Ferrari 458 Transmission Failure? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Transmission Failure?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Brennen458, Jan 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brennen458

Brennen458 Rookie

Feb 1, 2022
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brennen Wickenhauser
    Hello so I recently noticed an oil leak under my 2014 Ferrari 458 spider and upon taking it to a shop they tell me it's something with the transmission as the oil is coming from there, however, they can't access it because it requires Ferrari specific tools only the dealers have. So I tow it to Ferrari and they tell me that it could be a seal which would be 19k to replace, or it could be the whole transmission has failed. The unfortunate part is if I replace the seal and it turns out to be the transmission I have to pay the 19k on top of the 52k for the new transmission. Some background, this car has 13k miles I bought it from a Ferrari dealership a little over a year ago and have never tracked it. Was driving back from a cars and coffee and noticed a leak upon arriving at my home and parked it in the garage until I could tow it to a shop. I'm wondering how if the trans failed I was driving fine the whole time the fluid was leaking without any odd noises or changes in handling. This is leading me to believe its the seal but alas I have no mechanical knowledge so I am looking for some enlightenment.

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A $71K leak. Holy ____. I would find a trusted independent shop. Good luck.

Sean Chen, NYC Fred and bball16 like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I second the indy. The dealers will screw you up one way and down the other. Maybe post in the regional forum and see who they use in your area. Also post in the 458 subforum to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The dealers have only one solution for all transmission issues: new transmission.

You buy a brand new one and they bolt it in. There is not much actual diagnostics going on at most Ferrari dealers. Just bolt in new parts mainly.

Do you have any photos showing the leak, how bad it is and/or where it's coming from?

Ray

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    As an independent I have struggled with these transmissions and the repairs that I can offer. While I have been trained in the repair and complete rebuilding of the dual clutch gearbox, there are a number of special tools needed and it is a complex job. However, there are a number of shops and facilities that offer rebuild services. Shop around and find a competent shop that can diagnose the issue and direct you properly. There is an internal seal that does fail and requires a complete disassembly of the gearbox to replace. Similar to water pumps, there is a weep hole to alert you to this failure. It is important because it will now have the two different fluids mixing and that is not good. This could be where your transmission is leaking from and why they cannot tell you 100% how bad the repair is. Like you said, it runs great and is probably not damaged at this point.
    Good luck and shop around.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I believe there is a guy in LA area set up to repair/rebuild those. A truck ride to LA is just not that expensive.

He has done You Tube presentations explaining what he does.

I don't know how many people I have explained this exact scenario to during their consideration of buying a dual clutch equipped car.

SAFE4NOW and RayJohns like this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There goes my wish of getting into a 458 someday. If I can't fix it, I don't want it.

8. Brennen458

Brennen458 Rookie

Feb 1, 2022
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brennen Wickenhauser
    I do not have any pictures unfortunately the car is still at the dealer, however I have some new information to add. The fluid is leaking from the DCT Center seal, however they're as I said before unable to determine if just the seal has failed or the bearing in the center section is damaged or something else caused the seal to fail. Getting some different quotes from shops around the valley as I live in Scottsdale Arizona.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 is an amazing car.

While I definitely relate to what you are saying about not wanting any vehicle where you, yourself, cannot do all the maintenance from A-Z, I don't think I'd let possible DCT gearbox issues prevent you from owning a good example. I will say, I would probably lean more towards buying a used 360 with a manual gearbox, if I were planning on keeping it long term and doing all the maintenance myself.

As Brian mentioned above, I think there was a guy on YouTube who posted videos of tearing down the 458 gearbox. I might have them linked in my YouTube files. I'll check in a minute here and see if I can find them.

Ray

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    This video gives a pretty good run down:

This one below has super annoying music playing, but it does show a lot of the internals, etc:

ernie likes this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 1st video I posted above shows the main shaft seal stuff. If it's leaking from the seal(s), you generally have to replace those. I just replaced both seals on my Toyota gearbox over here... always a fun job pulling the gearbox out.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

yelcab likes this.
  12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Hollywood dude seems to know his stuff. Watching these videos can certainly strike fear into owners. Favorite quote: "Take pictures. Don't call me!" LOL

On a serious note, I have always hated the concept to "lifetime" fluids, including Toyota's WS fluid. My motto is to change it. My independent--literally one of the best in the world--states Ferrari recommends 80K mile DCT fluid change intervals (this is not in the WSM of course) and that Challenge cars go for ever without problems. They have the Shell F3 but rarely need it.

