355 - F355 Stuttering | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 F355 Stuttering

Discussion in '348/355' started by goodcoffeecode, Dec 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well-stated and agree 100% FWIW :)

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So for some reason it jacked up the link I posted (why? Links get posted all the time - Operator error on my part? If so please educate me) - Anyway, just go here if you are interested - I would strongly recommend it - and if you are not the DIY type then just order the kit and have your local dealer or independent install it - does not cost that much and sometimes letting the pros do it saves money and improves the result in the long run - Cheers :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zamboniman308 likes this.
  3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So @ Dear Moderator - Just out of curiosity why did the link I posted for Scuderia Rampante get starred out and therefore did not/does not work? Did I do something wrong? I see links posted all the time (and have used them) referring people to sites for things like floor mats and other items - Why was my posted link rendered inoperable? Just wanting to know - many thanks as always - Cheers :)

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Basically agree, but I would say that material is relevant. If you examine the 355 harness you will find that all connectors are tin on tin or gold on gold. Yes, there are a couple of places where gold connector are used because the mating part has gold pins. Ferrari isn't stupid.

Diagnose the problem correctly. Based on you initial description it sounds most likely to be ignition related.

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Testing another posted link =>

https://us.puma.com/us/en/pd/speedcat-ls-mens-motorsport-shoes/380173.html?dwvar_380173_color=01&dwvar_380173_size=0320

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not a moderator, but simply history. Some websites are blocked because of sponsor ship related issues.

7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks - Yep must be it - Just posted an innocuous Puma link (awesome driving shows FWIW :) ) and it worked fine - Tried the SR link again and same result - Makes total sense - Thanks for the note - Cheers :)

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Targatime likes this.
  10. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
  11. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Progress on the left bank... Got the cover off, not obvious water ingress above or around the ignition wires (checked with kitchen roll). Remove 1 ignition wire so far and checked the spark plug hole for water - all dry. Quick question though... I was expecting a more substantial gasket to be affixed to the cover. Is it the green thing attached to the actual engine instead? Thanks all, really appreciating all the feedback so far :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You DO NOT want to leave that car in the rain .... it will fill up with water in those spark plug ports.

As for the OBD2 port on the 96 car. It is on the left foot well. What you showed is the right foot well. If that is not found then the proper diagnostic port is a 3 wire connector next to the ECU inside the passenger compartment. Even on the RHD cars, they should be behind the right seat against the fire wall.

13. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Don't worry, it's garaged. If the ports do fill up with water I can just unscrew the spark plugs and it'll drain away :)

14. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    When I first got my 96 355 the major had just been completed and the car barely driven. I had some rough idling, missing and SDL. I ended up replacing the Cat ecus and thermocouples. That fixed the SDL. The roughness was sorted with new plugs, wires and fixing a few worn connectors at the fuel injectors. You can jiggle the fuel injector connectors with it idling and see if you get any changes. New bosch connectors and boots can be found from several places. My stuff came from Eagle day.

https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure what plug that is. Perhaps the seat belt. By "behind the right hand seat", we mean on the carpeted firewall (between the cabin and the engine) under a leather-covered panel. If it's not behind there, then your car isn't a Motronic 5.2, but a 2.7.

It doesn't matter whether your car is a LHD or RHD. On a 5.2, the Motronic ECU is behind the right hand seat.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    AFAIK, only USA cars have a proper OBD2 diagnostic port under the dash. The ROW has had to improvise with adapators on 5.2 cars.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm still trying to figure out what engine you have. Could you take a full photo of your engine for clarification. My '98 looks a little different from your car, but that could be because my car is a later year. Note that on a Motronic 2.7 car, the diagnostics are completely different (no OBD2).

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It so happens I have a US 1996 355 in my garage with its guts hanging out. Here is the picture of the engine ECU compartment. The black connector, 3 pin, to the right of the picture is the OBD port.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So on your N. American Motronic 5.2 (?) '96 car, that diagnostic plug is plugged into something? i.e. plugged into a harness going to the 16 pin (proper) OBD2 port under the dash?

My Australian car has a USA 5.2 ECU/system as standard (except for the 16 pin OBD2 port under the dash). I leave the 3 pin plug, shown in your photo, dangling through a cutout provided in the leather cover for easy access.

20. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Qavion likes this.
  21. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    And here's a full shot of the engine bay to help identify the exact model variant. I'm assuming it's a 5.2 given the shared air intakes?

Qavion likes this.
  22. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Done

23. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    I've done some visual inspection of wires and this is the bundle in the rear left of the engine bay (coming from the exhaust ECU?). Anyway, the outer shielding has broken. I'm going to open them up a bit to check whether any of the internal wires have been compromised, but will simple electrical tape fix any issues here?

24. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Qavion likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    These pipes are part of the Secondary Air Injection system (used when the engine is cold). Leaks here may cause the O2 sensors to think that there is too much oxygen in the exhaust and the engine management system will pump too much fuel into the cylinders.

As Mitchell says, your diagnostic plug is the 3-pin plug (circled). You'll need a "Fiat 3-pin OBD2 adaptor" to allow you to plug in your OBD2 scanner. Search the forum or use Google to find more information on these adaptors.

Inspect those other plugs for damage (white and clear ones). They are pulled through the firewall during engine changes and do catch on things. These plugs can have loose pins and damaged wiring.