Fabspeed header install - 360 | FerrariChat

Fabspeed header install - 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by JoeTSI, Dec 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Anyone have any tips for reaching the two forward most top bolts on the drivers and passengers side to remove the factory exhaust manifolds? Coming from the top and bottom has not born any fruit, other than lots of creative cursing.

BAD430BENZ likes this.
  2. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I got them from underneath with combination of ratcheting and open end wrenches. Lots of wd-40 and be patient. It is a slow go and it may take more than one shot at it.

Install of FS headers is much easier so use that (and beer) as motivation. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JoeTSI likes this.
  3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Any guidance on the angle and what worked best? Did you do it entirely from underneath the car?

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    All from below. 1/4 inch ratchet with extension is what worked.

5. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    if it's any solace, when my FS headers were installed on my 360 spider by a private, well equipped shop, the 20+ year veteran mechanic spent well over 2 hrs just on the front bolts... told me had to really improvise to get the bolts on and hoped he NEVER had to install another set....

6. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    When you convert to FS headers, make sure you install Header Blankets or you will cook your E-brake cables. If you melt them after a spirited drive and then engage the E-brake while the car cools down, you will end up with stuck E-brakes and not be able to move.

Blue360 and sparetireless like this.
  7. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Good to know but didn't go with the header blankets or header wrap. I don't track the car nor do I bring it up to redline all the time. I may add some thermal wrap or protection to the brake lines though. Appreciate the heads up.

sparetireless likes this.
  8. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I used thermal wrap and it didn't help. After the third set of cables (read that as a $6000 expense) I finally broke down and got the Header blankets from FS. Add another $1400 to the $6000 and it was a very expensive lesson. I have a 2002 360 Modena. It gets very hot in the engine compartment even without a spirited drive. BTW, when I say a spirited drive, I did not mean tracking the car. I'm in Colorado and often go on some great mountain roads with the friends.

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have used header wrap on my FS headers and they seem to working out fine. Another precaution you could take to protect the e-brake cable is to surround the cable itself with a protective barrier. TechFlex (no affiliation) makes several products that with a simple install can protect the cable and any other cable-like component in your engine bay. Here is a link to the product database of thermal insulating products ... https://www.techflex.com/land_hitemp.asp

Best regards,

Steve

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I found that using a simple universal socket adapter such as this ....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

... did not provide enough clearance to loosen those bolts.

This is called a flex socket ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ... less clearance required to get to the bolt head. Sometimes, these flex sockets are also at the end of wrench.

Give that a try.

Steve

Regards,

Steve

11. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Thanks Steve! Yes, finally got the stock manifolds out. Never.....again. At any rate, sent the headers and high flow cats out to be ceramic coated and ordered header wrap for them as well. I think with both I will be fine. I am also fabricating a barrier for the cables as an added level of protection, and may also go with the TechFlex product as well. Appreciate everyone's feedback! Such a great resource to have.

12. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In addition to all of the above, I also had to use a ratchet wrench (see below). Took a lot of creativity of extensions and ways to reach in. Even my wrench got stuck because of half a mill of clearance and I had to use a metal file to shave a bit of it away to free it from the nut.

The OEM headers were probably designed to be installed with the engine out. Took me 16 hours to get the driver side out on my first attempt.

h[​IMG]

13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    does anyone know if the 2 heat shield plates that come with the Fabspeed headers do anything to actually protect the alternator and the AC compressor from the heat of the furtherest forward header?

I don't have Fabspeed headers but since they said the heat shields work with other brand headers, I wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to get.

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The two heat shields came with the headers and when installed they appear to be correctly positioned to provide some degree of protection

Steve

Mimmo Blue and sparetireless like this.
  15. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Agree. The shields are a good design.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mimmo Blue and sparetireless like this.
  16. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    for people that didn't buy the headers, is the shield for the AC compressor a better piece than the one that comes stock on the car?

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Oh yes! The stock shield is a piece of flexible heat shield material. Albeit, I suppose it serves its intended purpose. But the Fabspeed shield is metal. Not sure if inconel alloy or stainless steel, but it is not flexible and the mount they provide is quite a clever design.

Steve

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  18. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Got the car back on the road and it sounds AMAZING! Went with the Fabspeed headers (obviously), TopSpeed 200 Cell High Flow cats along with the Tubi non-valved exhaust which was already on the car. Huge difference not only in sound but throttle response as well. I had the headers and cats ceramic coated then both wrapped in exhaust wrap to ensure I don't melt the emergency brake cables. Loving the wail the car now has at full song.

boostedt0y likes this.
  19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Is it really loud?
    I've got a non valved Tubi as well and considering headers, but it's pretty loud already.

20. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Not obnoxiously loud, no, but it is noticeably throatier and at full throttle it does scream above 5k rpms. Will get some sound clips once it warms up some.

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Thanks. What about idle and cruising speeds?

22. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    HI Its Joe at Fabspeed Motorsport USA
    a couple factoids on our Ferrari 360 performance racing headers.

In 1999 the Fabspeed Motorsport team designed, engineered and dyno developed these competition long tube headers for all Ferrari 360 models worldwide. Our team is always looking to achieve more superlative Ferrari sports car sound and reliable power and in certain instances greatly enhance the longevity of V8 Ferrari engines as when headers fail you can get a vacuum leak and its public domain that 355 to 430 have had OEM faulty Ferrari headers that have damaged engines to unsuspecting Ferrari owners.

The Fabspeed performance 360 headers delete the North American Ferrari 360 'emissions precatalytic converters" that are lodged into each header collector. The ROW rest of the world 360 cars did not have this extra restrictive catalytic converter.

Ferrari on the 360 Challenge stradale actually eliminated the primary precatalytic converter. On last FYI all Ferrari 360 have 6 catalytic converters in a series. 1 on each header and 2 in series on the OEM bolt-on catalytic converter pipes Left & right respectively.

I own a 360 spider and we have sold many many sets over the years with no heat issues or complaints. Occasionally we read about heat issues or people concerned about radiant heat so we at Fabspeed responded. While my personal car and many others run polished headers with no issues for many years.

Several years ago we offer 355, 360 and 430 headers with JET HOT 2000 degree ceramic coatings. All of Fabspeed headers also come with stainless steel radiant heat shields for the alternator and A/C pump too versus other clones or knock-offs of our headers. These are value added pieces that work and can work on any header.

For ultimate protection we designed and engineered 1750 degree Thermal blankets that cover the 355 , 360 and 430 headers for extra protection and piece of mind. These also sound insulate any aftermarket header and keep the sympathetic noise resonance down. These are made for Fabspeed by a Military spec supplier.

These Ferrari 360 cars really really wake up with a set of dyno tuned headers with high velocity merge collectors.............these compliment any and all OEM FErrari mufflers and or any aftermarket F360 system.

If you are the Philadelphia area............cruise by Fabspeed Motorsport USA and come take a tour of our 25,000sqft facility and see our design engineering and manufacturing facility and you can drive my 2003 360 spider with equal length competition headers, HJS German sports racing catalytic converters and a free flow rear muffler.

happy Holidays

tonyc and Ballvice like this.
  23. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Any CEL issues with the pre_CAT delete?

24. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    None at all. I bought Big Daddies Garage O2 extenders and mini cats to hopefully prevent that from happening.

25. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Can you throw in some pics when you post up the sound clips?