FChat NE polo shirts. Interested? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FChat NE polo shirts. Interested?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fyi - i'm waiting to hear back from LLBean about whether they can do something like what ryan has done. he hasn't finalized it yet, but they'll get the basic idea.

doody.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Sorry I haven't gotten it done yet - my mother just returned from her honeymoon and it's been a madhouse around here. Between that and INS I've had a plate full of worries.

I'll try and get it done in the next day or two.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You can't rush a masterpiece!

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    LLBean finally got back to me this evening, with profuse apologies for the lengthy delay in responding.

they CAN do the design. it WILL cost us a buttload. until we get a final design and commit to them that we want to do this they won't exactly know what it'll cost. they said it's VERY complicated. their guess, which they caveated with "it may be more, it may be less" was about $200 in setup fees and $11 per item for the embroidery.

the net net, on a $19 ea. Double-L Polo, with some volume discounting, would be about $38 a pop if we can get orders for 24 shirts. 18 would be about $47 a pop. 36 would be about $35 a pop.

those numbers include (i) the shirts, (ii) embroidery on each, (iii) the setup charge, (iv) shipping from LL Bean to the distribution point, and (v) a free shirt for ryan for doing the design work and a free shirt for our esteemed host rob for not suing us for violating his trademark ;).

so i guess we'd tack on another $3 or so per shirt for packing and shipping to each of us.

i like this design, and i'm sure ryan will make it even more bang-up once he does a final version. the guys in the tri-state section have a nice design, but it's rather simple. ryan's design has a lot of panache about it, IMHO.

we'd get a proof copy of the design embroidered on a material similar to what we planned to order (eg: polos) to make sure it was kosher.

i've done corporate stuff with LLBean before. the shirts are good quality, but definitely not "amazing" quality. the stuff that FCA produces are serious heavy-duty polos (and they charge like it). the last batch of stuff i did with LL Bean was in mid-2000 (if memory serves) and those polos are in decent shape still. if i've gotten four years out of them thus far, i can get at least another two. so they're not junk quality by any means. they're just not the hottest stuff on the block (but for $19 each....).

i'm willing to deal with the logistics and front the money. i know where most of you live :).

here's the problem though - as i go through this thread, it seems like 18 might be a hard number to hit - never mind 36 or so. i've started a separate thread to try to gauge actual interest. if we can only get 18 at $50 a pop or so all-in, maybe we should consider backing the design down. for comparison, something like the tri-state guys are doing would run us something like $38 each for 18 units (all-in) down to $30 each for 36 units - so this more complicated design is a good $12 per shirt or so - real delta.

if anyone has additional tweaking suggestions on the design, please post them in this thread for ryan.

if you think you might be interested in something other than a polo (tote bag, oxford, baseball cap, etc.) please discuss that here. there is a SIX unit minimum for the embroidery. so if you want a baseball cap, we need to order minimum six units. i think the $200 set up fee is overall - so that's not per shirt -vs- hat. but the application fee of $11ish per item will apply to any item. obviously the setup fee would get amortized across all the items ordered - not just the shirts. and to repeat, these are just estimates from LLBean so far given the complexity - it could be a bit more - it could be a bit less.

doody.

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ryan - what about a black border instead of that gray? here's a rasterbation of it.

doody.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I like the black border with white letters. But I also like the gray border with black letters. Oh, I'm so confused. I think the white letters on the black border might stand out a little better.

If you guys are all cool on LLBean, I'll be happy to go with that. But lets be fair and give the other embroidered a chance to bid on this. Cool?

Birdman

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    absolutely. no argument whatsoever.

doody.

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Response from our local embroiderer below. Looks a heck of a lot cheaper than LLBean. -Birdman

I can get you solid color, 100% cotton, pique polo shirts for $20 each.
    This price includes the embroidery application. I do not charge set up fees, per color fees or have a minimum order requirement. (Shipping the order to you will be an additional charge depending on the final number of shirts, generally you can add $1.50 per shirt for shipping).

Also if your club members want to have different color shirts you can do
    so. I would suggest however to adjust the logo stitching to work with the shirt color. (i.e. with the logo that you sent me, it would look best on
    light colors. If you want it on dark colored shirts I could change the
    lettering and gray border to a lighter color.)

Let me know
    Deb

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Personally I don't really mind about the price - I'd go for the Higher Quality provider - I of course have no way of judging this. Doody/Birdman - so how do we decide here? It seems that the Doody LL bean thing started in the first place because there were doubts about the other embroider's ability to deliver...

I say the two of you should make the decision together somehow based on your experiences with the two companies.

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    she's saying she can do these things for WELL less than half the price of LL Bean?

you've done stuff with her before? what's the quality of the shirts and work?

doody.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Doods,

She did shirts for us for a benefit last month and they were perfect. I think the issue here is that she is a small operation and can keep her costs down. To answer Dan, there has never been an issue as to whether she can do the job, the issue has been whether we can design a logo that will look good embroidered. Because she was attempting to help us with that, her helpfulness cast a shadow of doubt upon her abilities to embroider what we came up with. (A good deed never goes unpunished!)

It seems silly to me to spend twice the money to get them from LL Bean. Incidentally, I asked her to recommend a shirt based on quality and cost and she suggested the one from the catalog that she thinks is the best shirt for the money. You could pick a more expensive shirt if you absolutely need to spend more cash. You can pick any shirt you want from her supplier:

http://www.thecorporatechoice.com/

Myself, I am happy to keep the shirts under $25. (Keep in mind, I'm the guy driving a 308, so I'm on the poor side of the list!) It's a polo for driving to FChat events, not a sport coat. Keep it cheap and we can all buy more for our family!

