Ferrari Dino Key Fobs | FerrariChat

Ferrari Dino Key Fobs

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Mar 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    After having had many questnons asked to me about Dino keyfobs, i am posting a refferance from many years of having asked questions to my "mentors". although they don't want to post or explore, their info has been so benificial to me. although not requested, i post my information, while acknowledging those who lead the path before me.

If anyone can add anything to the info below, please do so. the photos are taken from my private collection. i have tried to place them in chronological order. however, do not go off of this is there is legimate reason not to.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #2 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the earliest fob that i know of is the "RAGNI" fob. it corresponds with other ferarri fobs of the era. i have pictured a ferarri ragni fon that was delivered with a 275gtb/4 fob.

ther is some contriversy as to whether this was "factory issued" or not
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #3 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    The Dino fob that was most used was the dino I.C.O.R. fob. This company was based out of Milano. It is also used as the replica for the "A.J. Marton" fob that you will see later.

In these photos, you can see what it looked like (front and back) inside and outside the original wrapper.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #4 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    The best replica Din fob i have seen, the A.J. Marton fob, both front and back and including the packaging that he provides.

I have four Dino's. I use these fobs on my cars. For the price, they can't be beat. You will see them on ebay frequently. These replicas are the the best of the best. If you chose to buy one of these, you can't go wrong.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The last fob in the phot is an fob that i have used for my everyday keys for the last 4 months. I just wanted to show how well done they are. I have no interest in marton or hios fobs, but they are the best i have seen.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #6 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    here is a photo fo the "repro" dino fob front that has been on the market for at least the last 15 years. i can't confirm this, but it was supposedly made by ragni under contract. remeber, ragni is the firm that made the earliest of the dino fobs.

Mark Schue likes this.
  7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #7 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    Thes eare the last of the Dino fob's. They were made by O.M.E.A.. they are a better representation of the first repro version. however, the repro is smooth in nature an the o.m.e.a. version has a small relief in the fob. either way, the omea fob only applies to the later dino's, and not the early cars.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #8 tx246, Mar 22, 2006
    Over the years, i have had many questions about dino fobs asked. The ICOR fob is not only the most common, but also the most used. Attatched, is the best way i can show that they age based on part of my collection. You will notice they get "more worn" as they progress. all of these are original fobs. although you may think the more worn ones are less valuable, i disagree, all they show is that they were more loved.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i owuldn't say that that is shiny, i would say it is more a result of the photography.

11. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting stuff.
    Thanks for taking the time to post.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Yes, the AJ is fantastic and the only off point striking me is the curve of the key "hoop", way off from the shape of my original fobs that I bought from John Kennedy 12 years ago.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    aj's fob isn't 100% accurate. however it is DARN good. unless you knew what you were looking at, you could be fooled. having said that, i don't have to worry if it gets stolen.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

i was outbid, but the fob sold at a high price given it's condition. when new, these fobs looked much like the aj marton fob. the shinyness of this fob is the worn nature of the metal. for being in a desk for 25 years, it must have lead a tough life (or maybe it was just well loved).

15. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    I have seen a fob in this condition. The owner buffed the gold paint off the brass and made it shiny. He then repainted the dino script blue. The blue color was off from the original.

16. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    After reading through various posts on Key Fobs I thought this would be a good one to re-open to ask a question or two:

From what I read for a '74 US GTS, the yellow rather than the gold is more period correct right?

Based on this, I followed a link to Ferrari Parts in the UK but they don't seem to have them anymore. Neither do the websites of Rutlands or reoriginals. Anyone have a direct pointer before I start making phone calls?

I'll post another thread with some details of my car :)

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    there isn't a source that i know of for new, original fobs.

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    For the avoidance of doubt I'm happy with a repro (rather than >1K for an original!). The gold repros are nice, but it seems a yellow one would be more appropriate to a '74.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    email ajmarton

20. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I purchased the "AJ Marton" fobs from Andrew, and am very pleased. Also shared with a few other folks who had different years than mine.

Yellow/blue Dino - early years.

Brass/blue Dino - thru early GT4's

Cavallino Rampante - later GT4's, probably other 308's.

Either way, I am using them as my daily key chains....and putting the originals in the safe deposit box. They look great (small deviations from original for sure), but more than good enough for daily use.

John

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

john,

interesting that you too think the brass is later. i would make the same arguement based on omea making the 60's-early 70's ferrari fob, and then icor coming into play. i have always thought this made more sense.

i poste dthe timeline as i did based on inofrmation from a source that knows more about this junk than anyone else i have known. he is on f-chat occasionally and maybe would like to shed some light on the timeframes, just to clarify.

22. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I know people with original 206GT and early 246GT cars which both came with the ICOR gold w/blue script fobs. If there is such a thing as an early yellow w/blue fob that came with an early car, I'd love for an original owner to confirm that is the case.

...Keith

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    keith,

this corresponds with the original order in the first sevral posts of this thread. i would be interested if anyone else could shead more light on the subject.

anyone? anyone?

24. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Just so I've got it straight, ICOR is the original Dino fob maker of record (both early and late models) and Ragni made two Dino fobs (an early one which may never have shipped with a Dino and a repro of the ICOR but with a yellow face/blue script).

In terms of value, ICOR is expensive (>$1K depending on condition) and Ragni is less so?

I remember an FCHAT Dino owner was looking at buying a yellow fob at one point for big money. Unless someone has a testimonial from an owner that their Dino came new from the factory with a yellow fob, I couldn't justify spending much money on it let alone more than on an ICOR fob (but that's just my POV).

...Keith

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    well, not really.

the earliest fobs were the ragni fobs on the leather. i have only seen two (and have one in my collection). ferrari was using ragni for fobs in the late 60's

icor followed that (at least as i have known -even thou omea fobs and hood badges seemed to be current in the ealry and late sixties)

omea for late dino's (like i said, i personally question this i have seen early-mid 60's omea badges and fobs for ferrari. why would the omea dino fob pop up for late 246 production? even though i don't see the logic, several have siad this IS what happened).

the repro ragni fob didn't surface until modern times (define that how you may - i don't have production details, but it is the fob that has circulated and was the only repro of modern status until the aj marton fobs)

when you talk about items as old as these, obviously rarity factors in. i have run ads for years in the fml and bought off ebay for many years for items such as these.

currently, in my collection i have a good number of icor style fobs and passed on several. i only have a couple of omea fobs and have only passed on very few.

i have no evidence that relates to production numbers, but there is no doubt in my mind, regardless of when they were produced, the omea fobs are much rarer.

regardless of this, as stupid as these fobs are, they are original and are cool to have.