News

Ferrari 365 P Paris Motor Show 1966

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by redsun, Jun 30, 2010.

1. redsun

redsun Rookie

Jun 30, 2010
    Hello Friends. Has the title says im looking for documentation (photos, articles etc) on the 365 P that was on display at the Paris Motorshow in 1966. Can anywone hep me out?

Thank You

andré

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #2 bigodino, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #3 Ed Niles, Jul 1, 2010
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There were 2 built. Lou Chinetti said that there were a lot of differences between them as he restored his.

Jeff

5. BigTex

BigTex Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The one in Europe got the stainless rear wing, to hold it down......scary aerodynamics, I guess....

R&T did a Salon??????

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    As I recall, the one that came here was the one built for Gianni Agnelli, and had an electric clutch for his gimpy leg. Someone out there will remember the S/N's of the two cars.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Agnelli car was the silver one. I like this one better without the rear wing. Nice photos Ed, as usual.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago April 2011

8. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    The Agnelli car is 8815

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #9 F1tommy, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    The white Paris Autoshow car is #8971. It has a 2600mm wheelbase and was completed at the end of September 1966. #8815 was completed in August 1966.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago April 2011

10. Boudewijn

Boudewijn Moderator

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #10 Boudewijn, Jul 2, 2010
  11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Especially the first picture clearly shows the webbed spokes on the wheels. Something it didn't have at the PF introduction pictures and it doesn't have them today either. But there are many differences between how the car was when it was first photographed by PF and how it became later.

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Is the white car the same car? looks like the fuels filler migrated from the rear butress to a new location going through the glass.

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The white car, s/n 8971, went through a number of changes. Why I haven't been able to find out. For instance it was fitted at one time with the same rear spoiler as s/n 8815 but this has been removed since. The wheels have changed, the number and placing of ventilation slots, the fuel filler relocated etc.

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Any mention of the 365P brings to mind the classic Russell Brockbank cartoon from R&T, in which a 365P is pulled onto the shoulder near a sign pointing to Roma, with the suave European gentleman owner at the wheel, both doors wide open, and two female companions fighting over which of them will win his favor. Oh, to have his problems! Fred

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    A have that issue. Very funny.

I had never noticed the extra web on the wheels before. Half the early photos have them and half don't. I like it better without.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago April 2011

16. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Budd Keeney's old car-8815, was built on a modified LM chassis and is a SUBSTANTIALLY different car than Lou's car which is based on a 365P2/3 chassis and has a 4.4 motor.

I child hood friend's dad was a builder of the LM based car, and I've been up close and persona; with the P2/3(as I call it), while they appear similar, this is where the similarities end-in appearances.
    LMs handle...well, it is an LM....the other is a different car, entirely
    BOTH are hugely interesting editions of coachbuilkt "road" cars which started life as REAL rtacing cars, later to be used as styling and technical exercises...These 2 cars really mark the end of the era for this sort of thing.
    Glickenhaus's DINO would fall into this rarified air...they-Ferrari-pretty much didn't do this sort of thing after these few cars and as THE 275 Series passed into the Daytona/FIAT ownership era, as liability for FIAT was simply waaaay too unacceptable.
    "Neat" cars....

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, my recollection was that Keeney's (and his predecessor) car was 8815, but was afraid to trust my memory and too lazy to look it up. The interesting thing is that both Bud and the earlier owner (whose name is lost in the mists of time) thought it was based on a P-car chassis. I'm pretty sure the engine was bigger that a 275, having had a wild ride in it. Ah well!

18. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Ed, we spoke on the phone in the 1970s-later 70s??-about this car! It was "known" as the "365 PB{Posti Berlinetta}Speciale..."

It came originally with-as was told me by one of the builders-either a 210 or a 211 mill, it got swapped out after repeated head gasket fiascos in attempts to rebuild it with 213 head gaskets! (they will sort of be OK in 1, but NOT the other, as it turns out-the memory thing which you reference afflicts us all, I'm sorry to report!).
    Subsequent USA attempts at trying to "make it work", resulted in scurrulous rumors of a motor swap, using a butchered 245...ALL unconfirmed. Current configuration is unknowm to me.
    I had chased this car for 3 years(!) with a staggering amont OK'd as a purchase ceiling-I could've bought Stu Baumgart's old GTO{the one with harrak's LM motor in it...} more than 3 times, based on the allowable limit!!!!
    Despite all my/the efforts, I caught up to the car 3-6 months subsequent to Bud's heart attack, and lost track of it until recently{3 yrs?}...
    It is now in-costwise-"P car" altitudes currently...as is the p2/3...but wait-IT IS A P CAR....

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #19 bigodino, Jul 3, 2010
    Hi,

It seems you might be able to comment on my article, especially about the P chassis. Please feel free to make any corrections or additions. Thanks.

p.s. the last thing I know about 8971 is that it is still owned by Chinetti Jr. 8815 is somewhere in Asia.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
  21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #21 bigodino, Jul 3, 2010
    of2worlds likes this.
  22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn Moderator

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #22 Boudewijn, Jul 3, 2010
  23. Boudewijn

Boudewijn Moderator

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Two versions almost at the same moment.

24. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Thank you ! A particular delight of this cartoon is the range of scenarios one might imagine.

25. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    If I remember correctly, Chinetti's were silver in colour correct?