Ferrari 355 F1 F1 Pump Problem | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355 F1 F1 Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tomov69, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello Guys,

We have a 355 f1 5.2 Europe version. My question is how to bleed the F1 pump system. Is there any filter there which might be blocked and where is the locotion of it. The pump is making presure but bearly making pressure, because when I remove the rubber pipe there was no pressure on the oil. Is it possiable this pump (f1 system) to be bleed without diagnostic.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks a lot of for your answer! I have read all the topics you have send me and most of the things I have already know and some I didn`t so they were in great help to me!
    I have few more questions which I didn`t find answer in the topics and maybe you or some of the other guys can give me advice with:
    1. Yesterday I`ve been working on the car for like 6 hours and for those hours I have hear the pump making sound for few second only. When I bleed the system the fluid that going out was really small amount. Is it possiable that the electric pump to be dead and to not making enought pressure or the problem might be in stuck fastener connector?
    2. I have Leonardo diagnostic and have bleed with it a lot of 360 models, with diagnostic and manualy as well. Problem on this 355 is that I could not connect to the car f1 pump ECU. I have read that all ECU modules in 355 are separate. Is it possiable the immobilizer to block me from reaching the the different ECU? The car engine is running with no problem. I can start the engine and put it off as well, no problem. So where could be the problem that I could not enter the car`s ECU?
    3. Another thing I have manage to see is that on the dashboard the car stays on 1st gear, but when I push the car is moving like it is on neutral gear?

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    As this is a European car does it have an OBD2 connector? IF it does you should be able to go through the main connector. A European car may also have a three pin connector located at the Transmission control unit that you can connect to and perform diagnosis. There is a filter in both the reservoir and in the inlet to the pump. See attached pictures, it is very common for the filter in the pump to be plugged causing low pressure and extremely long pump on times. If you need a pump I would suggest installing the 360 pump kit available from Ricambi USA as I did the beta installs.
    I have no affiliation just a quality product.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  5. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Thank you a lot that you help me, thats what I thought that might be the problem. But let me stop talking I`m going to take it off the car and start cleaning. In the mean time can you send me instructions and diagrams how can I install a 360 pump on it. I have the pump itself but do i need some other parts as well to make the swap? Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Actually the F1 pump filter you are listing and referring to is for a 360 and 430 models. The 355 actually has a micro screen in the top of the hydraulic block. It is not removable but it is cleanable.

8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mark, maybe we're thinking of two different filters? The filter I referenced above is inserted into the pipe union thing. 185858. Is there a different one that also clogs?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Probably lots of possibilities. Does anyone know what happens if the pressure sensor goes faulty and gives out a high pressure signal? Does this tell the pump to stop running?

It's not easy to see how the immobiliser would affect the system at least not with the ignition in RUN position. The ECU is powered directly by the battery and ignition switch.

F355 F1 wiring schematic

11. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello @windsock , thank you again for your information you gave me for the stuck filter. I found it, it was in realy bad condition. Down you can see pictures. I have tare apart all the F1 system and clean everything. Today I installed everything on the car. And the pump is now working, but the pressure is really low. But at least now the sounds that makes are good. I thing that I have fix the problem with the pump, the filter and the tank. I think that I have other problem with this car. When I star bleeding the car, when I press the shift pads didnt change the gears, I try to bleed it manualy with the pads and with the pedal as well and nothing happens because no gear is engaged and there is no air or fluid coming out from the venting screws. I`m trying to bleed manualy, because with my Leonardo diagnostic I could not reach the ECU. With this diagnostic I have fix 360,599 and its working fine with those cars. When I``m doing the diagnostic it comes a massage that I have no connection between ECU and diagnostic. Is it possiable the ECU of the gearbox to be brocken, and how can I understand that its brocken because of the following simptoms:
    1. With shifting pads I could not change the gears
    2. With the diagnostic I could not enter the ECU

How can I understand that the ECU is brocken. In my diagnostic menu I have 355... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello again guys,
    I hit on rock again. Does anyone have an idea how can I realease the car from 4th gear. Its stuck on 4th gear and the shifting pads does not work. Any idea how can I go to neutral, because I could not start the car?

13. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The 355 does not have the pipe you are thinking of on the 360 and 430 units. That filter actually goes in between the pump and the hydraulic control block. The only two filters in the 355 are the reservoir itself and the screen on the inlet of the pump I attached earlier in the thread.

14. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    You need to resolve your communication issues with you diagnostic equipment. At this point you are just guessing and likely creating more problems then you are fixing.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I agree as above. You need an sd or fix you leonardo.
    By taking everything apart you now have way to many variables.

I would put everything back together and hook it up to the sd.

If you need to put the car in neutral just disconnect the actuator from the transmission and do it manually.

16. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

No it doesn't have an OBD II.

I have a Euro 355 F1 and There is no OBD II plug unfortunatly.

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Where are you pluging the leonardo into the Car?

There are many different ECU connections on the euro cars, Just wondering.

18. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The connector should be within about 6 inches of the gearbox ECU. It will be a three pin connector that will likely be plugged into the main harness of the car. Disconnect the connector and plug your scan tool into the three pin connector that goes to the Gearbox Control unit.

19. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello Guys,

This is the way and the place I put my Leonardo. But it says that I have no conection to ECU of the gearbox. It says that no electro conection to it. It says no connection. I have change batery and all electric but still nothing.

I`ve done something else. I remove the plug from the ECU and I found which pins are for 1st second and 3rd gear. Also I found the pin for the F1 pump. I force it to ground and possitive. And all solenoids are forced to work and also the pump. But from where should I bleed the car under the car screw or above there is also a screw. From where should I start bleed from down or above. Or from both together.

I bleed the car once and the shift pads are now working. But i think that I still have air into the system. So please tell me from where should I start to bleed the F1 system. I upload photos to see the the locations from where I can bleed the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Correct - that connector is plugged into the CAN line (which in the US goes to the OBDII socket).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You bleed using the lower bleed screw by the clutch pumpkin.

taz355 likes this.
  22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yup what Dave said

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was also told there was an F1 plud over by my main ecu. No proof of this just that they told me this. A technition
    that is

24. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I have heard from more than one 355 owner and or mechanic, that when the 355 system starts to go it's virtually impossible to fix it. A close friend of mine put the 360 mod in his 355 F1 and it hasn't given him a minutes problem and works perfect.

I guess it's a bit expensive to convert, but when one considers the time wasted trying to correct a faulty 355 system, perhaps it's worth it? Now if they cold just fix the gear LED display!

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek