F8 fuse to use for dashcam/radar detector | FerrariChat

F8 fuse to use for dashcam/radar detector

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dbalcar, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    Would anyone know what is the best fuse to tap into on the F8 to hookup a dashcam and radar detector so that they power on with engine start?

Thanks for the help

2. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I just did this last weekend, was going to get around to posting…

I used F-49 in the driver side dash since it is connected to the power socket and switched. Removing the dash panel isn’t too hard, two T20 screws under the steering wheel, then pull it rearward. The light switch connector just pulls off, the parking brake one has a locking tab on the top to depress to release it. There is also a good bit of room in there for wiring and a 12v to USB converter. For F-49, +12v comes from the left pin so you can orient your fuse tap appropriately.

I wound up running my wiring across the dash to the passenger side and then up along the passenger A pillar because it didn’t look easy to tuck the wires between the headliner and mirror mount. There’s room under the weatherstripping, but the sun visor needs to be unscrewed and corner of the headliner popped out to pass wires under the top of the A pillar corner.

3. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
  4. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
  5. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    @dbalcar it was one of the screws just above and to the left-ish of the fuse panel. There were two I was able to test electrical continuity with to the chassis (bolt on door frame, the metal frame under the steering wheel). If you’ve still got your dash apart, post a pic and I can mark it. I should have taken more pics to write up a DIY on this and the A-pillar/headliner.

6. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks, yeah after I got the bottom dash off I used the screw to the left of the fuse box and all works. Thanks for the help.

7. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does anyone have pictures of their radar detector wiring installation?

8. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
  9. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    6 months and not a single issue. No battery drain either.

05F430F1 likes this.