Just my $.02

-Birdman

12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Big question has to be quality. I have Ralph Lauren polo's that are 20 years old and have held up great while I have much newer ones that are already looking like crap and you can easily see the difference in quality. Would rather pay more if quality is better

13. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #63 dan360, Jun 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    apparently dan needs some work to do :).

jonathan - if you're happy with her them i'm cool with her. no need to overpay - that's for sure. i've used LL Bean before on semi-complicated stuff and it came out great - but i can't claim their shirt quality is outrageous - it isn't - it's solid stuff, but not great.

question: will she run an embroidery sample first like LL Bean will? just to make sure the embroidery looks good? i assume so, just wanted to check.

on pricing, remember that i included shipping from the provider to whoever is distributing them PLUS two free shirts for rob and ryan, so the apples to apples is 23-24 - still tons cheaper that what LL Bean quoted me.

question: are there minimums? i mean, if dan really needs an fchat thong (dan - do you usually wear thongs?) can we do one item here one item there or are there minimums like with LL Bean? some of the baseball hats look nice. fleece. etc.

that catalog has an INSANE volume of product in it - including polo shirts. egads. what's the difference (cost, quality, etc.) in the incredible breadth of selection? how on earth do we decide? i'm going to go dig through my polos and get some brand names to see if they're on their list. the FCA polos are very heavyweight and seem to be incredibly high quality ("outer creek" rings a bell - on the corporatechoice list!).

doody.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes.

Yes, we'll add a couple bucks to each shirt to cover the free ones for Ryan and Rob, plus shipping. I was figuring probably $25 per shirt actual cost based on her price of $20 a shirt.

No.

Be serious! It's for his wife!

FIIK. That's EXACTLY what I said to Deb and I asked her to recommend a good shirt at a decent price. She suggested one that she uses a lot and thinks is good. Given all the choices, I'm happy to let her direct me to a good product. If I picked one, I would be shooting blind.

By all means, If you can find one you prefer, go for it. We could upgrade. We do not all have to get the same shirts either. Just keep in mind that her price is based on the shirt she suggested, so if you opt for a more expensive shirt, the cost will be higher. For the ease of it though, lets at least try to narrow it to just one or two kinds of shirts so the order doesn't become a nightmare.

Birdman

16. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Broder bros. is the largest wholesaler of these items with good service. A lot of manufacturer's of these items are primarily t-shirt makers trying to go upscale like gildan, jerzees etc. Take it from someone with a little experience from the past about this, order a blank from a couple of companies - Izod from the website birdman posted, also outer banks and the best i have seen is labeled the "earth collection". Nice cotton pique tough wearing yet comfortable. Also stitch count is what makes a nice embroidered design. That too can be sampled. Pick the shirt, compare samples then order. Blank shirts can be had quite cheaply. I have the wholesale price lists somewhere. Then in the end everyone will be proud to wear their shirt.
    T

17. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Just remembered, the digitizing of the design is the crucial step and requires experience. That gets put onto a disk and can then be read by any of these stitch machines. In other words, birdmans connection could digitize it and bean stitch it or the other way around. But the skill is in digitizing the design and that involves the count and would determine if the final product looked good ie had some 3d feel.
    T

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Just my $.02 . . . :) I've ordered stuff from LL Bean before, and from private embroidery product companies too. Quality IMHO is very comparable. LL Bean has a very limited selection of products on which to embroider, but quality is generally good. With small companies, you can select the product provider - pick a good shirt maker, and I think we'll be fine, especially if it's only $25 per.

Put me down for one too.

vty,

--Dennis (already in Montreal!!!)

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Deb's latest response:

Hi Jonathan,

Actually I checked out the LLBean site, the shirt prices are pretty much
    the same. The difference is I am not charging all of the other fees that
    is why the final cost is so much less. I actually make a decent fee on
    what I am charging you. It is my business model to make embroidery
    affordable to everyone.

I get the "if you are half of the price of so and so you must not be
    that good" quite a bit. I am constantly educating people on why fees
    were introduced (way back when) and why I believe they should be
    non-existent today. Once the company / club sees the quality of my work
    and the high quality of the apparel I use they are hooked.

What I do for my customers is as follows. Once you have the final
    artwork to me, I will do the digitizing then I will send you a digital
    graphic of what the embroidery will look like for your approval prior to
    stitching. There are usually some minor changes once you see what it
    will look like in stitches, color modifications etc...

Once we have something that we feel is "go to go" I will stitch a sample
    on the pique material and bring you a shirt so you can see the quality
    of the garment. I don't like putting the two together until you see the
    finished embroidery that way if you have additional changes they can be
    made without wasting a shirt. Changes at this point are rare but it
    happens.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to digitizing and production, I am
    not happy until you are happy.

Deb

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    deb sounds like the shiznit!!!!

still have to check my polos re: brands.

any word from the ryan-meister on design finalization?

doody.

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No word from Ryan. YO YO RYAN! You there???

I'm outta here for two weeks in Hawaii (yes, it is work, not a vacation, though try to convince anyone of that!) When I get back, I'm hoping we'll have a final design and I can get Deb started. It won't take long at all after that. If you guys want to get started without me, I'll PM Deb's info to Doody.

See ya in 2 weeks.

Best,

Jonathan

P.S. Today was probably the best driving day so far of the season and instead of cruising around NH with Steven, I was packing my gear for two weeks of WORK in Hawaii. How much does THAT suck??