FALL SPOTTERS... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FALL SPOTTERS...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

2. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just what does "+1" mean?

3. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Agreed

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #129 absent, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I saw the 599's with the Panamerica deal....
    I dunno... do you guys think it will go down as a "classic" Ferrari? I tend to think no. Its numbers are amazing, but the shape, while interesting, does not make me drool. Lambo G looks amazing, F430... pretty cool. 612... No.
    550/575.... nice look, IMO.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Go see it live without that silly Panamerica livery and I'm sure you'd change your mind.

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Mike,
    First of all, the 612, 599, 575, 550, 456, etc, are GT cars, not "super sports." If the front engined GT don't float it for you, you may never care for the GT cars and that's OK, but I am sure you realize, there are numerous preceding examples of their class, that have become highly valued as classic designs and milestone projects.

As someone once said in song, "and wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same?"

Bill

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I like (very much) the 550/575.
    Older GT's like yours, Bill (although I have not seen yours specifically) are wonderful cars. Will the 599 have the same cache as a 250 (really, any version of it), 365, etc... ? I'm guessing no.
    Front, mid, rear engine.... I'm an equal opportunity car guy; I have no set definition of what makes a great sports car ("super", GT, or otherwise), # of cylinders.... whatever. Gimme a great design... something original, eye catching, with great handling, and some HP would be nice but not an absolute requirement.

9. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Owned two different 550s, and just placed an order for a 599, but anyone who think modern day Ferraris with their production numbers (except, of course, the "super" cars like the Enzo, F50, etc.) will be appreciating in value over time is likely delusional.

10. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Mike,
    For many years the 365 2+2's value languished. They were very under appreciated, available in decent condition, for $10K to $20K. A number of them were cut up for the basis of "re-creations." Great designs, IMHO, cannot be fully determined, when they first hit the street. It requires passing the test of time. What feeling will it evoke in say 25 years?

Granted that price-wise, the production numbers that Dr. Gary mentions, have to be considered but there always seems to be a demand for Ferraris and I don't think they'll ever build enough to quench it fully. Some models will always depreciate less/appreciate more. BBs, BBis, and TRs have been starting to gain ground and I would imagine the newer GTs, will eventually begin to move upward also.

Bill

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I like the 599 for most of its design, some stuff I would change (dual tail lights a la Enzo, replace the Blair witch wheels), but having an Enzo engine in it is really all I need to know.

Designwise current Ferraris aren't just cutting edge anymore (Enzo being the exception). You can tell that Montezemolo tailors these things to lawyers and doctors (sorry). If you want flash, pizzaz and exotic, you have to look elsewhere: Lamborghini, Pagani, McLaren come to mind.

BTW: I liked the two tone color scheme from the Panamericana. Just as I think only in a two tone would I ever dare to drive a 612. Monochrome it looks just bloated.

Since we successfully brought this thread off topic and it is December 1st, I think we can retire it altogether.