F430 Cabin Fan runs with car turned off | FerrariChat

F430 Cabin Fan runs with car turned off

Discussion in '360/430' started by troyce, Jan 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    The next to last time I parked the 2006 F430 Spider about a week ago, the cabin fan was still running after turning off the car and removing the key. "Hmm, probably like the rad fans that sometimes keep running too cool things down," I blithely and innocently surmised.

Wrong. Upon attempting to take it for a spin yesterday afternoon, as the snow is finally gone for a bit, I found the battery completely and utterly flat. So much so I figure perhaps damaged. So, new battery, but the cabin fan continues to run for up to half an hour after turning off the car. I'm forced to turn the master-switch in the luggage compartment to OFF for now.

Forum searches reveal plenty of 'fan not working' issues, but I can find nothing on a fan that continues to run after turning off the car. A bit of further info, the rotary fan switch seems to have no bearing on fan speed, in addition to not turning the fan off. Car running, not running, whatever - fan still going. Only killing power via the master-switch affects it.

Help please?

TIA

~Troyce
    1998 550 Maranello
    2006 F430
    1987 328 GTS

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    This is the first of such issue I have heard.

My guess would be your AC ECU / Electronic Climate Control Unit has gone bad, or some of the A/C relay is stuck in the closed position.
    Please see workshop manual section 12 under Air Conditioning, Components, 12.10

Hope that helps.

Dan

troyce likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Is it just the fan or are other things running in the car as well. If other things are still on then its possibly the key controlled devices relay.

I'm in agreement if just the fan likely the AC ECU gone bad. Does it maintain temperature and run the heat/AC as expected? Those ECUs are known to go kaput. Does the fan speed change as you turn the knob? As above AC relay is a great starting point.

troyce likes this.
  4. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    #4 troyce, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Only the fan continues to run, as far as I can tell. Fan speed does not change when the fan speed control knob is turned, even to the OFF position.

Heating and AC cooling continue to work, although a bit erratically in being difficult to control the temp (which may be normal for these cars).

When I first got the car, turning the fan control knob to AUTO caused the fan speed to oscillate about once per second from a high to a low speed. The other positions simply increased/decreased the speed as, I think, they should. Once yesterday turning the knob to AUTO caused the oscillation, but then that stopped happening too. Once or twice turning the car off, then restarting, caused the fan speed to increase or decrease, perhaps, but possibly with only a change in the "tone" of the fan sound as if a door were being opened or shut in the duct system.

Erratic behavior within a small window, but fan always running in the end at the same speed whether ignition on or off, car running or not - a speed seemingly consistent with fan speed control knob position 2.

Having cut total battery power several times over the past few weeks to address a previously bad battery, could an ECU reset perhaps change things? I did one version of a reset, and the car seemed to correct itself (SLOW DOWN idiot lamp on first start, but gone on restart) but who knows.

Thanks much for your replies!

~Troyce
    1998 550 Maranello
    2006 F430
    1987 328 GTS

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's heater reset procedures.

You might want to give it a try and see if it helps your situation.

Dan

Attached Files:

troyce likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd put my money on the HVAC ECU

maybe the Blower resistor. Def try the reset above. last summer I want to say I had a similar issue and it was the ECU.

troyce and whatheheck like this.
  7. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Thanks much, vrsurgeon & whatheheck,

I will try the reset as soon as I get back to the car's location, but also find it likely that it's a board/chip issue. The car has been a mess electrically since day one, as it came with a bad battery. Chances are start attempts with a low battery (which wouldn't matter to a reasonably designed car) has fried something.

~Troyce
    2006 F430
    1998 550 Maranello
    1987 328 GTS

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Youre welcome Troyce.

Kindly keep us posted on what the culprit was so we too can learn something.

Thanks!

Dan

9. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Will do.

10. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    All,

I have tried the reset rountine a dozen times, no joy. However, the next to last time I turned the battery disconnect switch back on to start and move the car, the notoriously always-running fan came on then just stopped running with no input from myself. Moved the car, turned it off, fan still off. Left the battery switch on. Drove the car again, tried the fan switch in various configs, fan turned off with fan switch. Turned off the car, went to the house all happy. Today, two days later, the battery is dead flat. Put a charge on it via the terminal behind the drivers (car is LHD) seat to open the front hood, with fan running vigorously right along, turned off battery-disconnect switch under front hood, fan continues running still, full blast - with the battery switch OFF. Disconnected the charger from the terminal behind the seat, fan stopped, of course.

Does that still sound like an Air-Con ECU, or what? I am completely flummoxed here.

I had what I thought would be a great plan, to buy a car with a few miles thinking the bugs would be worked out. Alas, no . . . it's still a Ferrari.

~Troyce -
    1998 550 Maranello
    2006 F430 F1
    1987 328 GTS

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Troyce,

What after market modifications do you have installed on your car? Or is your car all stock?

As far as I know the Battery Master Power switch shuts off all power to the car except for the alarm system so the climate control system should be all off if you turn the battery master power switch off.

So another suggestion for you would be to check your battery terminals and see what wires you have attached directly to the battery terminals as that could be your culprit.

12. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    To the best of my knowledge, Dan, the car is totally stock. However, checking for odd-looking (assuming factory parts won't be odd-looking, which is a big assumption) connections to the battery terminals sounds like a good start. Thanks.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would suggest that you start pulling fuses or relays to stop the fan. Then ID the fuse/relay to isolate the circuit and start troubleshooting from there.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Thanks, Mello - another good idea. Now, where to start . . . .

15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would start with the high-rated fuses since the fan takes about 5-10 amps along the A/C circuit.

whatheheck likes this.
  16. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I had exactly the same symptoms on my 360. I took my car to Modena where they replaced the Electro blower regulator -
    part number 64280200. Fixed the issue immediately with no recurrence.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Thanks for the reply, belfry. I found this part in a parts book, looks as if it is under the dash to the rear or the boot bulkhead. Do you mind letting me know the approximate labor charge for the replacement of the part? It does not appear to be easily accessible to a DIY'er.

18. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    It wasn’t a big job. I don’t have the paperwork here, but it was something like 1 hours labour. Access was from the passenger footwell. I’m sure it’s a diy job if you have the time.

19. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Removing the "AC" Fuse in the pax foot appears to have removed the power from whatever fan was running. Since it comes and goes, hard to know for sure. Didn't think to reinstall the fuse while I was in there to check that.

Interestingly, removing the relays in the luggage compartment for "L" and "R" fans, as well as the two for the same functions - adjacent to the "AC" fuse - in the footwell changed nothing; fan still running.

My meager reckoning brings me to strongly consider replacement of the blower regulator 64280200, per Belfry's information. Alas, my service manual has only a "We're getting to that" (sure you are) note in the section that MIGHT cover this part. If it's elsewhere, I can't find it. I see it in the parts diagrams, but it is not clear at all to me where one would dive in to locate it. Help?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I cannot confirm, but #11 sure likes like a blower resistor/regulator. I have had this component fail on my BMW a few times, and it would cause the blower motor to randomly run on shutdown, draining the battery. It also has a bunch of metal rods on it that air blows across. Failed last (again) last May 2017 so installed a new oem one...and it failed again in February 2018...thankfully had a lifetime warranty from the seller, so quick replacement.

whatheheck likes this.
  21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks like it's easy enough to remove. Disconnect the electrical connector while the fan runs. If it stops, you're on the right track.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ... blower resistor/regulator are actually quite robust in general. Most of the time, a worn blower fan is the cause of the resistor/regulator failure because it draws current that exceed the wattage rating of the resistor/regulator and burns it out.

23. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Hah, yep, if I could get to it, quite easy to R/R. I'm pretty sure I've managed to find it with a mirror on a yard long stick, can sort of get some light on it. It's almost against the inside of the front bulkhead. Maybe I should use a metric stick.

Here's another amusing thing I found upon removing the glove-box and relocating the airbag. Just floating in the breeze. Cannot find a clue where it goes, if anywhere. Might be for a glove-box option CD or some other thing.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Maybe in general, but in some they were poorly designed. BMW E39s and E46s had a blower regulator that was upgraded/redesigned four or five times over the production of the cars, and beyond...yet even the final design continues to have premature failures (my recent failure in my BMW was after replacing both the motor and resistor with factory Valeo parts last year). The 430 could very well be in the same boat...it is a Ferrari after all...its not like the rest of the car is a model of reliability.

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That brings back memories. In my e39 M5, this was called a Final Stage Resistor. I replaced at least two of them after the dealer replaced one under warranty, and yes, each successive design was different.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

f355spider likes this.