488 - Factory fitted protection film | FerrariChat

488 Factory fitted protection film

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by martisracing, Mar 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Has anybody any experience of the factory fitted protection film?
    The reason I ask is that the dealer who is supplying my Pista is offering to have it fitted FOC. Before anyone asks an aftermarket film is not an alternative being offered by the dealer it has to be the factory fitted item so it comes up on the option list.
    As I understand the factory film is not as sophisticated as some of the aftermarket offerings but is it any good?
    The one positive is being factory fitted that it counts as an original option as opposed to aftermarket I guess that means a bit to people who want no aftermarket parts on a car come resale time.
    To be honest I have never been a fan of protection film and have never had it fitted to a car in the past. I prefer the natural paint finish and using a chip touch up kit (the Chipex one in the UK gives brilliant results) for the odd stone chip that I pick up.
    However not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth I would be interested in views from from owners who have had the factory film before making a decision.

2. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Don’t do it. Had it on my FF. Was too thick and came lose after a short period of time. On top of it, it’s by far more expensive than a custom fitted protection film.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The bigger issue to me would be the quality of the underlying paint. On my 3 Fcars I had to have the paint refinished prior to applying the film.

LARRYH and Gullwing like this.
  4. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don’t do it. As noted above every Ferrari I have ordered has required paint correction.

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    Same advice.
    The 'factory' protection has to be applied at the dealership before the customer delivery. Get a proper protection by a professional wrapping company.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Exactly this ^^^^^.

7. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Another vote against the factory film, not saying the film itself is an issue, but agreeing with others that more likely than not the paint will need some correction prior to installing film. I'll also add that I personally prefer 60+ days of paint curing before adding film. I know it's dry when it leaves the factory, and has the transport time as well, but experts in paint indicate minimum wait time of 60 days before doing anything to the paint, including film, so I judge that date from the date I receive the final pic from the factory. Just me.

Jim

LARRYH likes this.
  8. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I’ve the original ones and they are ok. Under the from spoiler they are starting to detach but that’s probably due to some touches with the ground when I forget to use lifters.
    An aftermarket one could be better and for sure cheaper.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Don’t do factory film. Get aftermarket. It’s not like Ferrari isn’t applying an aftermarket film anyways. They just buy cheap film from a supplier and apply it on at the factory for an excessive price.

The only people who will not want to buy a car because it has PPF are the concours competition guys that never drive their cars.

Even then, PPF protects against swirls that you’ll get when cleaning the dust off of the car.

boobernackle likes this.