Fake Service Book F430 ??? | FerrariChat

Fake Service Book F430 ???

Discussion in '360/430' started by fezza, Aug 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fezza

fezza Rookie

Nov 23, 2004
    North East - UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've been to view a F430 today and when I requested to view the service book I was given something which quite frankly looked fake!

I've handled a few service books recently so I know what one should look and feel like. When I questioned this with the dealer, who sell many Ferraris, they looked at me as if I was stupid. I'd expect to see 4 stamps on each page too, not one per page.

This was a 2009 5 owner car and amazingly all the service stamps were from one Ferrari dealer - JCT Leeds.

Any idea what's going on?

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/acal0111/image1_zps280982a9.jpeg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/acal0111/image3_zps0ea58a17.jpeg

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I thought Maranello Concessionaires closed in 2004!

I think they have used an old V8 blank service book to fill in the service history after presumably the proper book was lost - the history might be correct and they have all correct details but they need to explain fully what has happened.

3. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Bob in Makiki likes this.
  4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think it now trades as Maranello Parts and is part of the Synter group owned by Roger Penske. So they are not a Ferrari dealership?
    Alan

5. fezza

fezza Rookie

Nov 23, 2004
    North East - UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I had read your blog about obtaining a duplicate service history only last week. So that was fresh in my mind and I was conscious it didn't even have 'DUPLICATO' displayed as per your blog. Thanks for checking your database :)

I will be in JCT leeds next week so may ask them what they know about it.

6. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    #6 voicey, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
  8. fezza

fezza Rookie

Nov 23, 2004
    North East - UK
    Full Name:
    Andy

OMG !! Plus £3.90 postage.

I was surprised they kept a straight face when they handed me that. Duck tape and poor quality photocopying.

I didn't think a Ferrari dealer would even consider stamping anything other than a genuine or duplicate book.

9. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    The give away is when it says things like check Carburation and 308 models only. You're not going to get any mention of an early 80's 308 in a 2009 430 service book. :)

John.

10. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I would have thought that if the original book was lost they should have gone down the path that Aldous outlined in his blog. Cobbling together something like they did is very unprofessional. Also - as has been said - Maranello Concessionaires was no longer in business when the 430 was produced.
    Alan

11. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    I never got a service book. Just a computer printout of all the service history since at only 2 dealers

Do you really need the actual service book??

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You guys and your "documented service history"... yeah I trust a stamp in a "book". *rolls eyes*

What does the car look like now? I'd just as have a log by the PO of the maintenance done on the car with date and mileage. That's what I do with mine.

Michael B and KC360 FL like this.
  13. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    A stamped book is only part of the story. If there are no other service records available then at least it tells you which workshops to contact in order to verify the details of the maintenance.

f355spider likes this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I keep it in a spreadsheet and I scan the receipts with the date. Easy enough to track back if needed/wanted.

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    In the US it seems as if the only stamp is the PDI. IIRR in the UK the stamps seem to carry more weight as the car can be advertised as having a FSH (full service history).

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Having stumbled across this old thread whilst investigating a replacement service record book, I just wanted to correct a couple of misconceptions that were posted here without reply:

Maranello parts are part of the Synter group and they are an official Ferrari Dealership:

https://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/dealers/
    About Us

An official Ferrari dealer sells the book so I suspect that there is no issue with them stamping it at all! : https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExternal/Search.aspx

The service record book shown in this thread is a duplicate of the original, UK supplied Maranello Concessionaires service record book that used to be supplied with UK cars.

This book was originally supplied to provide a back up record to the official Ferrari service book in case the original was damaged/lost or stolen, so when the car went in for a service, both books needed to be stamped up at the same time.

My 1990 348 came with it's original Maranello Concessionaires service record book (which is now full), and I have a second, newly re-printed book to continue My service history, and I can tell you that, amateurish as it may look, the printing is exactly the same as the original books.

It's not fake, it's not dodgy and it's not something that has been "cobbled together" by some dubious seller!

Any UK Ferrari Dealership should have no issue whatsoever with filling this book in and stamping it!

17. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I don't doubt it is a valid service book for an older v8 Ferrari, but it isn't the correct book for an F430. If a replacement is required the correct book can be supplied by any Ferrari dealer.
    Maranello Concessionaires closed in 2004 which is prior to the F430 being introduced.

18. Keith Jecks

Keith Jecks Karting

Dec 31, 2005
    It would be very easy to check the record anyway as the Ferrari network have computer records of all the work carried out by main agents. My 430 came from Maranello's and the service record they refer to is the computer one, not the service book

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I don't even think dealers use the service books anymore to record the services. Everything gets recorded in the computer system.

20. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Move on. Plenty more out there. Without documented (soft copy) evidence, it's worth zilch. The stench coming off that v8 e bay book would make me run a mile

21. Keith Jecks

Keith Jecks Karting

Dec 31, 2005
    Scudf1: I agree - the only value I can see in the book is to record independent dealers' servicing. As JCT are an official dealer, check out the service history with them and make your judgement based on that information.

22. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Don't mind the records anyway. A good PPI will reveal all the information you need for the car.

23. UAEF430

UAEF430 Rookie

Jun 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Al Nakib
    There is a main dealer network where you can track the service for the Ferrari. For my car, I was able to get a print ou of the previous services/work done on the car.
    My main issue is I took my car which has 30K on the clock to the main dealer, whe the service was cometed the invoice/service receipt was issue for a 36K, when I asked, the main dealer oppologised and and issued a replacement service record!. Another concern the car started to leak engine oil after the service, The car is usually parked on a locked Garage, it had been there with not even one drop of oil, now after the service it strated to leak! bad experience.

24. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Homemade