Ferrari Diagnostic Tool for $775 (Launch X431 V Pro) | FerrariChat

Ferrari Diagnostic Tool for $775 (Launch X431 V Pro)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nessus-gte, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    As part of my troubleshooting of my F430’s F1 system, I decided to try the Launch X431 diagnostic tool. I originally learned about X431 from Fchat user mechanicservice6, in the F1 Clutch Job thread. Ultimately, I choose to go with the full kit; X431 V Pro with 8 inch tablet. I bought it from a the largest eBay seller of Launch diagnostics for a Best Offer price of $775.

There is not a whole lot of detail about this X431 kit on FChat that I was able to find. Mostly just mention of it once in a while. So I am sharing my experience with this tool.

It does successfully recognize my F430 and offers diagnostics across all of the cars modules (or at least those shown in the snippet below).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I was able to run a bleed cycle on the F1 actuator and run real time data logging on a ton of F1 parameters. So far I have only worked with the F1 system. Although, I expect to address TPMS next and will report back on that. I should note though, that the included documentation on this particular kit was VERY sparse and the ODB2 adapters are unlabeled and quite mysterious to me. Here are some pictures of what you get with this one:

Attached Files:

tifosi101 likes this.
  2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Charles,

Oddly enough I will be attending a Launch seminar this evening with one of the factory reps onboard.
    I'm interested in the same unit for my F430 and will be paying close attention to its ability for gearbox diagnostic and activations.
    Looks like it has what we might need for the F1 system and clutch replacement if needed and much more..
    Thanks for sharing..
    K//

MarioVU1 and virendra like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Maybe you can ask about when they will have e-diff functions?

Thank you

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I'll put that on my list..!
    K//

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you can find out more about the 360 support, that would be great too!

2NA and MarioVU1 like this.
  6. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Burli81 likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you so much

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    One more question ..did you remove the actuator and turn the screws as per user manual ?

If so ..was it a major pain ?

9. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Both STEYR Differential parameters or Ediff are classified as VCD or V=Version identification/C:Read fault, Clear fault/D:Read data stream
    I will question the depth of this and what the future holds for SW updates..
    K//

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Interesting. I have a Launch CP123, and it connected to my 360 easier than any other OBDII reader. I just picked up a Foxwell scanner, which came with the Ferrari software installed, but I haven't tried it out yet. Will be interested to see how this turns out. Was pretty impressed with my Launch reader, much better than the Actron readers I have

virendra likes this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Good point ..it does not say anything about activation like other areas

12. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    #12 virendra, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    I have the LAUNCH X431 Series IV which has the built in printer. Wonder if it has similar features as your tablet to communicate with an F360 or F599 as it does come with a diagnostic cable adaptor which can fit on the Ferrari OBD connector. Its actually a product designed in Germany and built in CHina. As a result the technical info in China is v limited even though they give fantastic service. I bought my unit 5 years ago and still get sales promo updates from their team. Very keen to hear from you Flyingbric242 as to how you went with the fty seminar?

13. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Would be fantastic if your feedback is positive . Good bye to reliance on the SD2 and 3 for basic info we all struggle to get for maintenance issues. Just getting an appointment for an inspection in cities like HK is 1 to 2 months due to the number of cars here.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The Launch docs that state coverage are not reliable - they say they have 348 coverage which cannot be accessed thru OBDII as those cars are not OBDII.

My guess is Launch hacked the Ferrari software or Leonardo as IP theft in China is quite common.

Jaguar36 and tbakowsky like this.
  15. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand

Quite possible they reverse Engineered it but with a German Parent Co, I am not sure if that is the case. Very impressive list of code reading capabilities for the F599 though. Makes life a lot easier

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Having software for a car that you can't connect to makes little to no sense which leads me to believe they copied the software. The amount of development time for every make / model would be so extensive that I just don't see it happening.

17. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Very true. That is an important point. Ediff support is very minimal. In contrast to F1 Gearbox support which does:

S004 PIS Adaptation
    S004 Self Learning
    S004 Reset wear index
    S004 Clutch configuration
    S004 Upload/Download

18. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am working on that in another thread. :D
    Come join us.

F430 Removing F1 Actuator to tighten bleed screws?

19. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Gentlemen,

I attended the Matco/Launch event last nite and have the following to report.
    1-To start there must have been 75+ techs there from every brand imaginable so getting a indepth discussions with the Launch rep was tuff.
    2-Launch has now a newer version of the X431 V pro which is the Launch X431 Torque...he demo its features with the identical version sold through Matco.[Maximus]
    3-Still digging deeper into the Torques additional ability's if any to support our Ferrari's when compared to the older version X431 V Pro.
    If anyone has deeper insight to this later model [Torque] Please feel free to chime in..
    K//

20. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Nice. There are definitely some quality of life improvements with this new version.
    • Newer Android OS
    • New Interface
    • Kickstand on the back of the tablet
      Launch also says this about it:
      • New Exotic Vehicle Coverage: Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Maybach

I hope that will distill down to E-Diff support and finer PIS adjustment, but I'm not making any bets.

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  22. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hey Guys,

Just finished conversation with Launch technical department and there is No additional diag abiltys between the X431 V pro or launch torque.
    It will be hard for me to justify the addition $$$....
    K//

23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for posting!
    I am surprised it can do an oil-life reset because (at least on my 458) the tool has to communicate with the factory server (as it is also checking for SW updates)

24. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is a link of one video using the pro ..if you subscribe or search all their posts .you can see on different vehicles including a 458

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sorry to ask again ..but does anyone have the inside track to the developers so how to ask for e-diff functions and a fix to pis ?

I tried multiple contacts with launch and other forums with no luck

Thanks in advance