sounds like your initial roughness is appearing before the Slow Down system is triggering any kind of bank shutdown, so the roughness probably isn't due purely to excessive cat temperature, but rather a combustion problem (i.e. fuel/ignition issues).

If you can pinpoint the problem to a particular bank that would be helpful. What kinds of tools do you have? spark tester? infrared thermometer? OBD2 reader?

I assume you don't have a standard 16 pin OBD2 port under the dash as you're from the UK, so you'll probably have to buy a 3 pin to 16 pin adaptor and plug an OBD2 reader into your Motronic ECU diagnositic plug (behind the driver's seat). Google "Fiat 3 pin OBD adaptor" (either on this subforum or globally).

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The other thing you can do is ... bring a laser thermometer with you when you drive. When the stuttering happens, pull over, pop the lid, measure the temperature of the cat converters (L/R) and see which one is running hot.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So when the harness gets stretched which wire or wires makes the engine do this

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Harnesses are a bundle in a sheath, I'd be curious to hear how a specific wire in that bundle that causes this gets stretched but not the others, it would be good information to have. Perhaps its a wire pin end at the ECU connection plug?

alexanderfitu likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The wiring bundle for the 355 is very poorly made with thin gauge wires. Added to that the very small hole where the bundle has to squeeze through during an engine out damages the integrity of the wires. After many heating cycles, they go brittle and break when they get tugged in and out of the car. Then, you get to go hunting for which wire no longer makes contact.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Same as the 348? I pulled my engine and the wires practically fell out of the hole before I had a chance to feed them, more than large enough it seemed on 348?

But sure of the wires a think with age it becomes a brittle issue for sure. I think I am going to replace both my harnesses.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1st step on an OBD2 car is just to make your life easy. What are the codes?

26street likes this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On Ketel's 355, Injector number 2 was on all the time and caused cat to glow hot, shut down the bank. The bad wire was found, cut, rejumped, and it worked correctly.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    All the injectors use a common power source and individual earths from ECU pins to control firing. The only thing that would cause an injector to stay on all the time would be the wire from the ECU shorting to earth. Not sure how stretching would cause this. Sounds more like abrasion.

Mike Morrissey and johnk... like this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think the stretch cracked the rubber insulation right at the Ground points inside the harness. But unless we can cut it open, there is no way to be sure. It's fixed, it's gone on to the next owner.

Qavion likes this.
  18. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    OK, attempting to connect the car up to some sort of diagnostic. Ideally, I would like to be able to use one of the Bluetooth connectors that "just works" with a variety of mobile phone apps. I have a '96 euro car that was originally LHD until converted, so I assume the connector is behind the seat. This is what I found. Is that correct? If so, how do I go about connecting it to something useful please?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    if it's LHD, the OBD2 connector is under the dash about where the LHD driver's right leg.

20. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    It started life as LHD in Germany, but was properly converted to RHD over a decade ago when it came to the UK. Can you see the connector in this footwell shot?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a 95 355 and as many others on here have very intelligently (more so than I) posted, the "flickering" slow down light and car intermittently going into what is called "limp mode" is most likely a wiring issue and/or cat temp/ECU issue. For several years I/we (FoD) chased a condition where my 5-8 Check Engine (amber) light would briefly flash and then almost get "cancelled" by a very brief flicker of the red slow down light for the same bank - yet the car ran fine. They swapped ECUs etc. to see if the issue followed and it did not. Finally, after a LOT of digging there was a crimped wire and the overall wiring box was loose - wiggling the wire replicated the condition. New wire/re-solder/tighten the wiring case and wa-la - issue solved. Oh and BTW the darn thing did not throw and OBD codes - Grrr :-(

Anyway, LOTS of great diagnostic suggestions on here so good luck but IMHO wiring could be the culprit just from experience.

BTW - You might want to check out the Gold Connector Kit from Scuderia Rampante (I can find/send the link) - This will/can solve a LOT of annoying issues with the connectors and wiring that is a known weak spot in 355s (and other older Ferrari's I presume).

Good luck - Cheers :)

Carmellini likes this.
  22. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Thanks, good info :). Can you explain exactly where you found the fragility in the wiring? Locations photos always useful :).

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The value is in new connectors and tight fit. You can buy the ends and tools from digikey. The material is irrelevant and mixing metals causes galvanic corrosion. I would wager more people make things worse trying to put new ends on who lack experience/skill. The wiring is tight it's not like there is an extra foot to play with per wire. Personally Is just buy a new harness as issues can be the wire brittleness between the ends one spent time crimping possibly making things worse or best case still have same issue.

Just a thought.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mike Morrissey and Carmellini like this.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Btw you can download the WSM from various links it will guide you on most things. It's a 355... you'll need it and make plenty of use of it.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott