F430 none belt change question. | FerrariChat

F430 none belt change question.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chaa, Jun 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Now that the F430 has chains instead of belts, how will ferrari make up the loss in ferrari revenue/taxes? Have you any ideas? Is this why ferrari parts and cars have gone up over the past year? What say you dudes?:)

2. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Say you have to change the chains half as often as the belts, but with twice the cost? :)

edit: Actually, as you've access to one, what does the 430 owners manual thingy say about service intervals on the chains?

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Ferrari chain lube £500 per tin

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thats a point, i will have a look:)

5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It's odd that they've changed from belts to chains.

Belts need changing more often, but give consistent timing over their lifetime. Plus they're cheaper to make.

My pet theory is that the Original Ferrari V8 was designed for transverse installation where you could change the belt without taking the engine out. Now that the engines need to be taken out for a belt change (thanks to longitudinal mounting) it makes more sense to go back to chains?

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    They don't.

But moving on from that potential can of worms, Ferrari will probably say they're doing this for durability and extended service intervals.

7. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine were last changed by Verdi by taking out the fuel tank... and I stretch the replacement interval by 1 year anyway.

8. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    The e-diff contains an extra 2 clutches - income problem sorted!