Ferrari 488 rear parking camera not working | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 rear parking camera not working

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nascarracer, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nascarracer

nascarracer Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Brent Reynolds
    I have a 2016 488 GTB and the parking camera is not working. The screen on the dash changes from the regular display, but the screen is black. One of the wire looms melted a little from being too close to the muffler. I ohm tested the wire from the point beyond the damage back to the plug at the diffuser. The wire seems to be ok. I checked the fuse behind the seat and behind the glove box. The fuses are good. Does anyone know a resolution for this. I am uncertain if a new parking camera will fix the problem. The wire that was exposed in the harness was the blue wire. It could have gotten up against a bolt on the diffuser and shorted out the camera a guess. If anyone knows the remedy, please reply. Thanks.

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3

Nov 29, 2006
    Water infiltration into the cameras and connectors is common as is the meting of the harness. You will likely need to replace the harness and heat shield it as well as a replacement camera. Very common.

3. nascarracer

nascarracer Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Brent Reynolds
    Thanks. I was leaning on condemning the camera and wiring, but wanted another opinion. I will order the camera assembly and post if it fixes it.

4. OT III

OT III Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2023
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Ollie T
    Hello Windsock,
    I'm curious about the status of your backup camera. Was the problem resolved when you installed the new rear camera? I'm having the same issue. I took my vehicle 2016 Ferrari 488 GTB to the shop to have the annual maintenance and the rear camera just stopped working. Now I have a black screen when the vehicle is placed in reverse mode. I checked the connectors and wiring and everything looks fine.

5. nascarracer

nascarracer Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Brent Reynolds
    I repaired my harness where it was melted and the camera worked again. I wrapped it to protect it from the heat of the exhaust. I did order another camera, but never used it. Since it was a special order, the dealer wouldn’t take it back. If you determine you need the camera, I could sell the new one at a reasonable rate. They are quite expensive.

6. OT III

OT III Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2023
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Ollie T
    Thank you for your response. I checked the wiring and connectors and don't see any damage. I even checked the fuse, specifically designated for the backup camera, and it looks good. I already ordered a new camera which should arrive by Wednesday, May 8th. I'll switch it out and hopefully that will solve the problem.

7. OT III

OT III Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2023
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Ollie T
    OKAY, the new backup camera was installed and it does not work, I'm lost! When the vehicle is placed in reverse mode the display is still black. However, when placed in drive mode the display reverts back to AM/FM mode and the radio works fine. Also, the rear sensors work when backing. Again, I inspected the wires, the connectors, the harness, the rear camera fuses and everything seemed to be in good working condition. At this point, I'm not sure what the hell is going on? I inspected all fuses related to the parking camera (i.e. F-38, F-77, F-104, and F-105) and the fuses are in good working condition. Can anyone tell me what I missed? I do know that the vehicle's warranty has expired as of January 2024, LOL!