My 458 had the DCT fluid changed 4-5 years ago so I think I will leave it alone for now. Final thoughts from a curious novice: I can't help but think that all seals benefit from frequent driving and that heat is the enemy. So drive them often, but stay religious on fluid change intervals and levels.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    When we had a Lexus IS250 that supposedly came with the WS (world standard) life-time transmission fluid, I used to drain out the fluid at the bottom of the transmission at every 5,000 mile engine oil change, and put exactly the same amount of new WS fluid back into the transmission. The first transmisison died at about 20,000 miles under warranty, and the second transmission lasted until 200,000 miles and we donated the car to charity.

Life time fluid, Hah!

Challenge likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is an awfully thin service manual. It's good they even have it in print.

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Right? haha. That's actually just the supplemental manual for the gearbox only. I have a transmission from an early Toyota Supra in my '90 pickup, so I had to buy it separate.

The shop manuals for the actual truck and its electrical system are much, much larger :)

Ray

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #17 RayJohns, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    I heard the US Postal service never changes the oil on their mail trucks... and that seems to be working out fine for them :)

In the auto industry (these days) "life time fluids" is loosely understood to mean "we expect it to fail before you'll need to change the oil anyway"

On my Toyota gearbox there, the oil always came out pretty clean when I changed it. However, when I actually disassembled it, the insides of the cases were lined with sort of a sludge. A sludge which no routine oil change would address. Also, both magnets were covered with metal shavings. So just changing the oil isn't bad, but it's probably not going to keep the inside of the unit spotless.

Here are a few pics of the gearbox above during service, as an example.

Cleaning, inspection, kevlar clutch, static balancing flywheel / clutch cover assembly, etc. In a couple of the initial disassembly photos, you can get an idea of the sludge which was lurking around in there, despite recent fluid changes:

Ray

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    My ‘13 has been tracked 35 days last year and is over 40,000 miles. The car has been one of the few on this site that’s been driven hard.

I’ve had zero DCT issues, and no leaks.

My opinion - these cars are babied and not driven enough. That is not what a Ferrari is for. At least not for me.

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 is a hell of a good car. It's the best V8 Ferrari which has ever been made as far as I'm concerned. Certainly the most enjoyable Ferrari I've ever owned.

I'd think a well maintained 458 could go 100K miles without even trying. Like you say, it's the museum queens which have problems.

Ray

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I find it odd that the 458 gearbox experiences electrical failure..but the 488 gearbox experiences mechanical failure..it's almost like they traded one weak point for another. Have yet to see a broken fork in a 458..but think I'm on the 6th 488 with a busted fork. Weird.

20. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What does that run roughly to get fixed?

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    14-25k best case scenario. Worst case is a new unit..depending how bad the damage is.

Scott98 likes this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    #23 mdrums, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    What is causing all your 488 transmission issues? Any idea? I have not heard of repeated 488 transmission issues. I googled this as well and can not find any reports on various forums etc. I am defining curious as a 488 owner with 7800 miles on my 2019 now and warranty is up this October.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most have been covered under the extended warranty..thank goodness. I have no specific answer to your question but it is usually related to a hard launching. In speaking with the dealer, they have said there was a casting problem with the fork material. Hopefully it has been rectified for the later cars.

24. Brennen458

Brennen458 Rookie

Feb 1, 2022
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brennen Wickenhauser
    Alright so I had my car shipped to Costa Mesa to a shop called Francorchamps of America and they were able to do a rebuild for 13k so definitely an improvement from Ferrari quoting me 75k for a new transmission. The shop said it threw a bearing which in turn hit the seal causing the leak. Any idea what could’ve caused the car to throw a bearing? I drive it decently spirited but usually just once a week for usually under 50 miles, that being said I definitely don’t baby it. Never been tracked or even on a rally so did I just beat the poor car too hard?

Il Tifoso likes this.