Ferrari 458 spider roof hardtop problem ==> Magnetic Proximity Sensors | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 spider roof hardtop problem ==> Magnetic Proximity Sensors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by johnny sorensen, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnny sorensen

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    johnny sorensen
    Hi everyone.

My 458 spider hardtop is working just fine... it seems. It opens and closes perfect, however the dashboard says that the roof operation is not complete. The beep beep beep alarm stays on.

my scanner says its the right hall sensor / microswitch. Somehow it seems like it doesnt not detect that the tonneau cover has closed properly in the right side.

It seems like the Magnetic Proximity Sensor is not available for purchase.

anyone who know if it can be used from a california? or a off brand sensor can be fitted?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  4. johnny sorensen

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    johnny sorensen
    Thank you so much qavion

that’s a great find. I really appreciate it.

I’ll update in here if it works

Qavion likes this.
  5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    That was a really common issue on the early cars and it was due to an improperly adjusted linkages on the RH roof latch mechanism. there are several linkages to adjust to achieve the correct spacing on two micro switches. I will see if I can find the bulletin. I have not seen a failure of the switches themselves.

Qavion likes this.
  6. johnny sorensen

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    johnny sorensen
    Thanks for the information. I would appreciate the details if you can find it.

I just got a scanner on the car. It had an active test function where it shows that the driver sensor was active/inactive as the magnet passed by it as the tonneau cover closed.

but for the passenger side it just said “error” - it could suggest that it wasn’t communicating with the sensor at all. Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. johnny sorensen

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    johnny sorensen
    just an update.

Turned out that there were no electronic problems. no sensor problems. no ECM problems.

We ended up loosing all the bolts for the latch system that closes the tonneau cover to give it more play... and that did the trick.

the cover was adjusted to close it too tightly....

thanks for the assistance though...

Praecox, tbakowsky and Qavion like this.
  8. Rolf458

Rolf458 Rookie

Aug 18, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rolf Naeder
    Hi, I have the same problem on my 458 spider (2011). Do you know how the adjustment should be done?
    thanks
    Rolf

9. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Having this issue. Helpful thread but seems like documentation on what to loosen/tighten would be really fantastic for those of us searching :)

10. johnny sorensen

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    johnny sorensen
    We bascially loosened every bolt we could find in there... this way it all got a lot more "play".... i i drove the car with loose bolt for 3-4 days and opened and closed the roof 10-15 times at least,,,, then i tightened again... worked perfectly.... 4 month later, problem came back.... did a repeat... solved again...