News

Fear not the seat pot (potentiometer) How to rebuild one without removing it.

Discussion in '348/355' started by roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the pot is broken that is not going to put it where it needs to be.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think it also need to have SD1 to program. Do SD2 and SD3 not able to program these seat pots?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Of the 3 only SD1. And those are getting rare even in the dealers.

5. nileseh

nileseh Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    The seat position potentiometer/gear box is the same component used in mid 90's Jaguar sedans. I have a 1996 XJ12 that experienced failure of the drive coupling as described. here. I opened it up, modeled the coupling and 3D printed replacements from ABS plastic. It's a bit stronger than the original nylon, using a .005" resolution and modifying the print configuration for increased density makes a pretty good part. The original spring clip can be reused or a small o-ring will work as well to hold the petals against the ball on the gearbox output. The original ones I made were a bit rough (I hadn't refined the printing) but they've been in service for 3-4 years with out problems so far.

If there is interest I'll figure a way to make them available for about $7.50 each. I sent some to a guy in Australia with a 355 the other day to try out. He already had someone else who wanted some but I have yet to come up with a way to sell them. I may put them for sale on eBay to see how that works. That may be the easiest.

spiderscott, Challenge, emac and 3 others like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good luck with the sales, Niles. As you have discovered, unlike the Jaguar potentiometer, the F355 potentiometer is a vital part of roof operation. Your 3D printed sockets will take away some of the "terror" of not being able to find a fix for our roof problems :D

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Really great that you have achieved this.

Thanks Qavion for adding this link to my roof repair thread. Nileseh, if you put these up for sale on ebay or somewhere, let me know the link and i'll add it on my Spider roof repair YouTube video.

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I fixed my mine by installing a roll pin through the sphere as shown on this site, but if you are going to offer new improved ones, I'd be interested.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the roll pin method allow slip at the potentiometer end stops? I think the idea behind the "limited slip" ball and socket is to stop the potentiometer breaking if the seat moves too far in a particular direction.

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can't see how it would allow any "slippage", but I have not yet had any problems and I did that fix 3 yrs ago.

Qavion likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Gizzi, ernie and Robb like this.