Ferrari 550 Door Panel Removal | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Door Panel Removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rick3216, Jan 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rick3216

rick3216 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    #1 rick3216, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen posts on door panel removal on the 550 but there was one important part left off of the instruction list. Here are my instructions.

1. Remove the arm rest by removing 2 phillips screw from underneath the arm rest. The arm rest can be bonded on to the door panel leather so you may have to massage it loose before you can pull the arm rest toward the back of the car to unhook the back of the arm rest for removal.

2. remove the 3 phillips screws from the very bottom of the door panel (door card)

3. Pry the window switch/s up to remove them from the window switch surround and disconnect the wires by pulling them away from the switch.

4. There are 4 very small screws that hold the window switch surround to the door panel. Remove them using a magnet to retrieve the loose screw if needed.

5. Under the window switch surround are 3 10mm bolts that hold the door handle to the door frame. Remove them

6. Pull out on the door mirror plastic cover to pop it off of the stud that holds it.

7. To remove the door panel massage the panel away from the bottom of the door first as my panel was bonded to the door frame like my arm rest was. Once you confirm that the lower portion of the door panel moves freely away from the door you can begin lifting the door panel upwards to slide the panel off of the while plastic holds that anchor it to the door frame. You will also have to release the rubber door window molding from the top of the door panel.

8. Once the door panel is free from the door frame, unplug the wires and disconnect the door release lever and door lock lever rods by pushing up on the plastic locks where the rods connect to the levers on the door panel and then sliding the rods out. I removed the door release lever from the door panel by removing the single screw under the release lever. Mark which rod goes to which lever for reassembly. It is helpful to have another set of hands for step 8.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SM550 likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Good stuff, thanks.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Excellent job

That's the kind of posts we need more of.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your procedure, it's greatly appreciated.

Dave

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Rick,

You're an example of the adage "Quantity does not mean quality." You've posted only seven times, but each post is invaluable.

Thank you for this set of instructions.

Barry

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thank you for this perfect timing. I need to remove my driver's door panel to get to the mechanism activated by the outside handle and had planned on doing so tomorrow. So your post could not have come at a better time or with better instructions. Frank

6. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Rick -- thanks to you my job was a success. Toughest part was putting those four little screws back under the switches. My problem -- driver's door would not open from the outside -- was due to extra play (as Daniel from Ricambi suggested) in the rods leading from the door mechanism to the latch. Once I took up the play -- the bar screws in and out -- the problem was solved. Regards, Frank

7. mod4b

mod4b Karting

Sep 21, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    K
    do you need to remove the entire door panel to desticky the interior door handle / latch?

8. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I did not have to remove the entire door panel. I was able to undo the connecting rods at the door handle / latch end. You will need to make note of the adjusting nut so not to change the length of the rod when you put it back.

9. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9 pkl03, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this picture of when I removed my door latch. You can see the connecting rod adjustment. You can disconnect from here.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Much easier to release the rods at the ends near the latch. Its simple and you don't lose any adjustment. Push down on the plastic clip, rotate it and slip the rod out.

11. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    I just got off the armrest and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the handle off, can someone be very specific. Thx

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks for these instructions the inside door release on my barchetta had a little to much play for me so looked this old thread up and was able to remove the armrest and adjust the door Mechinism ... Total time about 15 minutes ...including looking up the thread..
    Very helpfull

13. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    I have followed your instructions and successfully removed the door panel on my 99 550. I found that some of the levers were glued together and had to remove them and soak overnight in solvent to free them unfortunately i"m having a problem setting the levers and rods back in their original position. would anyone have a actual picture of what the mechanism should look like. thanks

14. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    thank you