F430 Sub Woofer | FerrariChat

F430 Sub Woofer

Discussion in '360/430' started by 07jag, Aug 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    My sound system in my 07 F430 started making a cracking sound. I pulled both covers off the sub woofers that sit between the seats and see the material is shredded.

Before purchasing the car I knew form these boards that the sound system was poor and contemplated a whole new system top to bottom but I do not listen the the radio enough and want to ask if anyone can recommend replacement speakers (type and size) needing no drilling, new wires etc.
    I understand the top speaker is "passive"?

Thanks for any responses.

2. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    07jag likes this.
  3. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    Thanks BT.
    This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Does the top speaker produce any sound. I'm confused as to what it does since there is no wires. Minimal effect I guess.

4. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes you get two functioning speakers to replace the active passive system. Even though there is only one factory speaker, it is wired with two pairs of wire. So there is factory wiring for two separate speakers. You get new connectors for the speakers, and do have to cut the factory harness off and crimp on the a new connector to each of the four wires. Then you just connect to the speakers and install.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The non-functioning drive is a "passive radiator".

Its purpose is to make the functioning driver "think" it is operating in a larger enclosure so the low end performance is a bit extended.

It is a poor substitute for proper cabinet design.

The Ferrari so called "sub woofer" is not a subwoofer at all. It is only a woofer.

The term "sub" refers to sub-sonic audio - that which you feel and not hear.

True subwoofers play up to about 80 Hz where there is non-directionality of audio

Good subs have huge amps to project the driver movement so tons of air is moved that can be "felt".

07jag likes this.
  6. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Can’t say I was happy with Scud Audio’s 2.0 speaker replacement, pretty underwhelming performance without a proper amp.
    I would recommend biting the bullet and getting a proper custom sub + amp from Mike. It’s discrete and beings the audio to today’s standard.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This is not a surprising result.

It is not the driver itself.

You are adding a driver of greater mechanical properties including greater mass. So that takes energy to move.

The original driver made by ASK in Italy is a very light (low mass) driver (probably smaller voice coil as well) suited to the small OEM amp.

You change that setup and you need horsepower to drive it.

Put in a small separate amp, and you will notice the difference.

honda corse likes this.
  8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I couldn't have said it better myself. It's difficult for me to tell potential customers the shortcomings of replacing only the speakers without it sounding like I'm trying to upsell them. A lot of folks just have to figure this out on their own. They eventually end up calling me again and purchasing a super amp. And, to be honest, around 90% of the folks who buy the mini sub upgrade kit and the super amp, call me about a week later and order one of my 8 inch subwoofer systems.

honda corse likes this.
  9. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    I did go forward and got Mike's 450WT amp and am awaiting it's delivery along with the speakers.

honda corse likes this.
  10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    the analogy to this is feeling the car with a 4 cyl engine. You expect more performance but you can't get it.

Double the # of cylinders and the horsepower, and the vehicle suddenly comes alive.

Add a driver of greater mass and larger voice coil, and you need the horsepower to get it to perform.

11. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi all - I am interested in this, can I have some info, price and what you have to do to fit it please.

Thanks.

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Others are probably interested in hearing this information as well, so this is what you need to do to install this gear:

The single speaker in the OEM subwoofer box has dual voice coils so there are four wires connected to the speaker. My upgrade kit includes four crimp connectors. Just cut all four wires off of the old speaker, crimp the new connectors on the ends of the wires, and connect as follows:
    Connect the red wire to positive and the black wire to negative of one of the new subwoofers (doesn't matter which one).
    Connect the blue wire to positive and the yellow wire to negative of the other new subwoofer.
    Using the fasteners included in the kit, bolt the laser cut, tig welded stainless steel adapter plates to the subwoofer box, bolt the new subwoofers to the adapter plates, and secure your original stock silver speaker grills onto the speakers. This is super easy.

To replace the stock booster with a super amp, remove the single wood screw at the front of the amplifier cradle under the dash, and the cradle will flop down. Pull straight towards you until the two alignment pins in the back clear the plastic transmission hump. Remove the single electrical connector in the back. Remove the old booster by removing the four Phillips screws holding it into the cradle. Install the new super amp using the same four screws. Plug the single electrical connector into the super amp, slide the cradle pins back into the hump and screw the single wood screw back into the dash. This is so easy to do, you could do it blind folded. In fact, I actually do that (blind folded) in my YouTube install video:
    (1) Scuderia Audio Hi-Fi Amp Cradle Removal for Ferrari 360/430 - YouTube

I am the owner (of Scuderia Audio). Feel free to call me (408-529-2701), text or send me a PM for special Ferrari Chat pricing.

ditpixs likes this.
  13. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    That sounds brilliant (no Pun intended) I am in the UK so whats the price shipped please ??

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ha! :)
    I just sent you a PM (Private Message).

15. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    A follow up on my order for 2 Speakers and 450 Watt Amp from Scuderia Audio for my Ferrari F430.

Items were shipped quickly even though I am on the opposite coast from them. I could not be happier with both the sound and the ease of installation of my 2 new replacement speakers and the amp. (1 screw for the amp) I warned them that I was not the most technically savvy person for electronics and installation but it could not have been easier and for my couple questions on installation I received a call directly from the owner.

Just the increase in sound quality tells me that these speakers are much better then the originals and although I did go with the 6 inch it was mentioned that for the increase in amp power I should consider a larger sub woofer. Probably right and maybe for the future.

ditpixs and E60 M5 like this.
  16. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    I bought 2 door speakers, 2 sub woofers and swapped the power amp, now sounds fantastic.
    F430 spider.
    Mike was really helpful..highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mike is fantastic to deal with!

I wish he could make some sub grill covers the sit out a bit
    As when volume it up the mini subs hit
    Im trying to hold off getting the 8 inch lol

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I should just send you an 8 inch subwoofer on my dime for you to plug in and try. If you heard one for two minutes, you could never go back LOL.

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I know
    Thats why i dont want u to send me one!

Spent too much $$ lately and unfortunately in Australia we cant work due to our political issues