F40 luggage set | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 luggage set

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by CollectorMorry, Dec 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It is with the car indeed.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This is true.

3. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    The original luggage was monogramed with the name of the original owner. Part of the deal. Years from now it will make a difference. The point is that if I go to scaglinetti for a new 250 gto body its not a Ferrari. What would you do if you knew the luggage was dated? Easy to spot the "fakes" . I am sure many cars will be advertised with the phrase "includes tools, books, and luggage".

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not entirely accurate. The original luggage came 3 ways:

- No tag.

- Chassis number.

- Owner's name.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That's it....

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I should point out that the chassis number version is preferred by collectors because that is assigned to and lives with the car forever..

7. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Ive seen over 50 usa F40. I have never seen luggage with a chassis number. All the people that I personally that bought the cars had their names on the tag> saying that collector prefer the chassis number makes me think that thats how your luggage is marked. Anyone has access to the chassis number and can have it put on the tag at any time. How many people know the original owner? Seems to me that will make the luggage more valuable. Many of the cars were leased and never titled in the original purchasers name so their is no record on their ever having posession of the car. In all cases, the tags that were monogramed by the luggage maker with the name of the people that purchased the car would seem to be the most valuable. If you are trying to sell a car on its ownership record, a chassis tag number does not represent the history of the car. A monogramed tag would. Wouldnt you love to see Nick Mason, Eric Clapton, or Rod Stewart rather than a 5 digit number? Your making these things up as you go along.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You may have a point about some collectors preferring the original names. I recently had 2 seperate collectors tell me they preferred the chassis number rather than the name of some random guy they knew nothing about, thats why I noted that these seem preferred, but I suppose owners could take a vote on this.

Personally I don't have a preference one way or the other.

However, the point I wanted to make is that the luggage was supplied without any tag, with chassis number, and with name. I have seen examples of all on original Schedoni luggage sets supplied with USA F40s.

You say you have seen 50 cars, but remember that leaves another 161 cars, and some of these (not all came with luggage anyway) may have luggage without tags, tags with chassis numbers and tags with monograms. If you search on F-Chat you will see original Schedoni luggage supplied new that has a chassis number embossed tag cleary inscribed by Schedoni at new.

9. cirugiadigestiva

cirugiadigestiva Formula Junior

May 2, 2010
    ibiza
    Full Name:
    francisco vilas
    one question?, when the turbos of our,s car,s need to be changed, and your order s new,s turbos to original maker, thi,s a fake car also?
    my valet,s are 100% originals makes by and original schedoni, one thing is to talk about a car, and another thing is to talk about the secondary parts, and in a 400.000 euros car, 3.000 euros valets, is a secondary parts........please be serius
    for my to use a used,s and thirty valets is disgusting. when I buyed my f40 I send also the seats to tappizzeris luppi to change the upulstery, is my car also a fake?

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Francisco: pay no attention to any notion that components replaced due to time and wear & tear makes your car a fake. Just silly.

11. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Lets pretend that we are talking about a 250 GTO. Original parts are always more valuable. Dont be foolish enough to let go of those original turbos. In the future they will be priceless. Same goes for batteries, alternator, oil filters, water hoses, etc. My problem is that in the future those cars will be sold as if thats the original luggage and it came with the car. If you have the original luggage and its not monogramed, you should also have the original tags blank. Its already been 20 years since luggage was first produced. Replacement luggage is not original luggage. Access to the original owners name will be difficult in the future. Besides, its not like your going to travel with that luggage anyway.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Lets not, because we aren't.

How about original gas in the tanks? Just silly.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hell, no....someone would find my lost F40 luggage and return it to Nick mason or eric Clapton's house!!! LOL!

That would be a long drive to go get it...although i'm sure interesting...

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Original Purchasers name is always in the warranty Card Coupon Book??

Has that changed??

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I worked at the time in one of the largest dealers and not one F40 we sold had luggage. The sets we sold were sold after the fact and you could request them marked or unmarked, your choice.

How original are those?

Like Joe said, silly argument.

16. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Sorry Joe, but those Vin number bags you posted look like the leather doesn't match the tag leather.

I have 2 sets, both have owner names on them. Thought about redoing them but I thought it would look cheesy and take away from the originality.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ive that set in person, and I have no doubt its original. Ditto several other sets I have seen, including one from an East Coast-based gentleman whose car I sold (he was the ORIGINAL owner) who told me he specifically requested the set with chassis number from new.

18. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Guys that sell cars are always going to hype whatever they need to to increase the value of whatever they are selling. Thats a fact. For instance who claims that 92's are the most valuable? All the 92's were made in 91 and there are no differences. Sell the sizzle and not the steak. If its important to the value of a GTO to have original parts then its important for the value of all Ferrari's. There are Ferrari "historians" that charge tens of thousands of dollars to tell you the history of the car because they claim it adds value. This is the business that some of you deal in. There are people that charge commissions to broker car deals when they add no value. Taking pictures of a car and documenting the ownership history do not add value in my opinion, it only drives up the price of the car so that someone can make money on the deal. It also does not guarantee that the car will be trouble free. There have been several well represented F40"s here that have had mechanical problems even though they were PPI'd. What does that say about the representation? There is no way to tell how many miles a car has been driven since an F40 speedometer can be easily unplugged and there will be no record of the actual running time. Also, F40 speedometers are one of the most popular items purchased by interim "owners". Ask the parts guys how many they have sold. They dont go bad that often. Show me the original date coded tires. FYI original tires will be worth a fortune in the future if they are compatible with the cars manufacture date. The truth is that most cars dont have their luggage because the dealer kept because the cars were leased. Most of the F40 were leased. The luggage was an option. Am I wrong? I was told by the an F40/ F50 owner that all the F50's and most of the F40 were leased. You make a couple of lease payments and flip the car for a million. Thats return on investment. You think these cars are purchased by people wwho love and drive them your wrong. If the luggage wasnt included you are adding options to a car that never had them and that should affect the value. I dont care only that if I sell an F40 the value will be based on these "old wives tales". Not to bore you with the math but it takes only 29 examples to predict the rest of the population with a 99.7% certainty. Since there are many variables at work i think i can say that most luggage was not identified by the chassis number at the time of purchase. Since this is the rare case it may be more valuable. These are not harmless random facts. Luggage purchased with the car at the time of sale with the "owners" name should have more value than luggage purchased 20 years later. Same goes for a GTO. People that leased the cars to flip them, and there were many, simply left the tags off/blank so that the sucker that paid 1.5 million could act like the original purchaser to impress his friends. Its far more impressive to buy the cars at list price and sell for 1.5 million than it is to be the sucker that paid the millions. Perhaps those peoples names should make the luggage worth the most. I'm sure that in the future this site will be archived and used to determine whose cars have original luggage and whose dont. It will be a great resource for future historians. Same goes for all internet and ebay transactions. Imagine the value of your car being determined by what missing items you had to acquire 20 years after the fact. Do you get my point. I wouldnt want to be the guy that overheated his F40 engine or a certain 288 GTO owner whose car caught fires and had to totally repair the car. Everyone now thinks that is a no issues car but some know better. And you guys are talking about Roland Linders car. The question is "why do you want the luggage in the first place". If the answer is to increase the value of the car; then you should be defending my point. If you have the original window sticker you will see what I mean. If it doesnt say luggage then your car doesnt have it. Dont pretend like it does. As for the GTO comment, Ill never buy one and you'll never sell one.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

Of the 211 USA F40s built for the street, the cars from car number 192 (chassis number 92708) onwards were in fact all built in 1992. 92708 was built in January 1992. This means that nineteen (19) USA F40s were actually built in 1992, ending with chassis number 93627. Yes its true that 41 cars built in late 1991 are considered "model year" 1992 cars, but the fact also remains that 19 cars were built in 1992 and to make a statement that "All the 92's were made in 1991" shows us clearly that you are simply guessing.

Clearly, you're making these things up as you go along.

20. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    So what makes them more valuable? It just tells me that those cars were made using parts that were left after the best parts had been selected to make the higher quality 91 cars. Thats the way it would be with any other make/model. Unless we are talking about the last corvette show. I was referring to the ROW 92 models since you were just guessing. I would say the earlier the cars the more valuable due to the joy of working on a new model and all the hype. I would say that the quality control got worse as time went on. Also, all of the parts for those cars were delivered in 91, and made in 91. No parts were delivered in 92 except for paint. All sub assemblies are the same. Also what were the changes made to the USA cars from model year 90 to 92? Please explain the value differences for cars assembled in different years using parts made in the same year. Yes I am asking you to justify your opinion as an expert. Its your chosen profession. Winchester rifles made at the end of the production run are the worst of the lot. Poor attention to detail and worn out tooling.

21. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Maybe the last enzo was the best. No way on the F40. But i can say that every Mclaren F1 ever built is a good as the next/last one. The 92 I saw in Salt Lake City had green elephant snot smeared all over the inside. When I saw that car again years later it had been cleaned up. Now thats quality control......

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Then who is spreading these tales? I also realize that there many types of buyers and that you do a great service to some of them. I would not want to buy a car that I could not fix myself or that someone had to explain to me. I certainly wouldnt use the car to do a spread in Heavy Hitters magazine and give them my life story. I realize that there are others that that need guidance. These conversations will have an impact on the value of these cars in the future. Thats what I'm concerned about. In vintage Ferrari circles a car with known history always seems to command more money than one that has unknown ownership. It doesnt matter to me where its been as long as I own it in good condition. Of course if you own a 92 you would like to think that your car is special when your lined up next to 20 identical cars. Also no 92 ever resold for as high a price as the 90's and early 91's. The bubble had burst by then. "Sell the sizzle, not the steak!"

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Don't ask me.