F430 Full Capristo Exhaust System | FerrariChat

F430 Full Capristo Exhaust System

Discussion in '360/430' started by StoneCold, Jan 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    I've got a 2008 F430 Spider F1. I've just ordered a full Capristo Exhaust system (Headers, Sports Cats & Valved muffler level 2/3 with remote) from Scuderia Systems in UK. I see there has been several threads on Capristo exhausts in the past which has been most helpful to read and what lead me to select Capristo as the exhaust of choice. It will be fitted later in the month.

Like a lot of other owners I had a header failure last year which luckily happened (or was detected) just before end of warranty. However I know this will happen again, so this has been the prompt to change the headers. In the end I decided to go the whole way and replace cats and muffler, as I'm keen on having the best race sound I can. The only slight concern was about changing the Cats due to the well documented CEL issues with some aftermarket products. I'm being assured that Capristo have cracked this with their latest Sports Cats and guaranteeing me I will not get a CEL.

While quite a number of past contributors have either changed the header and/or muffler to a Capristo item, has anyone already installed the full system on an F430? I'm particularly interested if there has been any issues with the Sports Cats. I plan to keep the OEM cats & muffler just in case.

Any comments appreciated!

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Congrats on your new system. Wonderful exhausts. I don't think Capristo will guarantee not to get a cel (although I might be wrong depending on the actual exhaust) - Manu is the expert at Scuderia systems! They do have the new simulator:

http://www.capristo.de/en/exhaustsystems/einzelkomponenten/simulator/exhaustsystems.html

Are you fitting the Scuderia complete system that involves drilling through the rear area to get the high output pipes - F430addict has done just this installation.
    I assume when you mention keeping the original exhaust that you might not be going this route but I wasn't aware they did another complete system that had a sport cat option.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336698

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3-K_QIllk[/ame]

3. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting the system put on - especially the sound!. The Capristo muffler & tips is the standard fitting for F430. I'd hate to think how much it would cost to convert the car to the Scud look! I did read F430Addict's thread on that and he's done the full Scud conversion by the sounds of it!!

Manu at Scuderia Systems knows his stuff and gave some very helpful advice. He tried to talk me out of getting a valve system (even though it's cheaper!) but in the end closed valves on early/late starts will keep my wife, kids & neighbours from getting upset!

I'm getting it installed by Joe Macari who are very experienced on the Capristo Exhausts and Manu was adamant I wont get any CELs. If it becomes a problem I'll revert back to standard Cats, but hopefully won't.

I'll post some video clips on here when its done.

4. c4sdriver

c4sdriver Karting

Nov 17, 2007
    Ottawa
    I have the Capristo headers and Twin Sound exhaust with brackets but stock cats...
    Love the sound and the flames!! Here's 2 clips;
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbG2PNVyllQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYwskRW8Io[/ame]
    enjoy

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I have been playing with my new to me 430. It has the Capristo remote. I am in the middle of a 100 mile round trip to my lake house and have realized something more important than the sound. It seems that when I have the valves open, I get 500 rpms more with the same throttle input. When in neutral, tapping the throttle gets to 2000 rpms pretty quick with the valves closed. Open the valves and the same blip of the throttle goes to 2500 rpms.

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Capristo cats are 200 Cell they are pretty much exactly the same as the OEM items

7. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    My understanding is that the F430 OEM cats typically have about 600 cells which are necessary for the strict emissions tests that new cars are subjected to in most countries. Are you saying that OEM cats also has 200?

8. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Good choice Niall.

The stock cats are 300 cell where as the Capristo are 200.

There was an issue with all sports cats that was causing the ecu to throw a CEL, but we are very interested to find out if these new generation cats are finally the real holly grail.

Please let us know when you install them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, because Capristo they have also produced this new simulator that we also eliminate the possibility of CEL with any make of cats, not just theirs.

I would advice you since you are in London, to call Rob at DMS and ask him for a price for the tune that he did for me.
    You will be very surprised by how much more power you will extract.

Mine managed to push out 539bhp on their dynodynamics dyno.

That's headers, cats, BMC airfilters and the DMS custom tune.

9. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Thanks for the info on Cats. I will post details and a few video clips once whole exhaust installed which I'm expecting to be late January.

I'd be interested to get dyno tested, so thanks for the contact at DMS. Do they tune ECU to take account of new configuration?

10. Mikael_W

Mikael_W Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    did you do a dyno before dms?
    i had a boxster and did tubi exhaust and 100cell cat, noticed more power but later did a software remap and didnt noticed anything.

11. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I would check with Capristo on what they recommend before a remap!

12. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    The tune was specific to the new configuration.
    The car definitely needs to be retuned after the combined deduction of primary cats and replacement of stock secondary cats with 200 cell sports.

The difference is felt immediately and above all the CO2 level remains within the UK MOT requirements.

I am not affiliated in any way with DMS, I am just a very satisfied customer of theirs!

:)

13. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Harry, do you know if your tune is open loop or closed loop?

14. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Hi Steve

If you mean whether the o2 sensors were connected as well as the tail pipes and the CO2 reading was adjusted continuously during the remap, the answer is yes.

Feel free to drop them an email with any questions that you might have, they are very helpful.

Rob Young, the owner of the company is a true car enthusiast and how he operates, is when a new car model comes out, he buys it, cracks the ECU and then developes the best possible tune.
    This way he does not rely on a customer's car and he is not limited on development time!

15. dadswrld

dadswrld Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    JR
    Is that how these exhausts work, shooting flames out the back, lol? Why does that happen? School me here please!

16. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    I think they shoot flames even on stock exhaust.

the full system in my car does throw CEL time to time, i end up bought a obdii reader for $30 and reset them myself and check the code make sure is not something else.

17. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    As I'm buying the whole Capristo Exhaust system the new simulator is included as part of the package. This must have been why they were very confident I would not get any CELs from the sports cats with the simulator fitted.

It's being fitted at some point next week so I guess we'll find out :)

18. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Excellent!
    Look forward to your results!

19. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Makes sense. Look forward to seeing/hearing the result. :)

20. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    I just got the car back with the full Capristo Exhaust in place (Headers, Cats & valved muffler). OMG what a sound!!

The video clips I'd previously seen with the Capristo exhaust on 430 do not justice what it actually sounds like in the flesh. I went for level 2 when valves closed but in conjuction with header & sports cats gives it a really aggressive & more exotic sound without being offensive. When you open valves to level 3 with remote it becomes offensively loud when being revved and immitates a proper race car!! As my 10 year old son just said to me "it sounds alot scarier!"

I just had a quick test drive and WOT it really does give it an F1 scream. Also noticeable is that low down torque and throttle response seem much sharper and revs quicker more like a 458. I guess the reduced back pressure main reason for that. I will do a couple of video clips and post on here, but as I said they won't do it justice. I can't imagine a 430 sounding much better; I'm sure the other 430 owners with Capristo already fitted will know exactly what I mean!!

So, if you want to liven up your 430 I thoroughly recommend the Capristo full sytem. Manu from Scuderia Systems who supplied in UK and he was a great help and Joe Macari's who fitted. For those owners in the London area, you should check out Joe Macari who are independent but an official service centre for Ferrari. I got a tour of workshop which include amongst cars being worked on : FXX, Enzo, F40s, F50s, 250 California (including ex Coburn/Evans car) and numerous other highly valuable vintage Ferraris. I think that says it all about how they're viewed by owners of highly valuable F cars and they've now taken over servicing of my 430 Spider. Andy & Adam are top guys and very friendly customer service, as opposed to more corporate approach you tend to get at main dealers.

As you can probably tell I'm quite happy :)

21. dadswrld

dadswrld Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    JR
    Nice, I look forward to seeing your vids. Enjoy!!!

22. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    I have recently also sent out complete systems here in the us and it would be nice to here comments from these owners . However not all these customers are active on these forums .

23. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Andrea, would the above combination trigger the CEL?
    codes P0420 etc?

24. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    One thing I forgot to say but relevant to CEL issue, is that as part of the package installed I had the Capristo Simulator fitted. This was setup to send back to the ECU the readings from before the exhaust change was done, so should prevent this type of CEL.

Obviously it's only just been done but if I get any CEL warnings I'll post it on here and refer the issue back to Capristo. They seem pretty confident about this solution so hopefully won't be any issue.

25. StoneCold

StoneCold Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Just a quick video of the 430 revving with Capristo fitted. To be honest my camcorder is not doing the sound justice or how much noise was being generated. The majority of the clip is with valve closed in level 2 mode, although right at the end I pressed remote to open valves to level 3. My wife who was videoing decided that was way too loud so ended recording!! Oh well. I'll do a drive by at some point with a willing accomplice and attach better microphone to camera to give full effect.

Ferrari F430 Spider Full Capristo Exhaust - YouTube