F360 CEL code P1269 | FerrariChat

F360 CEL code P1269

Discussion in '360/430' started by yelcab, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a 360 that runs only one bank 1, bank 2 has an error code P1269 and is shut off by the computer. Touching the headers confirmed that bank 2 is not running and remains cold to the touch while bank 1 is hot.

The 360 OBD code list has a generic descriptor "Function Monitoring, Safety Fuel Cut off" while my code reader has a more descriptive name for that code: "Throttle Safety Function, Bank 2"

I am extrapolating the two descriptions to mean "something is wrong with the electronic throttle self-test and bank 2 is shut off"

Questions for those of you in the know:

1) does that sound like a plausible extra-polation for the error code?
    2) Doesn't the left hand side ECU control the right hand side throttle plate? If so, how does it know that the left side throttle plate is bad?
    3) How do I test a electronic throttle plate functionality?

I seem to remember a thread by Trev360 a few months ago about throttle plate testing ...

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Try swapping TB and Maf and exhaust EcU

Also check inertia switch

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

one4torque and Qavion like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Why does the Left ECU need to know that the left side throttle plate is ok? If there are any comparisons to be made between left and right, then I guess it would be done via the CAN Bus between the ECUs.

The terminology is quite different (fuel vs throttle). We know generic readers don't always interpret Ferrari codes correctly. For peace of mind, however, perhaps swap the throttle bodies as Dominick suggested. Although I earlier suspected the interia switch, the Ferrari fault description is confusing:

The inertia switch provides either 12 volts or an earth to the ECU. Fairly black and white. You wouldn't think an inertia switch would have a "range/performance" issue. Also, I recall you changed the interia switch already for this problem.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suspect that if you had a throttle body issue, you would see the car go into "limp" mode, which is limited to 20% throttle, essentially idle only.

I would skip looking at the TB's and MAF's and move onto something else.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would agree with the MAF but i seem to recall a safety circuit if throttle body senses an issues ..can be getting confused with another model

6. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    My bet is on a throttle body failure. There are 2 independent potentiometers within the throttle mechanism one goes from 0-5volt and the other from 5-0volt as the throttle moves fully closed to fully open. The computer adds the 2 results together and the result should always be 5v therefore the computer knows exactly how far open the throttle is and it's operating normally. If it adds the 2 values together and gets a value outside 5v it triggers a check engine throttle failure warning and goes into limp mode (for safety). Throttle bodies should be replaced in pairs as they can behave differently with age so it's best to have matched performance.

You can verify it's throttle body by switching them side to side (very easy) and if the bank shutdown moves you have verified the problem.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

2) BIG YES.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Update: So it got better and much worse at the same time.

I was able to get the car reliably running on both banks by swapping out a flaky master relay, and cutting the power to the battery overnight. The shut down error has not repeated. Armed with the running car, I have been driving the drive cycle for 2 days to reset all the smog monitors to pass smog in California. No CEL, no pending DTC for 2 days. On the third day, the engine fired up and ran for a minute then the CEL light came on. There were 12 engine error codes. There were so many I had to group them into groups to make sense.

Group 1: Road Bed Roughness Signal (what the hell is that?)
    Group 2: Intake manifold switching valve, evap system purge valve, secondary air pump switching valve
    Group 3: Air Mass Flow Circuit Low
    Group 4: Heater O2 Sensor B1 S2
    Group 5: Misfires on Bank 2 Cyl 5 and 8

I am going to see if I can do a vacuum test, smoke test on the intake manifold to check out the valves, and continuity check on MAF.
    Then probably look to see loose connection somewhere.
    Does anybody have a clue what Road Bed Roughness mean?

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know you already went down this path ..have you checked voltage (battery and alternator ) and grounds ?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did the last time it paid me a visit. But I will check the battery again.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

Road bed roughness is mentioned in this thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/check-engine-light-on-02-spider.16323/

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #12 Qavion, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Quite a few of those devices have a common power supply.

Power comes through connector 4L/2S (via 2 purple wires)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Power comes from the RH master relay via fuse 38.

