F550 Maranello Sport Suspension | FerrariChat

F550 Maranello Sport Suspension

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by V12 Ciao, Jun 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V12 Ciao

V12 Ciao Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Schmalbruch
    My 2000 F550 Maranello has 12k miles on the odometer. I've had the car for 18 months after putting 800 miles on it last summer and having just completed a nearly 1,500-mile road trip. The cars runs beautifully and everything else works, but when I activate the sport suspension, the indicator light comes on without any discernable change to the damping. I'm aware the control units (on top of the shocks, I believe) can be replaced, but I read somewhere that they can also be rebuilt.

Does anyone have experience with this problem and possible remedies, recommendations, etc.? Thank you.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Numerous 550 owners have stated there is little difference between Normal and Sport with the Bilstein shocks. Probably most notable when cornering hard or braking hard.

308 GTB, Texas Forever and Thomas S. like this.
  3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    once again Terry is right :)

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Chris, you might not feel much difference when driving on roads but the difference is noticeable when tracking your car. For example, you'll notice a delay is ASR intervention and compensation by your active damping system for track surface irregularities...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Barry

TJsBeer, ShineKen and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I thought the traction control on my 550 was perfect for the track. It didn’t start to kick in until it needed to. A F550 is heavy car with so-so brakes. I felt the abs pumping more than once. This is where I’d put my money. Of course, the harder the pads, the greater the squeal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dale, I still had traction control in Sport Mode, but there was a slight delay before it kicked in. I would drive in Normal Mode until I was familiar with the track and then switch to Sport Mode. In either mode, the 550 gives you just enough time to realize you did something wrong allowing you to correct before traction control intervention.

It's been over ten years since I last tracked my 550. My F355 Challenge doesn't have traction control, just ABS.

Barry

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Truth is a Shark is not a track car. Mine always did best on big long sweepers. It would settle in and go.

308 GTB likes this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yep! You and I have learned this...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I made a few modifications to my non-FHP 550. I replaced the stock 17mm rear anti-sway bar with a 19mm HGTC bar and added the Maranello Skunkworks switchable steering module. The car ran off the stock steering ECU in Normal mode and switched to the FHP steering ECU when I put the car in Sport mode.

I never had the chance to fully test this setup on the track as the F355 Challenge car came my way.

Texas Forever and ShineKen like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As Barry says, the reality is a Maranello is a sporty GT for the street. I know Fat Billy Bob modified one for the track, but it was a lot of work. These cars are like tools, use the right one for the job.

308 GTB likes this.
  12. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The units on top of the shocks can be rebuilt/repaired

https://www.captainzcnc.com/

308 GTB and Texas Forever like this.
  13. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I've had this done by the captn

7 years going strong

308 GTB and Texas Forever like this.
  14. V12 Ciao

V12 Ciao Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Schmalbruch
    Thanks, Terry much appreciated.

15. V12 Ciao

V12 Ciao Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Schmalbruch
    Thanks Barry. As TX Forever said, I realized pretty quickly that it’s a very special GT and not a track car. I love my 2011 911 Turbo S (and agree with the scalpel vs. carving knife comment) and, to be honest, even more so my 5.2L R8 6-speed, but the feeling I get from driving the 12-cylinder, normally aspirated, analog Maranello is just awesome. With an interior that is the perfect evolution of old school in a body covered in Giallo Modena and - for me, at least - it’s the complete package.

Texas Forever and 308 GTB like this.
  16. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I've noticed little difference in regards to handling. But it makes a substantial difference with the ASR intervention. With Sport off, the ASR interferes too much (imo).

308 GTB likes this.
  17. V12 Ciao

V12 Ciao Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Schmalbruch
    Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate the confirmation. One less thing to fix. Now, if I can just get the window in the driver’s door realigned to eliminate the gap at the trailing edge all will be perfect…….for now.

TJsBeer likes this.
  18. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good to know, Jeff, I was also worried my ASR was going to need fixing at some point..

TJsBeer likes this.
  19. jcam

jcam Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Harleysville, PA
    Full Name:
    John Camilleri
    I have the same issue and been told by my mechanic that the window regulator can be adjusted to eliminate the "gap" at the back of the window. will have it done over the winter