F40 ex-Mansell + F50 #001 public viewing in Miami tomorrow | FerrariChat

F40 ex-Mansell + F50 #001 public viewing in Miami tomorrow

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by dariedell, Feb 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dariedell

dariedell Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2021
    United States
    Full Name:
    Andrew Riedell
    An FYI. A picture I took today (preview day) is attached. Event is 11am - 5pm tomorrow (Sunday Feb 20, 2022) in Miami design district. I figure some in the South Florida area would appreciate the opportunity to see special examples of 2 of the set of 5 in one place together (among several Pagani/Bugatti/Lamborghini/etc.)

Event is the Miami Concours, I am not affiliated. Seems to be co-hosted (or at least promoted) by Curated and Prestige Imports.

If you were at Amelia Island 2021, you already saw both of these. The F50 was in the main judged Concours and the F40 was on display on the grounds. There was also another F40 in the RMS auction and yet another F40 roaming around - the Mansell car had the 'Curated' sticker on its windshield.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

VetroresinaNL, k-noso, ross and 3 others like this.
  2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Does the Mansell car still have those awful leather seats he had fitted? from memory he flipped it very quickly after delivery for a healthy profit then tried to sue the buyer as they resold it for even more and he wanted a slice of that to!

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    F50 #001 is actually chassis number 103097.
    While it does have a tag stating 001/349 it is by no means the first F50 built.
    There are (20) twenty F50 chassis numbers earlier (lower) than this one.
    103097 was originally owned by Belgian real estate magnate and race driver Jean Blaton.

Marcel Massini

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is the one pictured here the ex Blaton car? I dont remember the Blaton car having the US bigger moustaches.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The ex-Mansell F40 has the standard red Nomex seats again, the previouis tan leather seats were not fitted by Mansell, but by a subsequent owner.

That's not what happened. In the Autumn of 1989, Mansell contracted to sell the gifted F40 to David McKee for £680,000. At the same time, John Collins of Talacrest offered Mansell £1,000,000 and so the car was sold to Talacrest instead. This began a lengthy legal battle between Mansell and McKee which was resolved with Mansell having to pay McKee the £320,000 difference.

Yes that's the ex-Blaton F50, good spot, at some point it has gained the Tipo USA nose, perhaps he wants a bit more downforce at high speed, most important thing about this F50 IMO is how often it is driven & enjoyed.

dariedell likes this.
  6. dariedell

dariedell Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2021
    United States
    Full Name:
    Andrew Riedell
    Thanks for the addition, Marcel. What is the significance of the #001 tag, then - if any? In other words, how/why did this example end up with tag #001?

Joe already confirmed, but yes, the F50 is ex-Blaton. It has the signature, thin yellow stripe from the factory done uniquely for him. Can be seen in pic below.

Another variant I read (via Bonhams for their 2014 sale of this car), and which is really only academically different from what you've said, is that Mansell was actually forced to sell the car for the original price to McKee, and McKee then immediately took Talacrest up on their offering price and pocketed the difference. So, mathematically identical to yours, which may indeed be the superior retelling. Interestingly, contemporary reporting supports the 680k GBP figure, but wire documents indicate 670k (both attached, credit Curated).

Either way, 1m GBP in 1989...I guess the backorders really were that bad. Let's see...that's about 1,583,000 USD at the time, or 3,535,000 USD today. The car was listed for sale for 245,000 EUR in August 2004...302,000 USD then, 448,000 USD today. Somebody took a very large bath on this car in the 1990s, but I am sure they had some fun. Curated sold this car last summer for, I can say, not even within a million USD of the Talacrest purchase, inflation adjusted. Of course, F40 values have suddenly increased so much even from just last summer so maybe we're back to Talacrest being proven right by now.

Additional info on this F40, for those curious - it's a Euro-spec, 1989 example with Lexan windows, lightweight doors, no catalytic converters, and a non-adjustable suspension. So, due to multiple factors, this car is significantly lighter than, say, a 1992 US model. Given its 1989 model year I *believe* it's one of the last cars that came out with these 'early' features, and, via Joe, I know the Lexan windows alone make this 1 of 82.

Closer pic of the F50 nose winglets attached. The car had side indicator lights added upon US import (not sure when that was), so perhaps the winglets sprouted then as well. And yes, the owner @dennis_akoyaking brings this F50 out to all sorts of events. This was actually the fourth time I've seen it in the past year. If I remember correctly, he drove it from Miami to Amelia Island and back last year. The Amelia outing was its first after an engine rebuild and partial restoration by Curated. It is currently straight-piped and very, very loud.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

willcrook and joe sackey like this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Call the 680k - 670k difference of 10k attorney's fees!

Meanwhile I'm fairly sure my version is correct and Talacrest got the car direct whereas McKee was simply paid the difference, here below is John Collins on the day he collected the car directly from Nigel Mansell's dealership.

As regards the F50, I think a reinforced Tipo USA nose was applied as part of this car's USA DOT Federalization process which included the side-markers you mention, now deleted.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dariedell and chrixxx like this.
  8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    he had his own petrol station? :)

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FWIW 80022 was originally registered on Italian tourist plates EE 729 AK, and then Mansell got Isle of Man plates MAN 40 N, and Collins had it re-registered on English license plates F 226 YRU.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey likes this.
  10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    He had his own dealership at the time, South coast way from memory, so I guess it came with a petrol station.

I think the car was part of his package when he joined Ferrari from Williams, maybe a Testarossa as well?

I was told an F40 belonging to Mansell had a replacement rear clip fitted at some point, no idea if it was this one though or another at his dealership. I know where that original clip is. It is a very early clip, no numbers at all cast into the aerofoil part.

willcrook likes this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11 joe sackey, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Why not, petrol stations can be very profitable.

Nigel Mansell Sports Cars, he sold it to the Westover Group.

Here's Mansell with the car at an open day at the dealership when he hosted the UK Ferrari Club.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    sjp likes this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    of course, just an odd fact I never knew - here in the UK it is rare to have independently owned petrol stations

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It was a Mobil station, perhaps that means something.

15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    1989 was a roller coaster year…Ferraris were selling for absolutely stupid prices. The speculation led to all sorts of shenanigans and people/speculators losing large baskets full of hard cash when the economy burst a year or so later. It took decades in some cases for the rebound.

dariedell likes this.
  16. dariedell

dariedell Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2021
    United States
    Full Name:
    Andrew Riedell
    NürScud and joe sackey like this.