Ferrari 308 Air Pump & Pulley Removal - Cover needed | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 Air Pump & Pulley Removal - Cover needed

Discussion in '308/328' started by ItalianProjects101, Dec 5, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

  1. ItalianProjects101

    Feb 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    I am currently rebuilding my engine on my 1978 308 GTS (US Spec) and part of the rebuild, is that I want to eliminate the emissions (I can do this where I am located since the car is over 30 years).

    I will be replacing the stock camshafts with a set from CatCams so I'm wondering what is the correct (not just visual but also technical) to cover the endplate.

    Upon my research I found out that Euro spec cars had a blow by cover which was plumbed to the bell housing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

    On the US car however I can see that on the bell housing there is also this pipe but unsure to what it is plumbed to:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

    Is the below photo from another thread I found correct? It plumbs to the cylinder head?

    If that is the case, I presume just an endcap would be enough correct? I noriced Carobu did the following:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

    Would a stock euro left side cylinder head camshaft end plate cover work on the right side US cylinder head?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
  2. bitsobrits

    bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

    Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    #2 bitsobrits, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    It's the correct size, but the air pump cam cover and the cylinder head both lack provision for fasteners to hold it in place.

    To accomplish this on my own car, I changed out the cam cover for a euro spec one (has the required holes, and no lumpy mounts for the air pump), then drilled/tapped the head (!) to install studs to hold the new cover. So not a trivial undertaking. Btw, the engine was out at the time. Would be very difficult with the engine in. FWIW I used the vented to the crankcase cap arrangement.

    A better/easier solution might be to have a custom plug machined you could seal into place where the cam seal formerly resided. Much easier to do with the engine in situ.
  3. smg2

    smg2 F1 World Champ

    Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    That's a simple part to get machined. Cost is usually the bugger for one off parts.

    Round cap with a step for an o ring like the later QV cam front seals. Held on place via tension of the cover.

Share This Page