360trev and EastMemphis like this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I couldn't find a discrete wire from the ABS to the Motronics ECU/s, so it must be on the CAN Bus.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did all the smoke test and vacuum tests of the Evap circuits and connectors, Secondary air injection circuit and valve, Modular manifold tuning valve circuit and vacuum test... everything is working well. Seeing though many of these error codes have to do with "signal xx shorted to ground" I am going to do an experiment to see if the short is actually inside the CPU module. I will swap CPU left to right, cut power over night, and drive cycle the next few days to see if some of the errors move from bank to bank.

I do want to change the rear O2 sensor on Bank1 or the smog monitor will never set.

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    This...

@mitchell,

On the face of it is sounds like a bad wiring loom. Maybe something is introducing noise into the power circuitry, could be a failing alternator for example. This could absolutely destroy the signal quality that sensors the ecu reads.

Start isolating fault codes between LHS and RHS.

To help you I've attached Jonathan's firmware tailored fault code report. These are specific to individual ecu firmware's, they may be the same as your car ecu but to confirm I'd need to generate you a report specifically for your ecu firmware part number.

Attached Files:

imahorse and Qavion like this.
  16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Trevor , I already have the error codes isolated between banks:

Bank 1: Road roughness code, Sec Air Inj codes, Manifolds tuning codes, MAF code, O2 sensor code
    Bank 2: road roughness code, misfires 300/301/304

I will swap the CPUs left to right anyway but it is unlikely to affect the Sec Air Inj, and manifold codes since those functions are specific to bank 1. The O2 sensor code and MAF code may move.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    @360trev ,

On the pdf document you attached, if the error codes are shown to be logged by Bank 1, then that condition happened on Bank 1, even though the codes are being logged by Bank 2 ECU?
    Am I reading that correctly?

For example, all misfire codes are grouped under Bank 1 ... but cyl 5-8 are obviously on Bank 2. Does that make any sense

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Also the pdf document refers to LH bank as Bank 1, and RH bank as Bank 2. In Ferrari speaks, it is RH bank to be Bank 1 and LF bank to be Bank 2.

But, putting all that aside, and using the information in the document, I have segregated all error codes to come from right Bank. There are three misfire codes tied to the CPU on bank 2, 300/301/304, and those are misfires for Cyl 1 and Cyl 4, which are also on Right Bank.

The exercise indicates that all error conditions are happening on the right bank, and the causes are likely bad wiring, or bad ECU, or bad circuits inside the ECU unit.

Does that compute?

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Also, the side comments for many of the codes refer to a "power amplifier ... " that must indicate something inside the ECU box...

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    E.g.

SECONDARY AIR PUMP RELAY CONTROL ( P1450 )
    • The error is validated only during the air pump operation
    ERROR TYPE: VBATT SHORT CIRCUIT
    VERIFICATION: In diagnosis mode, check that the Secondary Air Pump is functioning correctly. Wiring check.

TOPOLOGICAL: AIR PUMP RELAY
    I would swap ecu bank to bank to check if these faults move over. If they don't it is not the ECU that's the fault, that's a simple check to make that I would do next.
    If the ecu is eliminated it does actually point at this stage to a + battery short circuit problem...

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    That's all the ecu can see it as but it garbage in garbage out, if the power driving it is bad it could look like something else. Try swapping ecu's and report back.

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I swapped the ECU over and it will take several days of cold start and driving to see any changes. There is one additional clue that happened before the change and after the change.

Sometimes during the drive, the ASR warning light comes on, the ABS light comes on, and the Speedometer drops to zero. Turning the car off, and back on again makes that error condition go away. This was before the ECU change as well as after the ECU swap. I'm unsure if it is related to all the other codes but I thought full disclosure is better.

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did you check speed sensor..not sure if that was mentioned before

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #24 Qavion, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021

Interesting...

But why only bank 2 affected?

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #25 yelcab, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Update:

@Qavion, @360trev, @flash32

Two days of driving after swapping the ECU L/R,

1) No CEL yet, pending codes P1149 and P1189
    2) Speedo meter did drop to zero and works again after car is restarted. Before and after the swap pointing to a real Wheel Speed sensor issue at RR wheel
    3) Throttle response is nil. I can floor the pedal and it acts like no gas is given. When there is any response, the Pedal Position parameter maxes out at 20%.

I am going to give it one more day to see if the CEL comes back.